Author Topic: Cheap cod liver oil  (Read 14768 times)

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
Re: Cheap cod liver oil
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2010, 11:33:51 am »
I got some blue ice cod liver oil today. I took a table spoon and my throat started burning like hell. I drank like a litre of water afterwards to try stop the burning sensation. About 5 hours later and my throat is still really sore. Anyone else had this problem?

All raw oils burn my throat.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2010, 03:24:37 pm »
All raw oils burn my throat.
My too.
But only a little bit.
I don't find it unpleasant; have got used to that :)
Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

Offline Haai

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2010, 06:03:14 pm »
I'm glad I'm not the only one, now I can be pretty sure the reaction I got was normal and not some allergic reaction or something. It does say on the bottle not to take it if you are allergic to sea food and although I have had allergic reactions to shrimps and mussels, I eat fish regularly without problems.
"In the modern, prevailing view of the cosmos, we sit here as tiny, unimportant specks of protoplasm, flukes of nature, and stare out into an almost limitless void. Vast, nameless tracts of emptiness dominate the scene. Talk about feeling small.
But we do not look out at the universe; it is, instead, within us, as a rich 3-D visual experience whose location is the mind" - R. Lanza, Beyond Biocentrism.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2010, 01:08:17 am »
    I wish it was easier to find chicken and pork that was raised outdoors without grain more often.  They have excellent sources of D.

I don't find it unpleasant; have got used to that :)

I tried the cinnamon flavor, and that burned a lot.  I think the other one I tried was orange.  Well, whatever it was, it wasn't so "burny".  

... It does say on the bottle not to take it if you are allergic to sea food and although I have had allergic reactions to shrimps and mussels, I eat fish regularly without problems.

My son started bleeding recently internally after eating fish (after long time strict veg no eggs ever either), that caused some really bad anemia for a few days.  He recovered from that but his stomach is still not as good as before that incident.  We're not sure if it was eating the fish that got him to hemmorage, or some combo or a fragment of some kind or something else.  We know others who got problems like that from fish but they are doing fine afterward on raw land meat.    He has shown possible signs of sensitivity to some type of shellfish in the distant past.  He hasn't tried CLO (or land meat), but is using a dry vitamin D2 from the healthfood store.  At least we know now he too may get this throat burning when he tries CLO, and we won't think it's rare that it happens etc.  
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2010, 05:35:21 pm »
I got some blue ice cod liver oil today. I took a table spoon and my throat started burning like hell.

I got a bottle yesterday. The recommended dose is half a teaspoon...not one tablespoon, you know that right?

I mean I don't know if it would do you any harm, but the concentration of vitamins seems to be quite strong.

That stuff's fucking foul!

Offline Haai

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2010, 06:56:20 pm »
I got a bottle yesterday. The recommended dose is half a teaspoon...not one tablespoon, you know that right?

I mean I don't know if it would do you any harm, but the concentration of vitamins seems to be quite strong.

Yeah I realize the recommended dosage is like 2ml, which apparently contains 855 IU (215% RDA) of Vit D and 3650 IU (73.6% RDA) of vit A.
But I really think that our vit D dosage should be much higher than 855 IU.
According to this interesting site: http://www.westonaprice.org/cod-liver-oil/238.html#clarify , extensive exposure to the sun in summer provides the equivalent of supplementing with 10000 IU vit d per day.
"In the modern, prevailing view of the cosmos, we sit here as tiny, unimportant specks of protoplasm, flukes of nature, and stare out into an almost limitless void. Vast, nameless tracts of emptiness dominate the scene. Talk about feeling small.
But we do not look out at the universe; it is, instead, within us, as a rich 3-D visual experience whose location is the mind" - R. Lanza, Beyond Biocentrism.

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2010, 07:37:49 pm »
But I really think that our vit D dosage should be much higher than 855 IU.
That's true.
So I take about 5 ml a day. I just finished one bottle of Blue Ice one week ago and it had lasted me 6 weeks.
According to this interesting site: http://www.westonaprice.org/cod-liver-oil/238.html#clarify , extensive exposure to the sun in summer provides the equivalent of supplementing with 10000 IU vit d per day.
You can even reach 20.000 IU while sunbathing in one day.
Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk