Author Topic: Anyone else have issues with fat?  (Read 5800 times)

Offline subfarm

• Trapper
    • View Profile
Anyone else have issues with fat?
« on: December 17, 2010, 11:56:47 am »
I hope I posted this in the right section.
I'm just wondering if anyone else has any kind of experience or advice to offer. I always prefer lean muscle meat over any other kind of AF. I'm fully aware that humans need to consume fat, but most of the time I want nothing to do with it. It turns me off, sometimes makes me nauseated. Occasionally I'll take some tough fat/connective junk off of muscle meat and gnaw on it, just carry it around and suck and chew on it like gum- I just wont swallow solid pieces. I'm just wondering if anyone else has the same sort of aversion. Sometimes I'm afraid I'm not eating enough fat- normally I can tell because I'll start craving marrow and suet, but I don't know if I'm starving myself to trigger those cravings.
Thoughts?

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
Re: Anyone else have issues with fat?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 12:46:44 pm »
    I know it's not paleo, and can be harder to get, but have you tried raw butter?  I can't chew suet and connective tissue.  Swallowing the juices makes me nauseous.  I do better with suet if I grate it and coat my meat with it.  Connective tissue I can eat fine if I cut into small pieces and just swallow.  What about making a recipe, grinding the muscle and marrow together with some kind of herb that might help nausea.  Even butter I digest much better if I mash it into whole raw egg (haven't tried it with the shell).
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 05:21:36 pm »
I hope I posted this in the right section.
I'm just wondering if anyone else has any kind of experience or advice to offer. I always prefer lean muscle meat over any other kind of AF. I'm fully aware that humans need to consume fat, but most of the time I want nothing to do with it. It turns me off, sometimes makes me nauseated. Occasionally I'll take some tough fat/connective junk off of muscle meat and gnaw on it, just carry it around and suck and chew on it like gum- I just wont swallow solid pieces. I'm just wondering if anyone else has the same sort of aversion. Sometimes I'm afraid I'm not eating enough fat- normally I can tell because I'll start craving marrow and suet, but I don't know if I'm starving myself to trigger those cravings.
Thoughts?
  I'm sure that's very common. I too had an aversion re eating the white fat clinging to my raw muscle-meats and organs(especially the white fat on an ox heart). . It's something I only really got used to after 3-4 years of eating rawpalaeo(though I still don't enjoy raw suet at all). I never felt I suffered as a result of not eating that solid white fat(there's hidden, non-white fat within muscle-meats after all).

I would suggest trying raw(grassfed) marrow, if you're worried or go in for extremely fatty raw meats like raw mutton(the white fat on mutton is much easier re taste). There are 2 types of marrow, depending on which bones you can get:- one is dry as sawdust, and takes a while to get used to, the other is creamy and wet, and a bit reddish in colour and very tasty.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 06:45:42 pm »
Raw egg yolks taste great.

As for your beef or lamb fat:

Depends on the raw fat you are getting.

Some muscle fats taste better than others, so try and taste and find out which fats taste good for you.

Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline subfarm

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 08:57:47 pm »
Thanks! I like suet and marrow, and I do like the taste of fat generally, I just never want it.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 09:21:38 pm »
Thanks! I like suet and marrow, and I do like the taste of fat generally, I just never want it.

If you restrict your carbs, you will want fat.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, 09:21:59 pm »
I do best eating ~5-10% fat by mass I'd guess, when eating animals only. I never measured it but that's an estimate. It's not natural to have a huge abundance of fat.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 09:29:31 pm by miles »
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline ForTheHunt

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2010, 10:00:50 pm »
I don't like the whole fat thing either.

First off you wont find the huge amount of fat on wild animals that RPD people claim you need.

So for example if you were to hunt a young buck or a reindeer they will have very small amounts of fat on them. Unlike domesticated animals.

I definitely think fat is crucial, but in small amounts. Carbs are not the enemy.
Take everyones advice with a grain of salt. Try things out for your self and then make up your mind.

Offline subfarm

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2010, 12:59:51 am »
goodsamaritan- I am most definitely not a zero carb type. I have had hella fat malabsorption issues in the past- I was hoping that maybe it wasn't a psychological thing, because of my previous intestinal issues. I don't think it is, but it seems as if I do better when I keep the animal fat to a minimum. I guess I'll keep doing what I'm doing, eat it when I find it attractive, feed it to the dog when I don't. :)

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2010, 01:40:50 am »
First off you wont find the huge amount of fat on wild animals that RPD people claim you need.
So for example if you were to hunt a young buck or a reindeer they will have very small amounts of fat on them. Unlike domesticated animals.
I definitely think fat is crucial, but in small amounts. Carbs are not the enemy.

Sure, most wild animals have very little fat. Marrow is good, but there ain't so much of it unless the animal is huge.

Subfarm, every one is different and we have wildly different needs. I wouldn't worry at all about that. If you prefer muscle to fat, then eat muscle. Just be aware that we change and that our body needs also change with time.

Francois
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline Rawhanna

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2010, 04:13:31 pm »
Hi Subfarm,

I'm not an orthodox paleo but I am raw, and here are my all time favorite fat consuming options:

animal livers (duck foie gras especially)
unpasteurized butter
bison bone marrow
tuna belly sashimi
young green coconuts
ripe avocados

I also typically buy the cheapest cuts of meat, with higher fat content, but I get your point about difficulty in swallowing them whole. 

A workaround my girlfriend loves is my brisket jerky: I buy grass-fed brisket ($4.99/lb at Whole Foods) and have them slice it thick cut at the meat counter, like bacon, with all the fat left on.  I then low temp dehydrate (~110º) for about 4 hours and it's just perfect--the fat changes from from slippery to an almost gelatin like quality while the meat is firm yet supple and easily chewable.  I love, love, love this type of soft jerky and you can easily cut the strips into smaller bite size pieces.  I'll select the ones with the most fat on them and give the purer meat ones away! 

The fat after this drying process is so delicious I'm tempted to just buy pure animal fat and prepare it this way.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk