Author Topic: The proof in the pudding, did your livestock eat grass  (Read 7447 times)

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
The proof in the pudding, did your livestock eat grass
« on: February 01, 2011, 02:37:25 am »
    How do you know what the animal ate, if someone else raised it and slaughtered it far away?  I don't trust what I don't see.

I got tripes to eat a few times.  The contents therein were smelly brown decayed grass.  I didn't find any grainlike substances.

How about you?  Experience or advice for knowing grassfed?

Wow, the government will maybe dislike this.  We're supposed to accept whatever they say is for our best, without ever thinking it out.

Have you found grain in the tripe?
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline Löwenherz

• Chief
    • View Profile
Re: The proof in the pudding, did your livestock eat grass
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 02:55:57 am »
    How about you?  Experience or advice for knowing grassfed?

Hi RawZi,

thanks for your tips regarding beef, grass feeding and tripes. Due to extreme reactions it is very important for me to avoid every gram of grain fed meat.

Unfortunately I haven't found a 100% reliable method to distinguish grass fed from grain fed beef. Therefore I don't buy anything anymore in supermarkets or butcher shops. I only buy directly from honest hunters and reliable farmers. Which is problem when travelling. I had to realize that many farmers here in Germany lie when asked about their cattle feeding. Sometimes I got nasty reactions from so called "grass fed beef" and found out later that the suppliers gave me false information. The good thing is that slowly but surely the awareness about the grain-fed disaster is awakening here. Be happy to be in USA with lots of purely grass fed meat everywhere.

Please let me know when you find a good method...

Löwenherz

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
  • country chickens and lambs and wild bugs
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 03:38:35 am »
it's been a year i'm eating tripes and i'm so happy getting the green grass poopy in the tripe. 

here i'm cleaning my grassfed tripe.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 05:18:50 am by raw »
bugs or country chickens

Offline achillezzz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 03:50:59 am »
In Paul Check's book "How to eat move and be healthy" he say that when some of his clients who were gluten intolerant, when they changed to grassfed beef they felt better.

And some professional athlets who had injuries from sport when they ate regular supermarket meat they had inflamed tendons for years with little recovery when switched to grassfed their recovery improved and he states that their mood and sleep patterns too.

If you have some food intolerance you might feel difference but how significant it will be depends on how low your health is, probably, not sure.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 04:01:14 am »
I never had any allergy towards raw grainfed meats but I didn't notice any real benefit when consuming them;  well, that is I didn't get the nasty stomach-aches I got from eating any cooked animal foods, but I didn't improve, healthwise, on them. It wasn't really until I started getting hold of raw wild game/seafood, and to a lesser extent, raw grassfed meats that I started improving.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 12:07:45 pm »
   How do you know what the animal ate, if someone else raised it and slaughtered it far away?  I don't trust what I don't see.

How about you?  Experience or advice for knowing grassfed?

Wow, the government will maybe dislike this.  We're supposed to accept whatever they say is for our best, without ever thinking it out.

Its not only the possibility of grains that worry me, its the fact that moldy grass and scrub brush is being fed to grass fed cows as a cheaper alternative to pasture feeding. I live in horse country and have even worked as a laborer bucking hay, I remember hearing some redneck farmers joking about how his horses were to pampered to eat moldy grass, so the whole shipment had to be given to the cattle. Its allot cheaper for farmers to use sub quality grass, and I know the quality of the grass effects the quality of the meat. I may be obsessive in some respects, but when we are talking about what is optimal I think grass quality is just as valid a concern as animals being fed supplemental grain.
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 06:42:16 am »
    How do you know what the animal ate, if someone else raised it and slaughtered it far away?  I don't trust what I don't see.

I got tripes to eat a few times.  The contents therein were smelly brown decayed grass.  I didn't find any grainlike substances.

How about you?  Experience or advice for knowing grassfed?

Wow, the government will maybe dislike this.  We're supposed to accept whatever they say is for our best, without ever thinking it out.

I've found a farmer that I trust implicitly. I've also been to their farm and walked through the whole process with them. They're just as concerned with keeping their animals pastured/grain-free as I am. :)
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 06:46:40 am »
I've found a farmer that I trust implicitly. I've also been to their farm and walked through the whole process with them. They're just as concerned with keeping their animals pastured/grain-free as I am. :)
I suppose one can be more secure if one lives in a climate closer to the Equator than where I am.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 08:34:12 am »
I suppose one can be more secure if one lives in a climate closer to the Equator than where I am.
I live in New York. We're about the same latitude. ;)
They've got ~475 acres with 300 head. They have enough fields that they can make hay all spring/summer/fall long and have food for the animals. They also have them outside in all but the worst storms. :)
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline Coatue

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 11:00:00 am »
I live in New York. We're about the same latitude. ;)
They've got ~475 acres with 300 head. They have enough fields that they can make hay all spring/summer/fall long and have food for the animals. They also have them outside in all but the worst storms. :)

I'm from NJ. Where is this farm and what is it called?

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 02:32:14 am »
I'm from NJ. Where is this farm and what is it called?
http://www.grazinangusacres.com/
They're probably 2 - 2 1/2 hours north of NYC. They're a little over an hour drive for me. :)

EDIT: They've got a stall in Union Square as well as attending markets in Brooklyn & South Salem. Definitely worth a drive out to one of the markets to give their meat a try. ;)
-Henry David Thoreau

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk