Author Topic: Quinoa  (Read 8174 times)

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
Quinoa
« on: November 05, 2010, 08:27:29 am »

My store sells organic, unprocessed red quinoa.

What are your guys opinions on quinoa?

Its not a grain, its from the goosefoot species of flowering plants, it's kernels are considered seeds.
Also it can germinate in 2-4 hours when soaked, thats very quick. It doesn't take much to sprout it.
Its got lots of minerals and a good amount of zinc.
Also you can remove all the saponins by soaking it well, or leave it in a strainer over running water...

Anyone tried it sprouted?

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Quinoa
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 08:32:00 am »
I would never consider them paleo just because they are so similar to grains. But they are by far superior to grains with gluten. I have tried them sprouted and if you are going to eat them I would definately sprout them for at least 24 hours (when the tails are about an inch). The saponens will always be present but by washing them after they have been sprouted the amount decreases. Still, not paleo though.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 08:32:11 am »
No idea re quinoa, but I did some major sprout-growing in the latter stages of my raw vegan phase just before trying RVAF diets and they did not seem to help much. That said, I did feel they had more "bioenergy" than standard raw fruit/veg.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline MoonStalkeR

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 06:52:17 am »
IMO buckwheat, millet, or rice are better. Quinoa is harder to digest and more fibery.

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 07:08:02 am »
IMO buckwheat, millet, or rice are better. Quinoa is harder to digest and more fibery.

really, I never had those sprouted, but I know cooked rice - even the brown one, makes me feel the same as pasta or bread.
Buckwheat is pretty good but can be heavy-sitting in the upper gut for me if too much is eaten, I was going to try sprout that but I thought I read somewhere it can be one of the more toxic things to sprout...I never had a problem with cooked quinoa so thats why I was wondering to try it sprouted. Maybe I'll sprout small amounts of each and see which one's better  :P

Offline bharminder

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2010, 02:15:25 pm »
I've sprouted quinoa before from <12 hours - 4-5 days. the longer the sprouting time the more sour it gets, and soft. I read on www.sproutpeople.com that the longer you allow something to sprout, the less time that the sprouts will stay fresh. I used to mix in quinoa sprouts with chopped onions.

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 02:19:01 am »
Aajonus says sprouts are bad. He says that when chickens are fed nothing but sprouts they die.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 06:58:39 am by TylerDurden »
-----------

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2012, 03:35:31 am »
any mono diet is bad troll.. chickens' natural diet is not totally sprouts, that's why they die....just as a human is supposed to eat a variety of foods and with just sprouts would die. That's not to say eating a few sprouts are bad.  I think that quinoa is toxic tho, sprouted or not, cooked, toasted, I cannot tolerate it
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 06:59:18 am by TylerDurden »

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2012, 06:24:17 am »
She's right, Troll. Feed anything nothin' but sprouts and the poor bastard will die.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline Justin

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2012, 10:42:27 am »
I tried incorporating quinoa a year back or so for pre-workout meals/carbs, and it would wreak havoc on my digestion and felt like shit afterwards. Definitely not for me.
"You can train long or you can train hard, but you can't do both." -Arthur Jones.

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2012, 11:49:05 am »
But if you feed a chicken nothing but unsprouted grains it will live so the monodiet thing doesnt hold up. The fact that its sprouted is what kills.

Aajonus Vonderplanitz Cancer Control Society Interview 2011 Set 1

its discussed there
-----------

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2012, 12:19:12 pm »
they get a mix of grains, you can't just feed a chicken corn, they have to have different types and ratios of carbs proteins and fat throughout their lives or they become deformed and die
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 03:28:00 pm by TylerDurden »

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2012, 12:40:10 pm »
Some chickens get nothing but gm corn and survive
-----------

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2012, 04:51:08 am »
honestly if you are thinking of factory farmed chickens those same chickens are also shot up with steroids and all kinds of thing to make them grow regardless of their lack of nutrition.  its kinda like people who survive off of slurpees and twinkees, they are alive, but not healthy

heres a link about the great things that animals in feed lots eat mmmmm
http://www.ucsusa.org/food_and_agriculture/science_and_impacts/impacts_industrial_agriculture/they-eat-what-the-reality-of.html

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2012, 05:33:43 am »
The sprouts kill the chicken in less than 3 days. Chickens can be fed nothing but corn for much longer without any chemicals forcing them to grow for much longer.

Aajonus explains the mechanisms by which sprouts become unhealthy in the video.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 01:51:51 pm by TylerDurden »
-----------

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2012, 09:38:52 am »
I've had chickens for over 13 years, and their diet at times is almost all sprouts.  they don't die eating them.  You might want to find out what sprouts he claims they ate.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk