Author Topic: the importance of exercise  (Read 33034 times)

Offline greywolve

• Forager
    • View Profile
the importance of exercise
« on: November 20, 2010, 10:14:00 pm »
i've spent alot of time reading about many people experiences following raw animal food diets and one thing which always surprises me is the lack of exercise on the part of some people.

i really don't understand this. it has been shown time and time again that humans have evolved doing intense exercise and that it is awesome for health.

since online ordering and butcheries didn't exist back then, i wonder how many of these people feel that they would have obtained their meat in the wild by sitting on their asses?

i really don't think that you can fully experience all the benefits of whatever diet philosophy you follow if you do not exercise intensely at least once or twice a week.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: the importance of exercise
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 10:35:17 pm »
You make a good point, but it is a hell of a lot easier to do a rawpalaeo diet than it is to do the kind of exercise that palaeo peoples did each day. If we all had to run to work instead of taking the underground etc.,  I am sure we would improve but we have to do the best we can in this modern society.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 11:56:06 pm »
There are lots of people on this forum that exercise quite a lot. The others are less active, but still exercise in some ways.
Importance of the physical activity is obvious.
Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 01:56:26 am »
I have always been a bit of a mild to medium exercise freak, however, I doubt that paleos did anything other than what was necessary to find food.

The modern business of daily doing repetitive exercise such as running on roadways is to my mind a recipe for disaster. I would guess that hunting was done as necessary and was probably more clever than running or weight lifting and certainly not done in air conditioned buildings, after dark, watching TV.

Having said that, I do Tae Kwon Do and have done Yoga daily for probably the last 20+ years.

A friend of mine was a Doctor in South Africa. He told me that if any blacks (pre-liberation) showed up at his clinic for heart ailments, all the Doctors would gather round as it would be an anomaly.

I see people getting in their cars to go a block or two to the store.

A nutritionist in Australia did a study on aboriginals (apparently it was done elsewhere also) who were suffering from a wide array of "modern" diseases. She took these urban folk to the wilderness with some "emergency food" just in case and let them forage for their traditional foods. Their illnesses which is some cases were quite severe cleared up, requiring no medication afterwards.

I suspect that if the majority of the posters here (including me) were plunked in the middle of nowhere, we would perish quickly. Those who survived would flourish in a state of ideal health.
Cheers
Al

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 05:47:36 am »
My parents sometimes take the car to go to a shop which I can get to in 20 seconds by foot xD That's my Mum's choice though, not my Dad's.

i've spent alot of time reading about many people experiences following raw animal food diets and one thing which always surprises me is the lack of exercise on the part of some people.

Yes KD and SkinnyDevil need to listen to this, lazy bums.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 06:06:44 am by miles »
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 11:14:51 am »
heh,

other than the fact that we were designed to move and yes apply work-through-space to get by in this world, exercise can be doubly beneficial for modern health. To put it simply, is really about shaking those atoms around not to mention allowing tissue to die and rebuild and breath. some people do this just with some light yoga or rebounding or tai chi etc.. so while single effort workouts like running might not be the best options, there are other ways than lifting to engage a full spectrum of bodily movement

I guess in some ways, other than laziness there are some ideologies present that might guide one not to be very active specifically related to raw. I think some folks like Aajonus recomend that people do not exercise starting out and perhaps for good reason because a.) it uses energy that might be better used for healing and b.) the very reason its benefical which is it stirs up alot of crap in the body which people may be sensative to.

The other claim which seems pretty absurd is that one can maintain a fit trim body without exercise. I'm skeptical of this one myself, but as long as one can 'bring it' when necessary (Aajonus himself claims to kill it on boat rowing or hiking without any problems in energy or endurance) it really wouldn't be required to be active daily or do any kind of weekly training. I'm sure once tribes became more established in hierarchies, some individuals were not as active as others and still maintained strength and virility.

since online ordering and butcheries didn't exist back then, i wonder how many of these people feel that they would have obtained their meat in the wild by sitting on their asses?

so to me I see what you are saying is bothersome only when people talk about like how much they should eat based on their desires or instinct or whatever, when they arn't even capable of bringing down the very animal they are eating, and their energy expenditure largely reflecting what type of diet and foods they choose to eat. But if someone says to me they order meat online and arn't very active that doesn't bother me generally, whether its very 'paleo' I do not know.

I've said this before but there is probably a basic level of fitness (being able to move heavy boxes up flights of stairs, doing basic squatting and lifting motions etc...) that is indicative of health because these things will effect your heart rate and the way your body uptakes oxygen, not to mention all the other things you can find online linking exercise to sleep/mood etc...

Its likely without this basic fitness it is either an indicator of poor general health, OR something that can be changed with proper exercise to possibly make all the other aspects of health (nutrition/breathing/sleep etc...) run alot smoother.

Offline SkinnyDevil

• Chief
  • "...embrace your fear..."
    • View Profile
    • Skinny Devil Music Lab
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 10:21:28 pm »
Yes KD and SkinnyDevil need to listen to this, lazy bums.

Hahaha!

KD is gonna kill me with all those cool ideas. He must be in the employ of my ex-wife.
-
--
David M. McLean
Skinny Devil Music Lab
http://www.skinnydevil.com

Offline rawcarni

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2010, 04:04:04 pm »
I don't know: all these theories about how much one should exercise and if that's really necessary, healthy etc...and also the claim that running is not beneficial etc...I just know that i definetely feel way, way better when I do exercise a lot. That is for me the best proof that exercise IS important...
Ceers Nicole

Offline shawn5

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 04:10:06 pm »
Exercise has so many importance,..
But according to my point of view the main importance was you looks young as compared to your age fellow and become healthy always ans strong,..

regards,..

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2011, 08:55:32 am »

i really don't understand this. it has been shown time and time again that humans have evolved doing intense exercise and that it is awesome for health.
Yeah I am not sure. I exercise often. Some days more than others. Not sure why others don't exercise.
Makes me feel good, diet alone is no good.

Offline rawcarni

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2011, 08:55:51 pm »
Yeah I am not sure. I exercise often. Some days more than others. Not sure why others don't exercise.
Makes me feel good, diet alone is no good.

Same with me-I feel more in peace with myself when I exercise. Also I can concentrate much better-I think there is some truth to that saying: healthy body-healthy mind.

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
  • country chickens and lambs and wild bugs
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2011, 10:44:02 pm »
It's a waste of time and boring to maintain fitness through exercise. We should go for hunting or to choose a lifestyle to live such a way that requires physical movement to survive. 
bugs or country chickens

Offline SkinnyDevil

• Chief
  • "...embrace your fear..."
    • View Profile
    • Skinny Devil Music Lab
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2011, 10:54:56 pm »
It's a waste of time and boring to maintain fitness through exercise. We should go for hunting or to choose a lifestyle to live such a way that requires physical movement to survive. 

For you, maybe. By contrast, I LOVE working out. Not all days (some days it sucks), but generally I really dig it.

The bonus is that it makes me more capable when I engage in physical activities...from swimming to hiking to playing freeze-tag with the kids to loading gear to....you get the idea.
-
--
David M. McLean
Skinny Devil Music Lab
http://www.skinnydevil.com

Offline klowcarb

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2011, 02:13:01 am »
For you, maybe. By contrast, I LOVE working out. Not all days (some days it sucks), but generally I really dig it.

The bonus is that it makes me more capable when I engage in physical activities...from swimming to hiking to playing freeze-tag with the kids to loading gear to....you get the idea.

I too looooooooove working out. It is not boring at all!

Offline HIT_it_RAW

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2011, 07:07:47 pm »
I always love working out when I'm not doing it  :D
Always eager to go to the gym, achieve goals, push myself, get stronger etc. Love figuring out the perfect workout given certain equipment/goals/bodily propertions. When doing the workout itself I'm still 100% motivated and push myself to and beyond my limits. But thats not fun!! It grueling; burning cramping muscles, shaking all over when aproching failure, sore throat from breathing at max rate, trying to walk after squatting. Immediatly after a workout I feel like I've been run over by a truck, have to wait 15mins before I can opperate my cars clutch. As a great mind ones said: "If you like an exercise you are probably doing it wrong!"

Off course half an hour and onwards after a workout I feel great, pumped, metal clarity but tired. Usualy have to go to sleep within 3 hrs after exercising.

Thing like swimming, biking, sparring I do love but that more like playing around then exercising imo  ;)
“A man should be able to build a house, butcher a hog, tan the hide,
preserve the meat, deliver a baby, nurture the sick and reassure the dying, fight a war … specialization is for insects.”

Offline klowcarb

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2011, 08:42:03 pm »
I never get tired of weight lifting. I have been lifting weights 3-4 times a week for 8 years and I look forward to it each time I go.

Offline HIT_it_RAW

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2011, 09:18:15 pm »
I used to work out like that but then results stopped and i started working out a bit(well quite a lot) intenser.
preserve the meat, deliver a baby, nurture the sick and reassure the dying, fight a war … specialization is for insects.”

Offline CHK91

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2011, 11:40:05 pm »
I always try to do at least some mild exercise everyday like walking. It really helps my circulation and my digestion seems to be much better doing it.
All I want is the truth... Just gimme some truth.
"I wanna be the minority."

Offline HIT_it_RAW

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2011, 02:05:57 pm »
I never get tired of weight lifting. I have been lifting weights 3-4 times a week for 8 years and I look forward to it each time I go.
Try hitting utter failure in 8-12 reps than move to the next exercise without rest for 8-10 exercises. Doing (large mass involving) exercises like squat, pulldown standing press etc. You won't just be tired but in a state of shock. No matter what kind of training you did before if you never trained this way the first time you try you'll probably and up on the floor after the first 4 exercises.

I trained with many people and the result were always the same. Either they tried real hard and ended up on the floor or puking in the toilet or they didn't try real hard.

After a few workout your body is able to handle the intensity but it never gets easy! (you just stop puking)

Offline HIT_it_RAW

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2011, 05:49:47 pm »
But I can't recognize my self whenever I trying to do exercise I suffer from many problems like migration..please help me what can I do??
Please elaborate.

Offline bharminder

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2011, 06:49:40 am »
As Jack Lalanne once said:

'Exercise is king, and nutrition is queen'

You see many people out there who eat very healthy but they don't look good. They're fat and don't seem energetic. On the other hand, you see athletes who eat nothing but junk, but they look good because they burn it all off.

And Jack lived to be 97 or so...

Offline HIT_it_RAW

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2011, 03:34:06 pm »
People who truly eat healthy should look healthy regardless if they exercise or don't. They may not look very muscular but they should look healthy.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 05:06:55 pm by TylerDurden »

Offline klowcarb

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2011, 06:34:31 am »
To me not having muscle looks gross. A woman who is skinny fat makes me want to vomit. I guess I just love lean, defined muscles.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2011, 10:13:31 am »
 ;D
If walking/cycling is good for your health, the postman would be immortal
A whale swims all day, only eats fish, drinks water and is fat
A rabbit runs hops and only lives 15 years
A tortoise doesn't run, does nothing  yet lives for 450 years.
And y'all think exercise is important.
Cheers
Al

Offline HIT_it_RAW

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2011, 06:50:29 pm »
;D
If walking/cycling is good for your health, the postman would be immortal
A whale swims all day, only eats fish, drinks water and is fat
A rabbit runs hops and only lives 15 years
A tortoise doesn't run, does nothing  yet lives for 450 years.
And y'all think exercise is important.
Does the food of a tortoise just walk in his mouth? A tortoise is like every wild animal they only do something when nessecary the rest of the time they relax. They don't need much "exercise" to maintain their muscles. In fact the most impressive muscular physiques in the animal kingdom are “build” on very little “exercise”. But when they do train (fight, hunt, mate) it’s very, very intensive and very short. A good example is a dominant male lion. He sleeps more than 14hrs a day. His females hunt for him all he does is relaxt and occasionally mates with a female. Every now and than however its time to defend his territory those fights are hard, intense, short and infrequent afterwards he goes to sleep again.

Humans of course aren’t animals they should train at least 5 days a week 4 hrs a day to have good results. Never do full body workouts. Also it would be a good idea to eat protein powders exclusively and use massive amounts of steroids.  :D :D
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 08:16:30 pm by TylerDurden »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk