Author Topic: Is salami raw?  (Read 13169 times)

Offline Stancel

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Is salami raw?
« on: December 18, 2010, 09:36:56 am »
I am kind of confused here. because I see it referred to as raw but I also read that it is exposed to high temperatures. Wikipedia says it's "completely uncooked", but it also says "salami are not raw per se, they have been prepared via curing". ???

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Is salami raw?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 10:35:09 am »
No, salami is definitely not raw as it is cured. It is also filled with very large amounts of unhealthy preservatives.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 11:36:38 am by TylerDurden »
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline King Salmon

• Elder
  • Eating the best realistic diet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 11:01:17 am »
Rule of thumb: Most deli meats suck.Bologna,salami,forest ham...etc.Not only do they have presevatives,but most of them have sugar added and highly processed.I know,bummer :(
"Eat the best of what's available and call it a day"

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 11:27:35 am »
I think that guy donrad cures some of his meats so you can check into that. For me this would probably defeat the convenience and purpose, unless I wanted to travel for months somewhere with a semi-healthy food source that wasn't smelly.

Offline King Salmon

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010, 11:35:52 am »
unless I wanted to travel for months somewhere with a semi-healthy food source that wasn't smelly.

In that case,you might as well cook up some pemmican ;)

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 11:48:44 am »
In that case,you might as well cook up some pemmican ;)

hehe. dude pemmican is totally not cooked. I mean, you cook it of course, but its raw. :)

---

I'm definitely the kind of person that if for whatever reason i'm eating cooked food, I expect to get in some aesthetic part of the experience and also eat things I wouldn't eat much of raw. On occasion I'll eat pork and chicken sausages and things if they have minimal ingredients and are pastured and esp if I am not near home. This has happened a few times but I've never cooked the meat I eat regularly or the fat.  ???

I probably would make some pemmican in that situation but I much prefer the romantic notion of eating traditional fermented and cured meats from some small shop on a countryside or whatever to weird little bricks even if I was suffering slightly more of nutritional or toxic issue.

Offline Nation

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2010, 02:25:17 pm »
My candida symptoms flare up when i eat cured meat. Cooked meat doesn't have that effect on me. I avoid any meat with nitrites, nitrates, etc.  But what a shame, they taste so good.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2010, 10:37:11 pm »
I avoid any meat with nitrites, nitrates, etc.  But what a shame, they taste so good.

Celery is often used as a nitrate.  It also is unhealthy to eat mixed in a raw meat.

On another forum someone posted a link to fermenting raw meat in sausages (recipes and I think history).

Pastrami, salami and many deli meats were originally unheated.  I don't think I've ever tried them.  I'm not sure when they started heating them.  

Over salami, I would definitely pick real pemmican.  I pretty much disliked salami since I was born.  It smells weird and makes me think of parasites in a bad way.

I've seen uncured meats in the health coop that look like they might be raw, but I called the company that makes it and they say they heat it.

"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline King Salmon

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2010, 12:39:18 am »
My candida symptoms flare up when i eat cured meat. Cooked meat doesn't have that effect on me. I avoid any meat with nitrites, nitrates, etc.  But what a shame, they taste so good.

Depending on what you buy sugar is added which is obviously food for candida.Better to stick with the fattiest meat you can get.Fat kills candida.Try the coconut oil cure.I'm doing it now,it kicks ass.Then eat high fat meats like lamb,pork,or med-fat 25-30% ground beef.

If you really have candida vegetables especially carrots(high in sugar)won't help you IMHO.

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2010, 01:09:52 am »
No, salami is definitely not raw as it is cured. It is also filled with very large amounts of unhealthy preservatives.

well it IS raw. but it's processed. i work for a guy who makes artisinal salami and it's never heated above 85 degrees F.

Offline King Salmon

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2010, 02:04:27 am »
hehe. dude pemmican is totally not cooked. I mean, you cook it of course, but its raw.

Well Lex's version isn't.He renders his fat into tallow.Cooked fat=cooked pemmican.

Either way,it's better than deli meats ;)

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2010, 04:49:50 am »
Raw means unprocessed.
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2010, 07:17:04 am »
Raw means unprocessed.

i understand what you're saying, but to me, raw means unheated. so, to me, ceviche, traditional salami, jerky, etc are raw. and i've noticed i do MUCH better with those foods than cooked meats. which is all that really matters to me.

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2010, 07:39:10 am »
well it IS raw. but it's processed. i work for a guy who makes artisinal salami and it's never heated above 85 degrees F.

My candida symptoms flare up when i eat cured meat. Cooked meat doesn't have that effect on me. I avoid any meat with nitrites, nitrates, etc.  But what a shame, they taste so good.

right. But I think most of the kind in WF and similar shops have indeed been heated. there are uncured meats free of nitrates that I believe must be heated in some way based on how they are packaged. Prosciutto was also traditionally raw I believe. I remember liking 'olive loaf' and all kinds of those processed meats very much years ago. The shittier the better with the uber processed stuff it seems. I've tried some Vermont smoked salami from WF and its ultimately not very exciting, whereas i'v had some amazing 100% pastured pork dogs from a local producer that is well worth the damage from the sugar and salt - has no other ingredients.

Well Lex's version isn't.He renders his fat into tallow.Cooked fat=cooked pemmican.

Either way,it's better than deli meats ;)

yeah, its all cooked, I was just joking. I guess when people argue it as 'raw', the meat part can be considered raw, and from what I gather the fat stays fairly stable as compared to fat quickly cooked in regular daily cooking.

Offline Nation

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2010, 01:23:56 pm »
Any truth to the claim that cured meat causes colon cancer? That alone is a good reason to avoid nitrates.

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2010, 11:48:19 am »
Any truth to the claim that cured meat causes colon cancer? That alone is a good reason to avoid nitrates.

it's a good point. im not sure where the nitrates that are used in cured meats originate, but nitrates are prevalent in lots of vegetables, so it seems unlikely. interestingly, celery juice, which is very high in nitrates, is sometimes used to cure artisinal salami in place of the more conventional nitrates. if i had to cure my own salami, i would use celery juice.

right. But I think most of the kind in WF and similar shops have indeed been heated.

very true. pretty much any salami you can buy in a store is no good. you gotta find the artisinal traditional salami craftsmen. they're rare, but i found one. but i don't eat the stuff regularly at all. only once a month or so when it's more convenient than lugging around fresh raw meat. it's definitely not something to eat very often. i see it more as a survival food. a good way to preserve food too.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk