Author Topic: Specific Carbohydrate Diet?  (Read 8167 times)

Offline King Salmon

• Elder
  • Eating the best realistic diet
    • View Profile
Specific Carbohydrate Diet?
« on: January 08, 2011, 07:01:08 am »
Just wanted to see if anyone has looked into the Specific Carbohydrate Diet and perhaps combined it with RPD(other than Brady).
The main idea seems to be to eat simple carbs as opposed to complex carbs, in order to make it easier on the digestive system.Thoughts? Experiences?
It apparently has helped many people with digestive disorders and more.
"Eat the best of what's available and call it a day"

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Specific Carbohydrate Diet?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 07:11:47 am »
Most people here get their carbs from fruit or honey. Which I beleive is simple carbs/sugars. Ripe fruit is also easy to digest.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 07:35:29 am by Sully »

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 07:29:26 am »
Yah raw paleo should already pretty much only incorporate simple carbs anyway.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 07:46:13 am »
I took a look at their website months ago and the premise is also paleo diet.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 09:50:25 am »
If SCD on it's own helped anyone I'd be really surprised. This was one of the first 'diets' I came across for IBS, which at least pointed me in a direction away from starch, but it was not enough.  Processed dairy, aspartame, dried fruits and nuts are on the 'legal' list. So the 'recipes' that people come up with basically use combinations of nut flours with yogurt and honey or dried fruits to make breads, cookies, etc.. instead of encouraging a way of eating without that stuff.  It's a step in the right direction, I guess. Hopefully people can know that more change is necessary than to just make all the concessions of their old diet using different ingredients.

Also, and I don't know why, but there are a lot of simple carbs on the 'legal' list that don't work for me, so it's not just starch.  (Acidic fruits for example that go thru me undigested kinda burn and hurt all the way thru.)  I'd love to experiment eating these foods (fruits), and even nuts, where everything is freshly picked when ripe and grown in strong soils wo chemicals, etc. to see how I would react.  I really wonder if that would change all my intolerances.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 09:58:31 am by Ioanna »

Offline turkish

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 10:46:13 pm »
where everything is freshly picked when ripe and grown in strong soils wo chemicals, etc. to see how I would react.  I really wonder if that would change all my intolerances.

I suspect it would.

Offline King Salmon

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 02:09:47 am »
Most people here get their carbs from fruit or honey. Which I beleive is simple carbs/sugars. Ripe fruit is also easy to digest.

So,doesn't eating simple carbs cause insulin spike? I thought that insulin spike was one of the things that made humans un-healthy?

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 04:04:04 am »
So,doesn't eating simple carbs cause insulin spike? I thought that insulin spike was one of the things that made humans un-healthy?
Yah but fruit also has fiber, lowering the insulin spike, if you look up the GI value of most fruit you will see they have a relatively low impact on blood sugar spikes.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline King Salmon

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 05:57:17 am »
Yah but fruit also has fiber, lowering the insulin spike, if you look up the GI value of most fruit you will see they have a relatively low impact on blood sugar spikes.

ok.How about honey?

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011, 11:38:00 am »
Honey has a GI value of 60. Not very high but not low. Its more sugar but its mostly composed of fructose which I forgot to mention earlier is a slower digesting sugar, because it is what fruit sugar is as well. I also read somewhere that honey has some insulin-like substance which may also help with blood sugar control.

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2011, 03:13:28 pm »
its mostly composed of fructose
Not true.
It depends on the kind of honey.
On average the ratio between glucose and fructose is 50/50.
Moreover, the honeydew honey and heather honey have got 1/3 of some complex carbs, so it's about: 1/3 glucose, 1/3 fructose and 1/3 disaccharides, trisaccharides (e.g. melezitose), tetrasaccharides, etc.
Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2011, 03:54:08 pm »
Not true.
It depends on the kind of honey.
On average the ratio between glucose and fructose is 50/50.
Moreover, the honeydew honey and heather honey have got 1/3 of some complex carbs, so it's about: 1/3 glucose, 1/3 fructose and 1/3 disaccharides, trisaccharides (e.g. melezitose), tetrasaccharides, etc.
Noted, but still the point being that honey doesn't have a huge effect on blood sugar.

Edit: Forgot to note that if you were actually a paleo man you would probably eat the wax and bee larvae in the hive, further lowering its affect on blood sugar.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 04:13:05 pm by kurite »

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2011, 04:13:17 pm »
Noted, but still the point being that honey doesn't have a huge effect on bllod sugar.
AFAIK - only true RAW honey
Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

Offline squishface

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2011, 05:46:52 am »
Wanted to clear up a few things regarding SCD...

First, it has helped me a lot, and many many other people with a wide range of intestinal problems. However if you have digestive issues and food intolerances, you need to start with the INTRO DIET and progress through stages of adding food slowly. Check out this website, it's got lots of info, the stages are all lined out and there are recipes as well.

http://www.pecanbread.com/

Here is the ultimate resource, based on the book "Breaking the Vicious Cycle" by Elaine Gottschal (who brought the diet into the public eye and helped develop it, working with the Dr's Haas.):

http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info/

I for example cannot tolerate raisins or other dried fruits, cheeses or cabbage family vegetables. I am not ready for the 'stage' of the diet where you add them in. Each person is different, you have to be very diligent and make individual adjustments for this diet to work.

I also wanted to clear up something very important!! Insulin spikes do not make humans un-healthy!!! CHRONICALLY ELEVATED INSULIN is what is unhealthy.

Finally, the honey, yogurt, dried fruits, processed cheeses, ETC are all very very specific if they are to be 'Legal' for the SCD Diet. SCD legal honey does not have disaccharides, SCD legal yogurt does not have lactose. Etc... 

When it comes down to it SCD and Paleo are very similar... 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk