Poll

Have you ever experienced what seem to be ESP/psychic phenomena?

Lots of times in my life
7 (41.2%)
Only occasionally
3 (17.6%)
Never
7 (41.2%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author Topic: Psychic Phenomena  (Read 8219 times)

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Psychic Phenomena
« on: January 10, 2011, 09:02:07 pm »
Here is a recent study about precognition:-

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/8245086/Extrasensory-perception-experiment-how-it-worked.html

I have always been puzzled about the whole notion of ESP. On the one hand, there is a lot of anecdotal evidence from people, on the other hand, most scientific results indicate that ESP doesn't exist in any form, and then there are all those fraudulent psychics.

In my own case, I have experienced deja vu a couple of times in my life. One example was me having a dream about a specific room full of beds, and then visiting an Army camp while in the Army Corps at school and then staying in that very same room - though there are, admittedly, adequate scientific, non-ESP, explanations for deja vu. Then I have a female relative who claims that she can sense when those close to her have died, many hours before she got officially notified of the death via accident or whatever.

Anyway, I'm curious to see what people report.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Psychic Phenomena
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 10:48:29 pm »
I have had some profound experiences that are really hard to explain, I have also notice my dogs ability to perceive when My mother would come home from work, she got off at irregular times but like clockwork within 5 to 10 minuets from the time she would pull into the driveway my dog would get all excited and pace arround like she was waiting for her arrival. I have developed a similar sence that right before my wife pulls in I get a sensation of her, it also happens before she calls me on the phone I can sense her thinking of me. I grew up with a cousin who had the same occurrences.

I don't really Know if you will believe me but My son who is four years old has a favorate Aunt and one night before he went to bed he says I want to see aunt Carrol, I told him she was at her house and we will see her next week. She lives 40 miles away and we have had no contact with her for over a week, He then says out of the Blue, Carrol is sick, Dad, I tell him that she is fine and at her house ,but he insist that she is sick, I tell him that she is never sick, and to go to bed. Two days later She gives us a call and says that she had just gotten over a flu that had kept her at home the past couple of days.

Just two days ago I took him over to my Granny's but she wasn't there so as we were leaving I was thinking to myself about where else could we go, and my cousin Todd popped into my mind, we hadn't seen Todd since my 2 year olds birthday in October and I hadn't mentioned his name at all when I heard my son say I want to see Todd, I cant explain it but he had some how read my thoughts.

A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Offline turkish

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 01:41:58 am »
it happens all the time, we have been conditioned not to pay attention to it.

Offline CHK91

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 01:46:29 am »
I remain skeptical since I have never experienced such phenomena. Some supposed occurrences may well be just coincidence. However, I am not completely closed to the possibility of its existence.
All I want is the truth... Just gimme some truth.
"I wanna be the minority."

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 01:52:58 am »
I had launched a thread about that.

I voted “Lots of times in my life” but it’s occasional as well, not every day! Of course ESP is real, there are millions of reports and witnesses. There’s nothing there in contradiction with the laws of physics as we now know them, things such as the EPR paradox show that our conventional perception of space-time is wrong.  

In relativistic  quantum theory future and past co-exist, so there’s nothing magical about precognition: it’s just something unusual but it doesn’t puzzles me anymore since I read Costa de Beauregard. See  Nonlocality With Time Reversibility

(I didn’t read the full texts of those links, I just found it quickly by Google)
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline CHK91

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 02:00:33 am »
On a completely unrelated note, it is possible that I had a "ghost experience" once. One night I heard some noise in the downstairs study. I went downstairs and the rattling noise became louder and I could swear that I saw pens and pencils rattling about in a holding cup. As soon as I turned on the lights, it stopped and I suddenly felt this incredible chill that weakened me as I went to the floor. I really don't know what to make of this event. It could have actually happened or maybe I was just tired and just delusional because of it.
All I want is the truth... Just gimme some truth.
"I wanna be the minority."

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 02:30:56 am »
On a completely unrelated note, (..)

I don't think it's unrelated. There's a good book of John Fuller on the subject, apparently a true story: The Ghosts of flight 401

Over the following months and years, employees of Eastern Air Lines began reporting sightings of the dead crew members on board another L-1011 (N318EA). The story was that parts of Flight 401 were salvaged after the crash investigation and refitted into the other L-1011 (Even though some parts were salvaged and re-used to maintain other airplanes in Eastern's fleet, the accident resulted in the total hull loss of N310EA and it was written off).[10]  Sightings of the "spirits" of Don Repo and Bob Loft spread throughout Eastern Air Lines to the point where Eastern's management warned employees that they could face dismissal if caught spreading ghost stories.

The story of the crash and its aftermath was documented first in John G. Fuller's 1976 book The Ghost of Flight 401, and later in Rob and Sarah Elder's 1977 book, Crash.
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 05:24:33 am »
Well I just saw a ghost:

Me too.
However, there is something called "lucid dreaming", which is done by intent. It's on my list, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Anyone try it?

5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline dsohei

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 06:59:15 am »
everyday, multiple times a day - it becomes normal and useful when practiced, and in conjunction with systematic regular meditation.

Offline turkish

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 07:01:23 am »
everyday, multiple times a day - it becomes normal and useful when practiced, and in conjunction with systematic regular meditation.

do you meditate regularly?

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2011, 08:59:08 am »
My grandfather was born not to far from where Edgar Casey was born. Perhaps there is something in the soil down there that nourishes the physic mind. There was a time when a well learned man could easily pass as a mentalist, now we are just labled mental(Anyway). I have read the history of how Edgar and his grandfather were spiritually linked and when the grandfather died tragically Edgar learned to conjure him up as a spirit and would be taught lessons by the ghost. I know all of  this should all be taken with a grain of salt, I am just illustrating something I believe about the power of the human mind. Edgar learned to conjure up these states of mind where he had access to knowledge that is beyond perception. I believe everyone has some ability to conjure up the spirit world , if only in a limited capacity. A mind can perceive energies that cannot be measured and I believe these energies can be perceived by the mind without being filtered through the sense organs, its only that in the brains of most humans these messages are overrun by the loudness of the sense organ messages. People like Edgar could have had some brain anomaly that allowed him to Develop certain areas of the brain that may have been in tune of the third eye which developed during the time we lived as sea creatures in the dark depths of the ancient oceans(anyway) He did have a nail go through his head as a child, and was traumatized by his grandfathers death, it could have been anything. The point is that he somehow learned to focus and develop areas of the brain that the average man cannot perceive. The 90 percent of our brains that we don't use could be where the potential for paranormal perception exist. It is real, but its so faint and like I said completely drowned out by the noise of the seance organs so we can never learn the language..
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 11:14:02 am by sabertooth »

Offline dsohei

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2011, 10:57:08 am »
@turkish- yes i meditate very often, at least a little bit every day, and much longer on some days.

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2011, 05:26:30 am »
Both my wife and myself are very attuned.

Deja Vu used to be a fairly frequent (at least weekly) occurrence for me when on SAD but has greatly diminished since going RAF. I did have particularly strong, and long (~30 seconds), instance recently though which I attribute to a combination of the fruit I had consumed and it's negative effect on my body as a whole as well as a poor night's sleep.
I've got a friend who kept a dream journal. He interestingly enough had a dream months, or perhaps it was years, earlier about a particular event in which he was putting on a seat belt in a car and he noted the peculiar color of the belt. After having this same event occur in "real life" and sensing the Deja Vu he was able to go back and find the old entry which fit things to a "T".

My wife and I have also both experienced paranormal entities. I've caught things out of the corner of my vision as well as heard things and felt things. My wife has done the same but has also seen entities full-on.

My personal view on psychic phenomena is that one generally encounters it when one's body is in greater states of distress. Both bad diet and lack of sleep have increased the instances of my experiences exponentially. It seems that both had a sedative effect on the body which changed the functional level of my brain waves.

I love talking about this stuff with other interested parties but a forum really doesn't work as well as talking about it. :(

I don't really Know if you will believe me but My son who is four years old has a favorate Aunt and one night before he went to bed he says I want to see aunt Carrol, I told him she was at her house and we will see her next week. She lives 40 miles away and we have had no contact with her for over a week, He then says out of the Blue, Carrol is sick, Dad, I tell him that she is fine and at her house ,but he insist that she is sick, I tell him that she is never sick, and to go to bed. Two days later She gives us a call and says that she had just gotten over a flu that had kept her at home the past couple of days.

Just two days ago I took him over to my Granny's but she wasn't there so as we were leaving I was thinking to myself about where else could we go, and my cousin Todd popped into my mind, we hadn't seen Todd since my 2 year olds birthday in October and I hadn't mentioned his name at all when I heard my son say I want to see Todd, I cant explain it but he had some how read my thoughts.
Sabertooth, is he the eldest? Or at least the eldest boy? I don't know why but many of the people I've met with gifts who were men/boys were the eldest. It seems that the more kids the less likely they are to have gifts (i.e. kid 1 has the greatest likelihood, kid 2 has less, kid 3 has even less) but there are exceptions to the rule (both my wife and my mother were kid number 3 in their family and both are the most attuned in their families).
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2011, 06:27:46 am »
I don't know why but many of the people I've met with gifts who were men/boys were the eldest.

Maybe because they get used to entertaining their younger siblings, so they continue to entertain people with their stories?
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2011, 08:39:35 am »
Maybe because they get used to entertaining their younger siblings, so they continue to entertain people with their stories?
It's easy to ridicule that which you have not experienced. There is much in this world many are oblivious to. ;)
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2011, 09:38:47 am »
My Son is the oldest and  an only child for the first two years, I was the oldest child who didn't have a sibling until I was 5 years old. I think in the first born they will tune their minds onto what the elders are thinking and are less distracted by an older sibling.

I love to speak of spiritual things. That's why attend a UU church its fun to talk about the stranger things to strangers. The round table discussions I take part in there are entertaining and uplifting.

I had a premonition once and I awoke in terror and actually wrote down what I had experienced. I had dreamed that I was my cousin who was pregnant and my water broke and the words"I just had a miscarriage" went through me. I was living the experience. I knew my cousin was pregnant , but had no way of knowing what was happining to her miles away. the next day her brother called me and told me she had a miscarriage that night. I am serious this happened to me and totally freaked me out.

I had another experience in California when I had this vivid dream of a blue light that radiated from everywhere, The next day I went over to a this place I had never been before and I stepped onto the back porch and there was that same blue light, he had put a blue tarp over the back deck and the sun shinning through it put off the same color of light that was in my dream. This was more than Deja vu.

Offline turkish

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2011, 11:10:27 am »
it happens, i saw my best friends death in a dream, just a few days before it actually happened.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2011, 01:56:23 am »
I have had some profound experiences that are really hard to explain, I have also notice my dogs ability to perceive when My mother would come home from work, she got off at irregular times but like clockwork within 5 to 10 minuets from the time she would pull into the driveway my dog would get all excited and pace arround like she was waiting for her arrival. I have developed a similar sence that right before my wife pulls in I get a sensation of her, it also happens before she calls me on the phone I can sense her thinking of me. I grew up with a cousin who had the same occurrences.

I am reading Rupert Shedrake's "seven experiments that could change the world" "A do it yourself guide to revolutionary science" One of the topics he talks about is the business of dogs intuition. Another of his books is "Dogs That Know When Their Owners Are Coming Home" and "The Sense Of Being Stared At".

Science is a bit behind the times because the instrumentation to measure the subtle energies do not exist. However they are slowly being devised.

There is a book by a past Chairman of Stanford University's Department of Material Science and Engineering  Dr William A Tiller who looked quite extensively into the study of things paranormal. His book "Science and Human Transformation" delves into the topic at a level beyond my comprehension as a non-engineer.
Cheers
Al

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2011, 01:58:56 am »
On a completely unrelated note, it is possible that I had a "ghost experience" once. One night I heard some noise in the downstairs study. I went downstairs and the rattling noise became louder and I could swear that I saw pens and pencils rattling about in a holding cup. As soon as I turned on the lights, it stopped and I suddenly felt this incredible chill that weakened me as I went to the floor. I really don't know what to make of this event. It could have actually happened or maybe I was just tired and just delusional because of it.
When I learned how to dowse one of the topics was "Wandering Spirits". We had one in our house. It was weird and uncomfortable. I used the technique to send her packing to her next adventure. The house instantly felt better.
Cheers
Al

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2011, 02:04:05 am »
Here is a recent study about precognition:-

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/8245086/Extrasensory-perception-experiment-how-it-worked.html

I have always been puzzled about the whole notion of ESP. On the one hand, there is a lot of anecdotal evidence from people, on the other hand, most scientific results indicate that ESP doesn't exist in any form, and then there are all those fraudulent psychics.

In my own case, I have experienced deja vu a couple of times in my life. One example was me having a dream about a specific room full of beds, and then visiting an Army camp while in the Army Corps at school and then staying in that very same room - though there are, admittedly, adequate scientific, non-ESP, explanations for deja vu. Then I have a female relative who claims that she can sense when those close to her have died, many hours before she got officially notified of the death via accident or whatever.

Anyway, I'm curious to see what people report.
Lots of books on the subject and one of the better writers is a medium who has a TV show in the US  John Edward (McGee)
Cheers
Al

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2011, 08:57:56 am »
Its like some alarm would go off about 10 minuets or so before my mother would arrive home and our dog would get up and pace in anticipation, I think she works about 8 miles away from the house so by that timing the dog must of picked up some energy about the same time she left the workplace and over 8 miles away, This is gitting closer to some theory of witchcraft , but perhaps people can even learn to pick up such energy's under the right conditions, and even pick up energy second hand , as the witches had done using a familiar.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 09:12:11 am by sabertooth »

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2011, 07:31:48 pm »
That book by Rupert Sheldrake re "7 Experiments..." has the most fascinating look at some of the fascinating ways that scientists indulge in quackery, deception, unscientificism ;D and general self-serving stuff (like the rest of us) that essentially makes the term "scientific" laughable.

Then he wades into the fact of the observer affecting the outcome. Then the difficulty and unlikelihood of most scientific stuff being ever checked out by peers, then the business of being afraid of anyone seeing their "lab notes".

It is interesting that there isn't a public outcry at the amounts of money thrown at this BS and the prestige it garners.
Cheers
Al

Offline turkish

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2011, 12:26:47 am »
That book by Rupert Sheldrake re "7 Experiments..." has the most fascinating look at some of the fascinating ways that scientists indulge in quackery, deception, unscientificism ;D and general self-serving stuff (like the rest of us) that essentially makes the term "scientific" laughable.

Then he wades into the fact of the observer affecting the outcome. Then the difficulty and unlikelihood of most scientific stuff being ever checked out by peers, then the business of being afraid of anyone seeing their "lab notes".
Pretty interesting stuff, i think i will get the book. Also i rememeber doing science experiments in school, we would never get the expected result - so used to fake it. So even as kids science taught us to fake lab results to match theory. So when we reached college and did the same - it did not look like forgery, as we were conditioned since childhood.

Offline Brother

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2011, 05:58:05 pm »
I dont like the term "psychic phenomena". It has been dirtied too much by the Silvia Brown types. I do however believe that there are more to this life than what can be measured and weighed and I have had experiences in my own life that would qualify as "psychic". From experiences with drugs that remove any sense of self like Datura, I think that we all have more communication skills than our social constructs otherwise allow us to use.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk