Author Topic: Endurance Event Diet Ideas  (Read 7761 times)

Busgrw

Endurance Event Diet Ideas
« on: December 17, 2010, 04:08:48 pm »
Hi All,

I was hoping some experienced people here might be able to help. I have been a long term believer in the Raw Paleo of eating but for me putting it into practice has been another thing altogether. I might go a couple of months on strict raw but then certain social events will always bring me off track and back to cooked foods and the odd piece of processed junk for a while before I get myself back on track.

The problem I have at the moment is that I am planning to go 100% raw again in January as I prepare for a 6 day endurance event in April and i'm playing around with what foods to eat. If I could flick a switch I would be fully keto-adapted and just eat fatty meat, organs etc and near 100% ZC but as my body is still running off glucose I need the carbs. The thing is I dont want to get the carbs off simple sugars like fruits etc so would rather get complex carbs in.

In a nutshell, any suggestions on what raw complex carbs I can eat? Is Sweet Potato doable? What carbs do others eat raw?

Thanks for the help.

;D

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
Re: Endurance Event Diet Ideas
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 04:15:32 pm »
Try a Black Radish, its lightly sweet, milky and radishy...its kinda tastes like regular raw potatoes SHOULD have tasted but don't  ???

Busgrw

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 04:17:02 pm »
Try a Black Radish, its lightly sweet, milky and radishy...its kinda tastes like regular raw potatoes SHOULD have tasted but don't  ???

Thanks Yuli. To be honest, i've never even heard of a black radish but will look around. Sounds interesting.

Offline SteakNchop

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 04:21:38 pm »
Y'know, April is a long way away. Why not just become keto-adapted if that is how you think you do best?

Busgrw

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 04:25:00 pm »
Y'know, April is a long way away. Why not just become keto-adapted if that is how you think you do best?

I've tried but it takes me more than 4 months to adapt and with the distances i'm already having to run it isn't possible for me to get enough energy from fats. I'm currently running around 50 miles per week and once the New Year kicks in i'll be up to 60-80 until the event.

Offline SteakNchop

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 04:26:13 pm »
I've tried but it takes me more than 4 months to adapt and with the distances i'm already having to run it isn't possible for me to get enough energy from fats. I'm currently running around 50 miles per week and once the New Year kicks in i'll be up to 60-80 until the event.
I see. Have you eaten ZC in the past?

Busgrw

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, 04:29:04 pm »
I see. Have you eaten ZC in the past?

Yep. A couple of years ago while training for another event but again dont think I ever fully adapted. After this event i'm going to give the events a break and concentrate on adapting fully before upping my training.

Offline SteakNchop

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2010, 04:33:05 pm »
Yep. A couple of years ago while training for another event but again dont think I ever fully adapted. After this event i'm going to give the events a break and concentrate on adapting fully before upping my training.
Just wondering, but why'd you get off it? Was it just not working very well?

Busgrw

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2010, 04:38:52 pm »
Just wondering, but why'd you get off it? Was it just not working very well?

Was working fine through most of training but again once the distances got too high (Ironman training) I needed to revert back to the carbs to push me through.

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2010, 08:30:26 pm »
Do you need carbs for ironman? Ironmans are done in your aerobic zone so you burn fatty acids? not glycogen.

I'm into endurance events BTW and have not eaten carbs (before,during and after) in races over 5 hours and went OK. I'm not exactly elite though.

I would try zero carb unless your a pro.

“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Busgrw

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2010, 08:49:04 pm »
Do you need carbs for ironman? Ironmans are done in your aerobic zone so you burn fatty acids? not glycogen.

I'm into endurance events BTW and have not eaten carbs (before,during and after) in races over 5 hours and went OK. I'm not exactly elite though.

I would try zero carb unless your a pro.

I would say that one doesn't 'need' carbs for any event but it all depends on how you push your body. I can do 5-6 hour events on zero carb and a lot of my training was carried out at zero carb for 6-7 hours but Ironman for me was 12hrs and I regularly hit the high anaerobic heart rate levels on the hills so getting by on the full event wouldn't have worked. If I had been more adapted then maybe but fact is I wasn't fully adapted to burning fats and I suffered if I didn't supplement some sugars in.

As mentioned I have tried zero carb before and it didn't work in the timeframe i'd given myself hence why i'm trying to get a few ideas here until the events over and I can work on changing over to fats again.

The event i'm doing this April is called the Marathon des Sables and trying to bring Raw food for the event is also not an option as you have to carry all your food with you for the 6-7 days with no refrigeration or other means of preserving. Another hurdle to overcome :)

What events have you done on zero carb?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk