Author Topic: insects anyone?  (Read 9759 times)

Offline jaktron

• Forager
    • View Profile
insects anyone?
« on: November 02, 2010, 09:27:04 am »
I was thinking about primate evolution, the physiology of the human etc and thought that before hominids began hunting with tools (ie spears) they probably included those animal foods that were available without "hunting", so this would be molluscs, both land and sea varieties, insects, earth worms, grubs, bird and reptile eggs, crustaceans, catchable reptiles and amphibians, various invertebrates and other tasty morsels not oft talked about in these here circles. Granted a juicy raw steak is more appetising than a plate full of locusts, but having gone as far back as the paleolithic age, perhaps we can add in some authentic cuisine to the bargain.

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Re: insects anyone?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 09:29:56 am »
I was thinking about primate evolution, the physiology of the human etc and thought that before hominids began hunting with tools (ie spears) they probably included those animal foods that were available without "hunting", so this would be molluscs, both land and sea varieties, insects, earth worms, grubs, bird and reptile eggs, crustaceans, catchable reptiles and amphibians, various invertebrates and other tasty morsels not oft talked about in these here circles. Granted a juicy raw steak is more appetising than a plate full of locusts, but having gone as far back as the paleolithic age, perhaps we can add in some authentic cuisine to the bargain.
Lurk more. They're talked about plenty around here. ;)

Welcome. :)
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline ForTheHunt

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 09:31:47 am »
I'd eat snails and stuff if I had access to them. Worms or anything else gross, nah.
Take everyones advice with a grain of salt. Try things out for your self and then make up your mind.

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
  • country chickens and lambs and wild bugs
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 10:09:09 am »
i can eat everything, except spiders :P
bugs or country chickens

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 10:22:29 am »
I tried eating insects once....A long time ago...
I had beaded dragons, and one of the insects they love to eat are mealworms,

one day I just took a big handful of these worms, and fried them in butter.
I remember they were pretty tasty...
They have a hard exoskeleton but are very juicy inside.
I bet they taste good raw too, but at that time I didn't want to eat a wiggling thing.
I think their head can be cut off then it should die soon and I can maybe try it raw then. Hmmmm......

Also you can keep mealworms for a while and feed them some nutritious food before you eat them to make them even better  ;)

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 10:26:46 am »
or I think they may have been Superworms (Kingworms)...
these...

they are like mealworms bug much bigger and more meaty.

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2010, 11:35:52 am »
i've eaten worms, mealworms, ants, ant larvae (REALLY good), wasp larvae, bee larvae, maggots, rice snails, termites, etc all raw. i really wanna find some bigger grubs. i used to find them all the time in my backyard as a kid. just under rocks and stuff. now that i actually want to eat them though, i can't find any... those witchety grubs in australia look awesome. gotta try that at some point in my life. i actually grew mealworms for a bit solely for my consumption. they were okay but probably would have been more tasty and nutritious if i fed them better

i thought the worms kinda sucked, but everything else was pretty good to awesome, especially the larvae. ants taste different depending on the type. fire ants are too acidic tasting. but some ants are really sweet and tasty.

i've read that beetles and other insects with hard shells (like grasshoppers) sometimes carry parasites... but i've also been told all my life that raw meat carries parasites so take that with a grain of salt.

but i agree, insects are overlooked by most people on this forum. it only makes sense that paleolithic humans would have eaten these easily obtainable proteins and fats.

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2010, 12:09:56 pm »
I saw a tribe eat honey comb on a video. They ate the comb with larvae and all.

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2010, 02:03:02 pm »
i thought the worms kinda sucked, but everything else was pretty good to awesome

aww, crap, I thought about getting some to try raw, but now that you said that I wonder if its worth it?
What did you feed them? I was thinking to feed them fresh fruit or some liver which may make them taste good.
I had them fried in butter so that obviously changed the taste.

Anyone try plain crickets?

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2010, 09:42:08 pm »
yuli, i meant to say that the earthworms tasted bad. the mealworms weren't great but were okay. i just let them eat the sawdust they came in and put in some carrots and other veggies for their water source. i guess their diet was okay but i coulda done better

sully, i tried grubcome while i was in laos this summer. really delicious stuff.

Offline the PresiDenT

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2010, 02:16:35 am »
i saw this clip on a paleo guy in australia who gives all his meat scraps to a buncha worms, then eats the worms :D i gotta start this somehow w/o my parents thinking im completely insane  8)
The price is wrong Bob

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2010, 02:56:39 am »
sully, i tried grubcome while i was in laos this summer. really delicious stuff.
Now that sounds good!
The grub add fats and proteins.

Perhaps similar to what some do with mixing butter with honey.

Perhaps we should eat insects with honey.

I know there was a ex vegan (david wolfe?) who eats honey with ants on it, simply because they crawl all over it, so he just eats them with it.

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2010, 02:59:31 am »
maggots on meat too,

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2010, 03:33:20 am »
just found one of these bad boys in our compost pile. it's a beetle larvae (either junebug or japanese beetle) but we just call them grubs around here. will report back later on taste, etc

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2010, 09:35:53 am »
update: it tasted like wood. sully watched me eat it on skype (during our first ever virtual dinner, ha). it wasn't terrible, but it wasn't good at all. similar taste to earthworms. probably because they also live in soil. wish they tasted more like ant larvae...

also, so you can grasp the size of these, they're about the size of a nickel when they're curled up. not big, but not tiny

Offline jaktron

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2010, 06:50:04 pm »
thanks all for your replies, not sure i can get any salivation going over mealworms even though the name suggests i should. :P

Offline Gwadatraveller

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2011, 05:57:33 am »
hey guys,

reading your posts I have to admit that I'm a coward. I think I could never eat insects. I can't even explain why...
Perhaps it's the texture of worms etc. that strikes me most...
But it's still interesting to see that other people have an opposite opinion.
Saludos de Barcelona

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2011, 08:34:18 am »
hey guys,

reading your posts I have to admit that I'm a coward. I think I could never eat insects. I can't even explain why...
Perhaps it's the texture of worms etc. that strikes me most...
But it's still interesting to see that other people have an opposite opinion.
Saludos de Barcelona

Its just a taboo in most modern cultures. If you grew up with it you wouldn't think twice.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline Caveman

• Bear Hunter
  • Man of the cave
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2011, 10:08:56 am »
I know there was a ex vegan (david wolfe?) who eats honey with ants on it, simply because they crawl all over it, so he just eats them with it.

You're right! He says ants are a great food for testosterone.. I might actually leave some honey out this summer and see what happens. I ate some ants as a kid and I would have no problem doing it today. Any larger insects would most likely be a bit of a problem for me, but I will totally give it a try some day.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2011, 05:13:37 pm »
Why wouldn't the ants crawl around inside your mouth/oesophagus, and back out? If you're just eating them with the honey you're not going to be killing them. Or are you sure that they'll stay with the honey?
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline michaelwh

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2011, 08:08:27 pm »
Why wouldn't the ants crawl around inside your mouth/oesophagus, and back out? If you're just eating them with the honey you're not going to be killing them. Or are you sure that they'll stay with the honey?

You will kill the ants when you crush them with your teeth. But even if you don't chew them, you have muscles in your esophagus which will dump the ants right into your stomach, where an HCL bath will kill them.

Offline Gwadatraveller

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2011, 04:21:52 am »
So your problem is just to crush them? Or the more general fact that you kill creatures in your mouth?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk