Author Topic: How much running?  (Read 16056 times)

Offline Hannah

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
How much running?
« on: December 12, 2010, 05:37:04 am »
I do mostly resistance exercise in Yoga and Pilates. I am about to join a gym so I can get a little more variety and use the treadmill. But how much running is really important? I was running about 3 miles in 30 minutes. I know it's not great but I'm not much of a runner. Just wondering what my goal for cardio type activities should really be?

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Re: How much running?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 06:30:32 am »
I'd say if you can get in 20 minutes of fairly intensive aerobic exercise every other day you should get plenty of cardiovascular benefit. Long extended sessions can be good as a means to build stamina but I'd personally choose to push myself right at the threshold of aerobic/anaerobic for a shorter amount of time.
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 06:58:27 am »
I think just generally getting out and moving is good, running/walking about(and as many other types of movement as you want to add) as you feel 'comfortable'.

What sort of footwear do you wear for movement/running?
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline achillezzz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 07:30:01 am »
Cardio drains you very much I talk from expirience but if you rest enough and eat good for you i'd say 12 Minutes every day fast walking would be the perfect thing to do !!! trust me you dont wana get overtrained and burn your body resources.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 07:57:01 am »
Hey achillezzz, what physical stuff do you do?
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline achillezzz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 02:32:59 am »
everything running swimming calisthenics weights basketball soccer when I was younger I did some judo too lol

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 03:06:22 am »
sounds good. I don't think i've ever run 3 miles in a row.

if you have the gym, you might try shorter more intense bouts with rowing, jumping and some basic strength training after warming up with a run, row, or stationary bike.

Offline achillezzz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010, 03:33:58 am »
Don't do long cardio lol use it as warmup and do sprints / squats jumps to ball rim as high as you can its what you need to be solid and have healthy lower body  ;)

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2010, 06:08:32 pm »
Depends what kind of results are you going for?
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline whatever

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2010, 07:28:16 pm »
Hmm, I think running is not really necessary just do it for the fun of it. I think you can accomplish the same result with breathing exercises.

Maybe rope-jumping with breathing exercise will give you much better results than running. It could be true suppose you do rope jumping and breathing for 6 months or so, I think you can run 10km with ease without training for it.

A little like "lung gom pa" runners.

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2010, 08:43:01 pm »
Running in my FF is more fun and I like running with no shirt on too as I like the wind cooling my skin.

I find trail running in FF totally different to with shoes on. You have to concentrate and you can't run 'all out' or else you will get hurt. Prefer it much more and you get the best foot massage.

“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2010, 08:50:02 pm »
I've also found when I'm not enjoying my run I often get IT band pain and quite often end up walking home halfway....this can take a bloody long time!

This is a pschosomatic issue for me. I know I haven't damaged but the pain is there. I used to try and push through but now I just turn around and go try another day.
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline ForTheHunt

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2010, 09:14:52 pm »
Cardio drains you very much I talk from expirience but if you rest enough and eat good for you i'd say 12 Minutes every day fast walking would be the perfect thing to do !!! trust me you dont wana get overtrained and burn your body resources.

12 minutes a day of fast walking? Jeez.

I'd say more like 2 hours of intense training would be more fitting.
Take everyones advice with a grain of salt. Try things out for your self and then make up your mind.

Offline achillezzz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2010, 11:56:41 pm »
12 minutes a day of fast walking? Jeez.

I'd say more like 2 hours of intense training would be more fitting.

maybe this is why you dont gain muscle and want to quit raw paleo?
want put money on this argument here you go lol

listen to this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebHxRsW2tnU

to work out like a pro you need super nutrition super health and super masages to recover... its my opinion
high itensity is not for everyone its for very healthy people who have the ability to recover fast for example look
at the NBA Lebron james who workouts everyday he is a testosterone beast and is on SAD diet but he never had a problem with his health his glands must be super strong.. good genetics.

Most people in this forum got their glands after a burnout  or tired ones so by telling someone to do high intensity for 2h its like asking to you got the idea :D
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 12:02:09 am by achillezzz »

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2010, 12:22:05 am »

Don't you think several days a week you should get at least 30  minutes?  Why only 12?  How does it work better?  What are you eating? 

I'm not that active, but I definitely fastwalk more than 12 minutes in a day, well  .. usually I do.  I like long walks and I vary my pace.  I can walk fast a lot, but I kind of like slow walking better.  Maybe I'm more gatherer than hunter.  In nature, besides just for fun, we'd run when we have to, like part of hunting.  When we could gather, we'd probably walk more.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline achillezzz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2010, 12:33:51 am »
Nobody can tell you how much cardio you can do its just hannah asked for it I Assume her body is not ready for high stress.
If you recover from your workouts and feel great then do what yo do :D

But when I personally stoped running alot I gained huge ammount of weight,health and vitality on a SAD diet.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2010, 01:28:42 am »
But when I personally stoped running alot I gained huge ammount of weight,health and vitality on a SAD diet.

I think things like yoga are better for me than running.  Yes running is good or even necessary to some people, but calm exercise is very important for some.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline ForTheHunt

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2010, 01:51:28 am »
maybe this is why you dont gain muscle and want to quit raw paleo?
want put money on this argument here you go lol

listen to this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebHxRsW2tnU

to work out like a pro you need super nutrition super health and super masages to recover... its my opinion
high itensity is not for everyone its for very healthy people who have the ability to recover fast for example look
at the NBA Lebron james who workouts everyday he is a testosterone beast and is on SAD diet but he never had a problem with his health his glands must be super strong.. good genetics.

Most people in this forum got their glands after a burnout  or tired ones so by telling someone to do high intensity for 2h its like asking to you got the idea :D

Yeah, because posting a picture of a marathon runner vs a sprinter makes you right jeez. 2 hour intense workout doesn't = cardio at the same pace. I'd never ever train like that.

Rigorous exercise is absolutely vital for recovery. Sounds like you need to stop making excuses and start building up stamina instead of going for 12 minute walks, like a pussy.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 02:00:09 am by ForTheHunt »
Take everyones advice with a grain of salt. Try things out for your self and then make up your mind.

Offline achillezzz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2010, 02:37:46 am »

Rigorous exercise is absolutely vital for recovery. Sounds like you need to stop making excuses and start building up stamina instead of going for 12 minute walks, like a pussy.

You kidding me right ? I suggested 12 minutes to hannah rofl...
i dont do 12min pussy walk LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2010, 03:25:04 am »
12 minute walk or run is not REALLY exercise though. I mean who doesn't walk for 12 minutes? My mom walks more then 12 minutes getting from the subway and to work everyday...lol

I don't really exercise in the winter but I take walks for an hour at least, and run up and down my house stairs 20 times a day, vacuum all over the place, thats already two hours of movement for me and I haven't "exercised", then some evening yoga/stretches.
But this does not compare to me biking, running intensely when winter is not here, there is a big difference, now my muscles are in rest and slow maintenance, in the other mode I can feel my muscles developing, I also add push-ups and squats to my exercise periods to grow muscle quicker with the strength cardio (when biking up steep hills it feels like strength over cardio for the legs). You will feel the right intensity in your body.
Exercise its something that is putting noticeable strain on the muscles or on breathing, making sweat and heart beat very quick.
There is a difference between exercising purposely to improve strength and or stamina (what I usually only do in spring, summer and fall) and between maintenance moving, movement just enough so your muscles are not lost and are used until you are ready to start with your regime again.

But even in 'hibernating' season, a 12 minute walk is nothing for a healthy adult, if you are 90 years old maybe then its all you need.

Whats the point of the marathon runner vs the sprinter? They look built properly for their extremes, the skinny guy can't make as quick bursts, and the muscly guy will eventually tire out running if going long distance with the skinny guy. All marathon runners have a very very thin build (sometimes they have one big part, their legs and tiny upper body). I think anyone who starts marathon running will eventually get that body shape or similar.

I was thinking of adding one exercise to my lazy winter routine, the rowing machine...I have mostly marathoners build (thin body with legs being the largest most muscled part), this makes my upper body chilly in the winter, so I think some intense rowing may be on order to stay warmest. Coupled with an hour walk in the wintery woods, it should be good. Now I have to get myself to START on the rowing machine, the hard part, lol, and its in the bedroom beside mine too - I am such a lazy bear in the winter.  l)

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2010, 03:51:35 am »
But even in 'hibernating' season, a 12 minute walk is nothing for a healthy adult, if you are 90 years old maybe then its all you need.

Old people need lots of exercise.  How do you think they keep alive?  I have 90 year old relatives that eat cooked supermarket meat.  They all walk way more than 12 minutes every day, except one that looks fat lumpy and unhealthy.

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2010, 05:06:31 am »
You're right, movement brings longer and better quality life...
My grandma's now ex-husband (hes not related to me, good) never walks ANYWHERE - sits at computer all day, and the only break he takes is to walk to his balcony to smoke a cigarette! Whenever he'd come over for dinner I could tell that any movement was very difficult for him and he was always breathing as if he's doing a marathon but he's just talking. He'd even complain because our bathroom is upstairs and he had to WALK upstairs to go to the bathroom  ???
Alternately my great aunt died in her SLEEP in her late 90's, even in that age she'd insist on going to buy her groceries and carrying back the bags, and doing everything herself, I remember she was always a calm and kind spirit.

Offline subfarm

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2010, 05:27:14 am »
This thread is a riot. I generally end up walking about 30 minutes a day between the subway and school (yeah, I do it for kicks ;)) . Sometimes I sprint for a block. I do bellydance still, but I've been doing dance hall more often, about 3 times a week for about an hour each time. But when I earnestly "exercise" I do some lotte berk and a lot of stretching. I also do sets push ups and squats at work when no one is looking. Sometimes I end up doing enough sets that I'm sore the next day.

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2010, 05:42:13 am »
lol I forgot one more thing I do even when I don't purposely 'exercise', I turn on some hardcore tunes and dance and pretend-karate just for fun for about 30-60 minutes almost every day. So I guess that could count as cardio, it also helps me feel warm. I got so into it I fell over and hurt myself a few times ><
If anyone has a hard time to get motivated to exercise, play some intense music that you like and you wont even notice as you start goin all crazy and stuff  :D

YES squats are amazing workout! I was extremely sore after I started them and couldn't walk down the stairs the first few times

Offline Hannah

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2010, 11:01:24 am »
ok, you guys had me rolling. I don't know how I missed it for this long. I Generally don't LIKE exercising. Running was the first thing that got addictive for me because it challenged my mind to keep going. And lets face it, I don't have hours a day to exercise because I have two small children. The yoga/pilates I do is pretty intense and works ALL your muscle groups. It's more like dancing than "restful yoga" or stretching yoga. I don't walk anywhere  for work/school because I am at home with the kids all day and honestly don't even leave the hosue somedays. That's just the nature of things. But I am trying to find a bellydancing class as long as they don't make me take my shirt off. I DID just have two kids. :) and I think we even have a pole dancing class that could be fun. :)

I think I will get a jump rope since I could do it quickly and while the kids are playing in the yard. Alhtough I'm sure they couldn't stay away from me long enough to keep from getting hit with it l)

ultimately I want to continue my weight loss ( 50lbs lost, 30 more to go) but I want to be toned more than anything.

Lotte Berk looks awesome.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk