Author Topic: Pork leaf fat (I.e. "Pork Suet") experience  (Read 5328 times)

Offline CHK91

• Elder
    • View Profile
Pork leaf fat (I.e. "Pork Suet") experience
« on: February 13, 2011, 11:09:12 am »
I had some pork leaf fat tonight, and I felt something strange. There was this sensation around my neck, at the sides. It felt like it was heating up (sometimes intense) whenever I ate a chunk really quickly. Is this a bad thing? What is happening? Are my glands activating?

The taste of it was okay. For a kind of "suet" it was really soft. I feel sort of queasy/"off" right now. Is this because I am not used to it, or is this a clear sign to not eat this again? Does anyone have any experience with this food?
All I want is the truth... Just gimme some truth.
"I wanna be the minority."

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Pork leaf fat (I.e. "Pork Suet") experience
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 11:14:25 am »
i get this on occasion from my farmer.  I love it!, though I did not experience anything like what you describe.

How much did you eat?  From where?

Offline CHK91

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 11:30:07 am »
I ate about 1/4lb. I eat one big meal, and I usually eat about 1200-1400 cals in suet from beef or bison. I had less of a desire to eat the leaf fat than the suet. I chose the leaf fat as opposed to the back fat because it's more saturated, and I feel better on saturated fat. Even eating bison/beef backfat, which is more unsaturated, makes me queasy when I eat it fast.

I get it from a local farmer, Rehoboth Ranch. I wonder if any grain feeding is bad. It's virtually impossible to find non-grain fed pork (Slanker's is a given). I didn't think it would be a big deal since these pigs eat grass and are actually foraging on pasture. Does your farmer feed any grain?

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 11:55:49 am »
well, funny you ask. at the time, my farmer did not use grains.  he has now gone started using them because he moved his farm.  he told me until he built up his land like his last farm, he'd need to supplement with a feed that contained a small percentage of grain in it.  (i guess there is a non-grain one too, but that was too expensive for him). 

i'm not really sure which fats i like best yet.  i just like the leaf fat because it is so light and practically melts on my food on warm day. 

Offline CHK91

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 12:04:16 pm »
Maybe it's the texture that puts me off a bit. It's probably conditioning, since I have been eating dry, hard fat most of the time. It still doesn't explain the uncomfortable burning sensations on my neck though. It can't be an allergy can it? There's almost no protein in leaf fat.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk