Author Topic: Sardines over Salmon  (Read 22318 times)

Offline avalon

• Forum Clown
  • Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
Sardines over Salmon
« on: August 21, 2008, 04:29:25 am »
(just in case you eat cooked once in a while, or can find raw sardines)

Sadly, I've been eating more sardines than salmon and other fish lately which is why I decided to Google Sardines vs Salmon and found this article from the times-

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/09/opinion/09grescoe.html?_r=1&pagewanted=1&ref=opinion&oref=slogin

Best wishes,
Avalon

Offline avalon

• Forum Clown
  • Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Sardines over Salmon
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 06:24:17 am »
Yeah, I didn't mean that the way it sounded. 'Sad' with respect to the mercury and farming risks with other fish. I like sardines and would love to find them fresh somewhere.

They are packed with nutrition those little suckers!

xylothrill

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 11:46:14 am »
I expected a recipe when I first clicked on it!  :) I'd love to find raw sardines!

I could go down with a cast net and catch some bait fish but Andrew says they aren't as fatty. Maybe as a snack. I cannot bring myself to eat my pet fish.

Craig

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 04:57:38 pm »
I can get raw sardines from a local fishmonger. They are SO cheap, costing only 3 pounds sterling a kilo. Genuine wildcaught salmon costs 18 pounds sterling per kilo, and is extremely difficult to find - almost all salmon sold is farmed. Sardines are very high in nutrients and I  use them as a supplement during times when I can't get access to high-quality raw meats.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline avalon

• Forum Clown
  • Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 03:27:05 am »
I'm in the middle of Florida on the coast and you'd think there would be a good fish market near by BUT NO! God I miss New York City!

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 04:34:25 am »
I can't understand why your markets/farmers' markets are so crap in the US. One of the main reasons why our London markets are so amazing is that Nina Planck, a former Vermont-resident, brought over to the United Kingdom the concept of semi-organic farmers' markets - she's a Weston-Price/WAPF  devotee. Without her, we'd be in trouble. Yet, I keep on hearing about how Americans find their local farmers' markets to be mostly useless, being only seasonal, providing only raw fruit and veg.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009, 05:49:44 am »
my whole foods has fresh wild sardines (whole) for really cheap right now. i think im gonna go buy some. anyways, i was wondering if any of you guys have experience eating them. does anyone eat the organs? i would think the heart, liver, and maybe brain would be safe to eat. i dont know though cuz i've it's dangerous to eat fish organs (not that i put much stock into the whole parasite thing). also, has anyone made hight meat from them?

any tips or recommendations would be most appreciated

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 06:02:08 am »
my whole foods has fresh wild sardines (whole) for really cheap right now. i think im gonna go buy some. anyways, i was wondering if any of you guys have experience eating them. does anyone eat the organs? i would think the heart, liver, and maybe brain would be safe to eat. i dont know though cuz i've it's dangerous to eat fish organs (not that i put much stock into the whole parasite thing). also, has anyone made hight meat from them?

The Inuit made high-meat out of fish more than from other kinds. I personally only like a few types of high-meat(ie aged beef tongue and aged beef heart) and can't stand non-fresh fish at all, despite 8 years on this diet(I guess some ingrained habits from cooked food days are difficult to eradicate).

As for sardines, I found the taste less pleasant than other types of fish like kingfish or mackerel but I sometimes eat them whole organs and all, when I find the opportunity.If you like the taste, by all means eat the organs.
" Ron Paul.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2009, 09:11:49 am »
"Wild Atlantic salmon are commercially extinct, and runs of Pacific salmon south of the Alaska panhandle are experiencing catastrophic collapses. This year, for the sake of the remaining wild salmon on the West Coast, as well as my own health, I’m changing my diet. Whether it’s wild or farmed, I’m swearing off salmon.

It’s not a decision I make lightly. I grew up eating wild salmon."

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/09/opinion/09grescoe.html?_r=1&pagewanted=1&ref=opinion&oref=slogin"

And to think that people doubted me when I said that wild Pacific salmon are becoming increasingly rare and expensive. Wish I had been wrong. This is what lays in store for any fish or meat that is discovered to be healthy.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2009, 12:13:11 pm »
Yet, I keep on hearing about how Americans find their local farmers' markets to be mostly useless, being only seasonal, providing only raw fruit and veg.

I've gone to a number of farmer's markets in my area and, with the exception of one, they were all devoid of meat. You will always find seasonal fruits & veggies as well as a usual accompaniment of local honeys (and honey products), occasional maple syrup (and maple products), and homemade/"organic" breadstuffs. I'll also see the occasional stand with someone pushing herbal supplements. The one meat vendor was a grassfed beef farm who's products were overpriced and made me sick (the more I think about it I think the steer was inadequately drained of blood before processing). Other areas may be better but this is how it is in lower New York. :(
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2009, 05:37:23 pm »
I've gone to a number of farmer's markets in my area and, with the exception of one, they were all devoid of meat. You will always find seasonal fruits & veggies as well as a usual accompaniment of local honeys (and honey products), occasional maple syrup (and maple products), and homemade/"organic" breadstuffs. I'll also see the occasional stand with someone pushing herbal supplements. The one meat vendor was a grassfed beef farm who's products were overpriced and made me sick (the more I think about it I think the steer was inadequately drained of blood before processing). Other areas may be better but this is how it is in lower New York. :(

Nothing wrong with blood in meat, I love the taste of blood in my wild hare, it's very refreshin as a nutrient as well. Indeed, I've hard it said that one reason why kosher/halal meat is so tasteless is because they drain the blood from it during slaughter.

Perhaps there was some other reason re his use of chemicals or feeding the animal on  a partially-grainfed diet, rather than 100% grassfed.
" Ron Paul.

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2009, 09:24:34 pm »
Nothing wrong with blood in meat, I love the taste of blood in my wild hare, it's very refreshin as a nutrient as well. Indeed, I've hard it said that one reason why kosher/halal meat is so tasteless is because they drain the blood from it during slaughter.

Perhaps there was some other reason re his use of chemicals or feeding the animal on  a partially-grainfed diet, rather than 100% grassfed.

They claim 100% grassfed but we all know there are unscrupulous vendors out there. Maybe it was chemicals. All I know is it sat very heavy in my stomach and gave me waves of nausea.
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2009, 04:57:43 am »
... fresh wild sardines (whole) for really cheap right now. i think im gonna go buy some. anyways, i was wondering if any of you guys have experience eating them. does anyone eat the organs? i would think the heart, liver, and maybe brain would be safe to eat. ...

I have eaten whole fish from WF raw never been frozen, I ate most every organ eyes, brain, liver heart from it.  I didn't get parasites.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2009, 08:18:59 am »

Perhaps there was some other reason re his use of chemicals or feeding the animal on  a partially-grainfed diet, rather than 100% grassfed.
I've never seen meat with the blood left in here in the US. I think it's illegal here, though I'm not sure. My father once asked a chef in France why he couldn't get his chicken coq au vin to match the French version, despite having learned the ingredients from a French chef, and the chef said that it was because the French don't bleed the chickens, whereas Americans do. I've read an American hunting article that said one should always bleed deer to avoid having them taste like liver.

Re: Nina Planck, as I mentioned elsewhere, she says she brought the concept of vegetable farmers' markets to London and was a vegetarian at the time, but she got turned on to pasture-fed meats and butter in London. So it was London that influenced her on that, not the other way around. Unfortunately, Planck has not been able to influence the farmers' markets much here to adopt the London school of thought on meats, but pasture-fed meats have been becoming increasingly popular here, so I think it's only a matter of time before health-conscious meat-eating Americans adopt more of an old-world attitude about meats. Unfortunately, my experience has also been that the selection and price of grass-fed meats in American farmers' markets is still far inferior to what can be had in health food stores or direct from the farmer.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk