Author Topic: Marcel Dicke: Why not eat insects?  (Read 5150 times)

Offline Coatue

• Warrior
    • View Profile
Marcel Dicke: Why not eat insects?
« on: December 31, 2010, 03:04:55 pm »
Interesting Video. Let me know what you guys think:

http://www.ted.com/talks/marcel_dicke_why_not_eat_insects.html

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Marcel Dicke: Why not eat insects?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 08:47:15 pm »
Ive always thought the biggest fault in the raw paleo diet is that we don't encourage insect consumption enough. If I had some source of them I would consume them regularly but unfortunately this is America...
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 10:59:35 pm »
Bring a whole new meaning to - a plague of locusts overrunning the fields of grains..
Cheers
Al

Offline turkish

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 01:44:12 am »
my used to own farmlands in pakistan( this is another story), my dad said as kids when the locust swarms would eat all the wheat crop. they would just cook and eat the locust - he said that they just tasted like wheat plant.

i guess thats why the so called vegetarian hindu's (my parents are hindus) kept good health (inspite of their so called vegetarian diet), they would eat only locusts as their meals when their favorite wheat crop ran out.

Offline Stig of the Dump

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 05:14:19 am »
I read a fascinating Victorian book on this topic.  Well worth a read (UK Amazon link - might be best look to buy in your own country for cheap delivery):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Why-Not-Insects-Vincent-Holt/dp/0946014124/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1295039371&sr=8-1

I think he also talks about eating slugs and snails.  This article cautions against doing that raw:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/australiaandthepacific/australia/7718592/Australian-man-gravely-ill-after-eating-slugs-for-a-dare.html

(Although, reading it again, it says the same illness can be caught from unwashed fruit and veg!)

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 05:44:38 am »
Ive always thought the biggest fault in the raw paleo diet is that we don't encourage insect consumption enough.

Yes, that's true. GCB thinks the same. Bruno Comby wrote a book about it and ate raw insects in front of TV cameras. He did some investigation to find out which insects are edible and which ones are not.
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline King Salmon

• Elder
  • Eating the best realistic diet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 10:01:08 am »
Insects are eaten quite a bit in Africa and Asia.They usually roast them though.
How would you eat raw insects? I'm assuming they would have to be alive and kickin' ???

Hey Sully,been huntin' for insects lately? :)
"Eat the best of what's available and call it a day"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk