Author Topic: Vive la France!  (Read 14188 times)

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
Re: Vive la France!
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2009, 01:16:52 am »
I'm not pleased with the fact that the controversial Rousseau is the earliest major French figure I can find who advocated a more primitive diet, as well as the first major Western figure I can find. I was hoping that Tyler or someone might have provided an earlier figure, or one from Rousseau's time who was more influential. Does anyone know of one?
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2009, 05:49:50 pm »
I'm not pleased with the fact that the controversial Rousseau is the earliest major French figure I can find who advocated a more primitive diet, as well as the first major Western figure I can find. I was hoping that Tyler or someone might have provided an earlier figure, or one from Rousseau's time who was more influential. Does anyone know of one?
Well, strictly speaking, Europeans in the Middle-Ages generally followed a healthier primitive diet than people in the Industrial Age onwards. They prized organ-meats above muscle-meats,I've vaguely heard of claims that 17th century England had a particular penchant for meats(albeit cooked), plus they had more access to wild game in those days as there were still a few wild areas in the UK(at least up till the 17th century).
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2009, 09:35:06 pm »
Raw horse meat and cheeses as ripe as old socks in Paris - http://tiny.pl/hx8vk
Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2009, 08:15:59 am »
What I mean is, is there anything I can cite in a timeline? You know, like "King Edward the Strong who reigned in the 16th century insisted on a primitive diet for himself and his knights and even ate raw meat at times" or "1578: Herbalperto the Healer publishes a pamphlet on the benefits of a primitive diet." or "In 1687 the French philosophe Lumineux wrote 'I regret that I have but one steak tartare to eat.'"
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 08:22:19 am by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2010, 04:26:04 am »
In case TD tries to start another straw man argument, allow me to make clear that the following is not meant to suggest by either Stephan Guyenet nor me that the French diet is anywhere near pure raw Paleo or perfect. Everything is not either absolutely perfect or pure horror. There is a vast area in-between. As Stephan points out, the French eat white flour and I recently heard that they're the second biggest consumers (I'm guessing per capita) of McDonald's fare. While keeping those caveats in mind, the following is excellent validation of this thread...

Observations from France by Stephan Guyenet
http://healthcorrelator.blogspot.com/2010/11/high-heat-cooking-will-age-you-if-you.html

Stephan said…
I recently got back from a trip to the UK and France visiting family and friends. It was great to see everyone, eat great food and even do some unexpected foraging (chestnuts, mushrooms, walnuts, blackberries). French people are in better general health than most industrialized nations. The obesity, diabetes and heart disease rates are all considerably lower than in the US, although still much higher than in non-industrial cultures.

….

I don't think the French diet is optimal by any means. They eat a lot of white flour, some sugar, seed oils and other processed foods. But I do think the French diet has many good qualities, and it certainly poses a number of problems for the mainstream concept of healthy food. Hence the "French paradox."

From the comments:

gallier2 said...
I once read that in the US (or was it UK, I don't remember) less than 10% of household budget was dedicated to food, in France it was more in the 20% to 40% range.

gunther gatherer said...
One thing I would add also: the French distinguish pasture-fed and raw foods from industrially fed and pasteurised/heat treated foods. At least they do here in Normandy.

Edward said…
one of the major the reasons the French enjoy in such good health is that they maintain the link between producer and plate. Even if they do eat some processed stuff, the diet still contains vastly more fresh, local, natural food than the average American or British diet (I’m English and I’ve lived in the States so I know!).

….

Real, natural (and damn tasty) food is niche in much of Britain and the US but it’s the norm all over France. Only American style ‘nutritionism’ – a reductionist, joyless and apparently useless concept – could ever describe the fact that the French live long and well on such a diet as a paradox.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk