Author Topic: Nothin but butter  (Read 6927 times)

Offline Coatue

• Warrior
    • View Profile
Nothin but butter
« on: January 09, 2011, 11:44:30 am »
anybody eat butter by itself? Without protein?

Offline laterade

• Chief
    • View Profile
Re: Nothin but butter
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 12:24:21 pm »
Yes and I love it.
However I prefer to eat butter with honey, I do that more often.

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 01:25:13 pm »
only when there is no protein to be had. I find the taste to be rough on its own, but I've eaten as much as 1lb on days trapped without anything else to eat. I'm a real sport, but things like marrow are generally happier meals for me.

Offline laterade

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 02:36:21 pm »
I should probably try marrow again, last time was not that happy for me, but that was a few months ago.

@ KD.. Would you prefer suet to butter?

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 04:43:37 pm »
Yes and I love it.
However I prefer to eat butter with honey, I do that more often.
Several years ago I also combined butter with honey or with some dried sweet fruits.
But there is one caveat - http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/2010/03/butter-and-insulin.html
Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

Offline rawcarni

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 06:59:59 pm »
Several years ago I also combined butter with honey or with some dried sweet fruits.
But there is one caveat - http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/2010/03/butter-and-insulin.html
See Peters Hyperlipi blog or Panu blog (Dr. Harris) for responses to that study. Both of the guys are analyzing the Dr. Davis study and point to the fallacies in it.

Offline Nation

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 08:09:02 pm »
I thought this thread was going to be about some crazy person on a "nothin but butter" diet. Would've been awesome, diet of the future maybe? The next step after raw paleo.

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 08:51:55 pm »
@ KD.. Would you prefer suet to butter?

Not sure what you mean. I eat suet regularly but not daily or even every week precisely because of how I approach this issue. I like lamb and buffalo as opposed to the more waxy beef, but find all to be sometimes hard to breakdown in my mouth and sometimes even stomach. I probably rather would eat it alone than butter and do sometimes, but probably not the entirety of the day. I've eaten butter-only some days because I literally sometimes have nothing else to eat and am lazy or unable to get to a shop. The suet I get mailed so unless I havn't 'budgeted' my meat order well,  odds are I still have meat to eat in the freezer. I ate suet on a bus trip recently, looks sort of harmless like a anemic biscuit.

Personally it makes little sense for me to concentrate on 1-2 fat sources if I am already ascribing to a very 'limited' high fat diet, although I would never argue these things are essential to health, this makes the most sense to me.

as I was trying to point out in the butter/tallow thread, alot of this stuff comes down to what you want and what your diet is like. If you have a high fat almost exclusively ruminant diet, and thats what you think is best, of course suet or even tallow will do the trick there, but that doesn't prove that fats from raw butter or, eggs, or fish/oils etc..wouldn't have some added benefit long term, just as people eating a Primal Diet and for the most part exuding animal fats like marow/suet/fatty organs etc...can't claim these are 'unnecessary' for this reason of longevity or whatever.

Its seems to me that even Aajonus, Scott Wheeler etc...have lowered their gripe with these - likely - frozen fats to them being 'less nutritional', and not necessarily harmful in regards to bacteria or whatever. It doesn't take a tremendous leap of faith to find some middle ground from either theory.

Someone on here that was banned suggested even Aajonus claimed animal fats were superior to dairy - which I have never heard. I think Daniel Vitalis is someone who does see dairy this way in somewhat medicore -substitute- fashion, but obviously ascribes benefits to it as well not present in animal fat for contemporary humans. For me personally, I'm pretty sure that even if I had access to 100% freshly killed wild animals, I could still rationalize eating some raw butter from a healing/nutritional standpoint, and certainly not taste or appeal otherwise or necessary to remain on planet earth.

---

I know people that have stuck to vegetarianism but have employed raw butter as the bulk of their 'high fat' veg diet, and I think likely to greater good than would have suet or tallow alone as a single food and certainly fruits. To me since I do eat some fish,birds, and fruits, and the occasional starch, butter compliments these things well and keeps me replenished without needing to gorge on the carbs or protein in these meals to be satiated.

If someone is getting their energy from a mix of carbohydrates and protein, the only reason to eat raw butter would be because it does provided a number of nutrients that arn't present in such foods, although the degree of necessity or trade-offs possible detriments would come into play, particularly if they were not used to eating it and weary of all symptoms of such. [Insert claims of internal stored toxins/casein here]

there might be issues regarding natural hormones or mineral imbalances in pastured raw dairy in regards to long term to contrast the advantage in eating such easily assimilated fresh fats, but it seems pretty conclusive to me that people can get healthy eating it, and anecdotally often faster than the alternatives.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 01:33:47 am »
Raw butter and honey is awesome. My GF mixes up some in a jar for regular snacking during the day

Mix it with honey and cream and you just might give up everything else.  ;D
Cheers
Al

Offline laterade

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 12:35:39 pm »
Whoa.. I just realized that I may have missed the point of this thread.
Eating butter alone as a meal is good, but not my whole diet. Many breakfasts are just butter and possibly honey.
However I do eat a lot of protein, I would never desire to eat a 100% fat diet. LOL
70% fat at the most, primarily butter for the time being.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2011, 12:51:23 pm »
70% fat at the most, primarily butter for the time being.

By mass?
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline laterade

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2011, 12:56:22 pm »
Yes, the cuts of meat I choose are pretty fatty.
I also eat avocado and coconut.

Offline laterade

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2011, 12:57:13 pm »
Usually ends up around 40-50% though, not that I am counting.

Offline SteakNchop

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2011, 03:45:36 pm »
Butter does have a small amount of carbs, so you couldn't get a 100% fat diet using butter.

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2011, 07:38:55 pm »
Butter does have a small amount of carbs, so you couldn't get a 100% fat diet using butter.
Below 1 g of carbs in 100 g of butter. Too much?  :o
Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

Offline Nation

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2011, 10:27:42 pm »

Hi Charles!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk