Author Topic: ferment sweet potato  (Read 11394 times)

Offline MaximilianKohler

• Warrior
    • View Profile
ferment sweet potato
« on: December 01, 2010, 06:24:26 pm »
So I was looking for how you do it and I came across this http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jf034885k
apparently it can be pretty dangerous to eat? Has anyone else done this before? I have some soaking in water at room temp for a couple weeks now but I don't see anything happening to them besides the ones sticking out of the water are browning.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: ferment sweet potato
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 06:57:31 pm »
You shouldn't be eating any kind of potato at all. Foul, unhealthy stuff.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 10:23:56 pm »
You shouldn't be eating any kind of potato at all. Foul, unhealthy stuff.

??? Pink inside sweet potatoes can be very good! A few people even like some varieties of regular patatoes. But fermenting them  :o  ...!
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 10:52:33 pm »
??? Pink inside sweet potatoes can be very good! A few people even like some varieties of regular patatoes. But fermenting them  :o  ...!
Potatoes are not palaeo. Plus, I recall one famous pop-star who mentioned in 1 article that he was once so poor that he did a 100 percent potato-only diet for  1 month and nearly died as a result.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 12:21:54 am »
Perhaps but beef is not paleo either if you look at it that way. Sweet patatoes are not patatoes, that's two very different species. There must be a wild ancestor of both anyway, just like there's a wild ancestor of cows.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweet_potato
Sweet potatoes are native to the tropical parts of South America,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potato
Wild potato species occur throughout the Americas, from the United States to Uruguay.[

Of course, a 100% potatoes (cooked, I suppose) diet is a total stupidity - just like any diet of, for example, 100% carrots, 100% honey or 100% sugar cane! People who like raw patatoes eat it in very small amounts.  
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 12:32:23 am »
Actually, I recall that the potatoes he ate were raw(and therefore, presumably, full of antinutrients).
" Ron Paul.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 02:13:12 am »
Actually, I recall that the potatoes he ate were raw(and therefore, presumably, full of antinutrients).

How could he? Most people can't eat more than insignificant amounts of raw potatoes! I don't like it at all and never eat any. He probably ate it in salads, with sauce, seasoning or such, didn't he?

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2010, 02:35:00 am »
How could he? Most people can't eat more than insignificant amounts of raw potatoes! I don't like it at all and never eat any. He probably ate it in salads, with sauce, seasoning or such, didn't he?
No, he mentioned he only ate raw potatoes as he was just too poor to afford anything else. Obviously, he only ate them raw as he was working on his singing and didn't want to bother with time spent cooking.
" Ron Paul.

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2010, 02:57:42 am »
No, he mentioned he only ate raw potatoes as he was just too poor to afford anything else. Obviously, he only ate them raw as he was working on his singing and didn't want to bother with time spent cooking.

I find that hard to believe, its not hard to drop a potato on boiling water or on top of any heat, if you have time to go and pee you have time for that...sounds like the story was made to give more attention and using the old poor starving artist story  -\

...Potatoes are not palaeo. Plus, I recall one famous pop-star who mentioned in 1 article that he was once so poor that he did a 100 percent potato-only diet for  1 month and nearly died as a result.

Its dumb to do a diet of one food 100% and then say its foul because it didn't work out. Most foods I'd do bad on if I ate only that, like Iguana mentioned.

Advisory notice: the below info makes no attempt at recommending potatoes. And is not responsible for anything  :P

If we examine the concept of eating cooked potatoes there is a guy that did 100% 60-day Potato-Fast...He had them prepared all different ways but the only thing he would ever add is a little oil if he was frying them and he soaked a few in pickle juice. His vital stats were also measured and as I remember nothing went worse and his bad cholesterol went down. Although he said he got really sick of potatoes (no doubt!) by the end he was nowhere near starving and did not get sick. He did this not to tell people to eat only potato but he wanted to prove that its better then junk foods. He wanted to show people that you can do better eating just potatoes for a month then fast food and other crap, which is what some people do  ><

He is finished his potato-thon now and you can see his videos and reports...
Here is his site: http://www.20potatoesaday.com/
As for extreme diets this is a pretty funny one.
I would only do a potato-thon if I could make mayonnaise to go with it  ;D but I don't think I should...

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2010, 03:41:58 am »
I have good reason to believe he was telling the truth re eating potatoes raw. Way before going rawpalaeo, I would sometimes eat certain foods  raw, because I simply couldn't be bothered to waste time on cooking. Things like eating rice raw or potatoes  or a chicken kiev from the supermarket(well OK, the chicken kiev was already pre-cooked but I was supposed to microwave it after buying and I sometimes didn't). Cooking was a real pain for me then as I had chronic fatigue at the time.
" Ron Paul.

Offline MaximilianKohler

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2011, 03:50:39 pm »
The sweet potatoes I was eating BTW were these purple Japanese ones I heard about on the Dr Oz TV show http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/5-superfoods-eat-now

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2011, 08:15:54 am »
Potatoes are nightshades and eating the skin, particularly if it has turned green (with contact with sunlight) is eating the poisons. This green can go quite far into the potato.

I can't imagine eating them raw.

The only way they are palitable is if they are deep fried and coated with melted cheese...  ;D  (Poutine) although hardly a nutritious concoction.
Cheers
Al

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2011, 09:35:37 am »
SWEET POTATOES AREN'T POTATOES.
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline MaximilianKohler

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2011, 08:35:45 am »
They tasted pretty nasty(both taste and texture). I doubt it would be any healthier to eat them fermented rather then baked. Probably even worse actually... from what I've read there can actually be benefits from cooking vegetation - the complete opposite of meat/fat which should never be heated.

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2011, 10:38:53 am »
They tasted pretty nasty(both taste and texture). I doubt it would be any healthier to eat them fermented rather then baked. Probably even worse actually... from what I've read there can actually be benefits from cooking vegetation - the complete opposite of meat/fat which should never be heated.

Could that be a contributor to health problems experienced by raw vegans?  The effect of so much toxins and anti-nutrients from eating raw vegetation?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk