Author Topic: Bowel Movements  (Read 34659 times)

Offline Techydude

• Shaman
  • The barefoot raw paleo nudist intactivist naturale
    • View Profile
    • Genital integrity through regenerative medicine
Bowel Movements
« on: February 02, 2011, 02:21:40 pm »
That's right! I've been considering switching from omnivorous raw paleo to carnivorous but i've been perplexed by a question due to my common sense making me think - if on a carnivorous diet no plant matter is eaten, that means no fiber, so how do you go to the bathroom  ???

Do you all still eliminate/have bowel movements, if so are they unpleasant or is it diarrhea? Do you have bad or bad smelling gas? Does anything essentially come out the other end easily or is there straining as fiber lessens the need apparently.

Just tell me if you all have had any problems.

Offline rawcarni

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Bowel Movements
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 03:47:11 pm »
I don't want to offend anyone but there is already a thread on this issue...just use the "search" function from time to time.
My BM's are best on a carnivore diet. Fiber tends to constipate me.

Offline Techydude

• Shaman
  • The barefoot raw paleo nudist intactivist naturale
    • View Profile
    • Genital integrity through regenerative medicine
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 03:49:57 pm »
I don't want to offend anyone but there is already a thread on this issue...just use the "search" function from time to time.

Sorry it's just that when I type in bowel movement, bowell, bathroom, or poop I get nothing. Could you direct me to the thread through link?

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 04:39:40 pm »
Yes, one still gets bowel movements on RZC but they are much less frequent than on a raw omnivorous diet. Stools are smaller and there is much less farting/less smelly stools resulting therefrom.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline achillezzz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 10:30:49 pm »
You simply do not need fiber you have muscles there ..

I can eat cooked paleo without fiber and have perfect poopie.

Offline Löwenherz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 04:00:53 am »
You simply do not need fiber you have muscles there ..

I can eat cooked paleo without fiber and have perfect poopie.

Do you have "Perfect Poopie" on raw zero carb as well?

Digestion on raw zero carb never worked well in my case. Still don't know why. Somehow it works much better if all the fat can stick around a LITTLE fibrous matter...

Löwenherz

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 07:46:50 am »
i do not eat any fiber at all, except on rare occasion that i am experimenting.  i have a bowel movement once per day, and yes, it's perfect  :D

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 10:13:38 am »
Sorry it's just that when I type in bowel movement, bowell, bathroom, or poop I get nothing.

try walking to the room with the shower and the little white seat

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2011, 11:25:52 am »
This guy is informative in regards to the fiber fallacy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iz53dawDtJ8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGg8ya_U7CQ&feature=related

The whole necessity of dietary fiber is just a fabrication, that is used to sell animal feed as dietary supplements. Dietary fiber especially from grains can be very irritating to the gut and is totally unessential, especially if one is on a raw carnivorous diet.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 11:41:38 am by sabertooth »
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2011, 11:46:20 am »
Sorry it's just that when I type in bowel movement, bowell, bathroom, or poop I get nothing. Could you direct me to the thread through link?
"bowel movement" brought up lots of threads for me, including three entitled "bowel movements" in just the 2nd page of results.

"constipation" and "constipated" would probably also be good search terms.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2011, 11:59:28 am »
This is my 2nd day of only meat because I wanted to try low carb for a little. So far no bm. Also no gas at all, so far Im liking it but I won't really know whats going on until I go into ketosis.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline achillezzz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2011, 04:40:43 pm »
raw eggs supposed to improve bowel movements

Busgrw

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2011, 04:50:21 pm »
raw eggs supposed to improve bowel movements

I'd second this. When I'm on VLC or ZC all I need to do is have 3-4 raw egg yolks in the morning and i'm good to go  l)

Offline Bronwen

• Trapper
    • View Profile
    • Yoga & Wellbeing
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2011, 08:21:46 pm »
I don't do low or zero carb, but when I added meat to my diet I noticed I was a lot thirstier. So I guess you would have to keep yourself well-hydrated to prevent constipation.

Also, if you are battling, try squatting! Porcelain bowls are the worst invention for human bowel health ever (after the dietary fibre pills of course!). Squatting is how we were designed to empty the bowels. Squatting 'aligns' the rectum correctly, encourages the anus to open and appplies pressure to the colon (so less muscular effort required)....so you get an easier and more complete bowel movement.

How to squat if you don't have a hole in the ground or can't go outside? Balance on the toilet seat if you can, or get a large 'potty', place two bricks on either side of it for height, and flush contents when you're done. Gives you a chance to examine contents if you're into to seeing what comes out in comparison to what went in.

May I always maintain an open mind in my quest for TRUTH - "The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr,Danish Physicist

Offline CHK91

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2011, 12:20:27 am »
I've been eating low carb paleo. I have no problems with elimination but it happens much much less frequently. Probably they happen every 5 days or so.
All I want is the truth... Just gimme some truth.
"I wanna be the minority."

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2011, 02:16:27 am »
I go 1-3 times a day. Rarely do I skip a day ever anymore, although I had infrequent movements for sure when I started. Mine arn't particularly small and tend to be a wide diameter resembling what I assume is my inside tubes and such. Occasionally I'll go through what seems like entire periods of thin or messy movements and then it switches back. Generally some plant fibers I believe can be helpful like sauerkraut and cooked vegetables, but best bets are raw fats and eggs. Likely there needs to be changeover of bacteria which may take a long period of time, so odds are you want to do what you can in the meantime to keep things moving. Going long periods of time isn't exactly the same as constipation, and might not be as dire as mainstream health would believe but it still seems like at least daily should be ideal. More than just food waste exits through the bowel, so its good to have regular transit to eliminate any festering stuff and loose toxins.

I've been squatting for 4+ years or so, although not every time. Sometimes I'll just raise my legs. To me this is one of the simplest things one can do to increase their general health. Shit should just fall out like watching a horse, not like some suffering dog that eats grain food. Any stress and engagement of those muscles consciously drains alot of internal 'chi'.  :-*

Offline Bronwen

• Trapper
    • View Profile
    • Yoga & Wellbeing
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2011, 03:06:30 am »
Likely there needs to be changeover of bacteria which may take a long period of time, so odds are you want to do what you can in the meantime to keep things moving. Going long periods of time isn't exactly the same as constipation, and might not be as dire as mainstream health would believe but it still seems like at least daily should be ideal. More than just food waste exits through the bowel, so its good to have regular transit to eliminate any festering stuff and loose toxins.
Agreed - and 'regular' will be different for each person depending on all sorts of factors including diet type and dietary volume, so switching to a new diet will take you through a transition phase and you will have to discover what the new 'regular' is for you, as well as what becomes normal consistency and volume, as this will change too. You can't compare it with what used to be 'normal' for you.
I've been squatting for 4+ years or so, although not every time. Sometimes I'll just raise my legs. To me this is one of the simplest things one can do to increase their general health. Shit should just fall out like watching a horse, not like some suffering dog that eats grain food. Any stress and engagement of those muscles consciously drains alot of internal 'chi'.  :-*
Raising legs is a good option.....can also just have a low stool in front of loo that you put your feet on. I agree with you about the internal 'chi' being drained....yogis believe same thing goes for excessively loose stools on a continuing basis, as well as excessive defecation (too often or massive amounts). But then the latter is often related to overeating anyway, which is energy-draining in itself.
May I always maintain an open mind in my quest for TRUTH - "The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr,Danish Physicist

Offline pioneer

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2011, 11:01:00 am »
Haha me and my BIO professor share the view that fiber for humans is absolute nonsense. It's funny because this guy is so arrogant yet so right about most of his views. I sit in his classroom full of nutrition majors and he tells us all that fiber for humans is absolutely ridiculous and that its like the USDA is trying to turn us into horses eating cellulose and such which we cant even digest. All the nutrition students look at him like he is crazy. At the end of the lecture I walk right up and shake the guy's hand.
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke

"There is a lot of pressure to be sexualized but not to actually be sexual."
- women's health member

Offline CHK91

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2011, 11:30:23 am »
The frequency of my bowel movements have remained the same 4-5 days. This can't be normal, right? I don't think food is supposed to transit through digestive system this slowly. This was while eating almost no fiber. I actually started eating fibrous leafy greens and carrots hoping to get it moving. Does anyone know why this is happening? It's not just the elimination. I have gastroparesis, and food remains in my stomach for a very long time making me feel bloated.

Offline pioneer

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2011, 12:21:26 pm »
Basically, I say the next time someone tells anyone here about the importance of fiber your response needs to be "it's called peristalsis idiot, basic anatomy and physiology." that is what we have muscles in our intestines for.
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke

"There is a lot of pressure to be sexualized but not to actually be sexual."
- women's health member

Offline CHK91

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2011, 12:24:32 pm »
Should I take glutamine then instead of fiber? The slow transit is pretty uncomfortable.

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
  • country chickens and lambs and wild bugs
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2011, 02:05:48 pm »
Paleo people without fibers are like superstar. They don't smell, they don't make poopy like the entire people in this society do.  :D
bugs or country chickens

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2011, 08:16:55 pm »
I ate completely 100% raw for about a month, and experimented with different combinations of food during that month.  I noticed when I was eating completely animal food, including eggs and dairy, but with not a single plant food whatsoever, I didn't have a bowel movement for like a week.  in fact, I didn't have a bowel movement until I ate any plant foods.  However, I did not feel bloated or constipated or backed up or anything, it felt more like my body was just completely absorbing every last bit of whatever I was eating, until I ate plant foods which contained indigestible parts, and that's when I needed to go.  I'm not sure if that's true or even possible, but from what I understand, or at least what I heard somewhere, dogs that are fed on a raw animal food diet and given whole carcasses to eat, only have dry white bowel movements that contain mostly bone and fur?  which are indigestible, which seems to me that they completely digest the meat/fat/organs and such, and that since I was eating a completely raw animal food diet devoid of bone or fur, that they was nothing indigestible being consumed therefor I had no reason to use the bathroom.
However I have no idea how all that works exactly and that could be complete nonsense, but that's the only theory I could come up with based upon how I felt and the information I've heard (which could also be false or poorly remembered information)

Right now though, I eat a diet consisting mostly of fruits, and I have a normal and easy bowel movement about once or twice a day, although every once in a while I'll eat cooked foods, which usually cause some sort of constipation or diarrhea feeling.. although more of a very mild case of each, perhaps better described as either slightly softer or harder stools than normal.
Hi, I'm 32, around 5'4" and ~124lb, no real significant health problems other than hyperventilating when running/exercising (that my doc said was because of the smog/asthma), fatigue, and really bad acne.
I'd preferably be a carnivore/very low carb, but I have had a very hard time finding grass-fed or even organic fats, organs, and marrow. I consume raw dairy, but I do not eat much vegetables.. however, I do love fruit.
I live with my dad, so I also have to sneak any raw meat eating.

Offline Löwenherz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2011, 12:36:20 am »

Hi Rawcarni,

what is the protein/fat-ratio of your food round about?

Did you need a "transition time" regarding bowel movements after switching to ZC?

I still would like to find out why raw ZC didn't work for me so far...

Löwenherz

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2011, 06:36:00 am »
Should I take glutamine then instead of fiber? The slow transit is pretty uncomfortable.

how about a tsp of coconut oil, a few egg yolks or bone marrow?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk