Author Topic: Vegetable juice question  (Read 8481 times)

Offline CHK91

• Elder
    • View Profile
Vegetable juice question
« on: December 30, 2010, 05:12:22 am »
Would it generally be helpful to drink low sugar raw vegetable juice from stores in glass bottles or juicing it myself? Or do you guys not recommend them in general?
All I want is the truth... Just gimme some truth.
"I wanna be the minority."

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
Re: Vegetable juice question
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 05:23:01 am »
I don't drink any juice except very seldom a bit of wine (not recommended) and once or twice a glass of sugar cane juice made front of me in Penang (Malaisia) in 1988... The only suitable drinks IMO are water and coconut water.
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline achillezzz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 05:25:30 am »
I don't drink any juice except very seldom a bit of wine (not recommended) and once or twice a glass of sugar cane juice made front of me in Penang (Malaisia) in 1988... They only suitable drinks IMO are water and coconut water.

how old are you  :o 

;)

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 05:27:09 am »
65 in 2011  ;)
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 05:29:31 am »
Don't bother re raw veggie-juice. It takes ages to handle(re washing the juicer afterwards mainly) and requires a really expensive juicer if you don't want to waste huge amounts of money buying vast amounts of fruit/veg to get enough juice from a crappy juicer. More to the point, many RVAFers have complained that they got health-problems if they consumed raw veggie-juice for long periods in sizeable amounts. Some claim that juicing veg not only makes nutrients more bioavailable as a result the shredding of cell-walls, but it also makes the antinutrients in raw veg more bioavailable thus causing potential nutritional deficiencies.

IMO, raw freshly squeezed fruit-juice is OK in moderate quantities, though solid raw fruit is , of course, better.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 06:18:13 am by TylerDurden »
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 05:45:43 am »
I only tried carrot juice for veggies. Apple juice is tasty too. A big mess though and expensive, it's my mom's juicer. Carrot juice can be worth it as a treat, very sweet. All better as a whole food as Tyler mentioned though.

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 05:51:58 am »
Fruit juices and blended fruits or ground foods can be useful for those with teeth issues. Or missing teeth. Or infants, meat, liver, organs blended  with water can be a good alternative if breast milk is not availible. Juices can be useful.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 05:55:35 am »
Fruit juices and blended fruits or ground foods can be useful for those with teeth issues. Or missing teeth. Or infants, meat, liver, organs blended  with water can be a good alternative if breast milk is not availible. Juices can be useful.
Well, except that those who can't tolerate carbs find fruit-juices to be really bad for the teeth.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline CHK91

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2010, 06:08:25 am »
Don't bother re raw veggie-juice. It takes ages to handle(re washing the juicer afterwards mainly) and requires a really expensive juicer if you don't want to waste huge amounts of money buying vast amounts of fruit/veg to get enough juice from a crappy juicer. More to the point, many RVAFers have complained that they cgot health-problems if they consumed raw veggie-juice for long periods in sizeable amounts. Some claim that jucing veg not only makes nutrients more bioavailable as a result the shredding of cell-walls, but it also makes the antinutrients in raw veg more bioavailable thus causing potential nutritional deficiencies.

IMO, raw freshly squeezed fruit-juice is OK in moderate quantities, though solid raw fruit is , of course, better.

Are carrots generally low in anti-nutrients?

I want to avoid fruit for a long while until I become less insulin resistant, if that ever happens.  -\

All I want is the truth... Just gimme some truth.
"I wanna be the minority."

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2010, 06:16:38 am »
We follow Aajonus's vege juice recommendations and have no probs. We also drink a fair amount of milk and cream also as per AV's recommendations.

However we bought the good expensive juicer with no regrets.

I cannot tolerate fruit juice period.  My GF can drink a very small amount.

You have to find out for yourself. Every person has their own likes/desires/physiological requirements. Obviously a Sumo wrestler is not going to like what "Twiggy" likes.
Cheers
Al

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2010, 06:16:48 am »
Are carrots generally low in anti-nutrients?

I want to avoid fruit for a long while until I become less insulin resistant, if that ever happens.  -\

Lower than some other veg like broccoli. Raw solid veg like carrots which are easily digestible raw, are fine. it's difficult to overindulge in them, if they're not juiced.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Stancel

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2010, 06:58:02 am »
Juicing takes away the fiber from fruit and veggies.

Offline bharminder

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2010, 05:52:59 pm »
I like a veggie juice (celery, brussel sprouts, collard greens, kales, whatever greens or vegetables I DON'T generally eat) sometimes, maybe a couple of  glasses every 2 weeks

Offline David Howe

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2011, 03:35:16 am »
Vegetables juices are one of the pillars of my present diet. I juice daily, carrots, celery, spinach, orange...etc.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2011, 06:42:10 am »
I like a veggie juice (celery, brussel sprouts, collard greens, kales, whatever greens or vegetables I DON'T generally eat) sometimes, maybe a couple of  glasses every 2 weeks
That's OK. It only may become dangerous, according to reports, if one drinks 1 or more glasses a day. In my case, it never got to that point, as I quickly get liquid diarrhea from it as soon as I drink even 1 glass.
" Ron Paul.

Offline bharminder

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2011, 09:15:51 am »
Lately I've been eating more vegetables rather than juicing them.

On another note, if you are constipated for a whole week you can drink vegetable juice as a strategy.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk