Author Topic: Grassfed, what's that?  (Read 2892 times)

Offline Isthmus

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
Grassfed, what's that?
« on: March 14, 2011, 10:34:11 pm »
Hey,

I've been working diligently to find a source of top quality grass fed beef. Some here have told me it's easy! I broadened my search to the whole country, and it seems to me there are only one or two that do not supplement their cows at least a little, in the winter for example.

E.g. From a raw dairy supplier in South East UK:

"The farm is an all grass farm, most of which is permanent pasture on the land on the Pevensey Levels. On the upper western side of the farm, grass leys that are rich in red and white clover are grown. The cows graze all these fields once the ground is dry enough 'to turn them out' in the spring, until the ground becomes too wet in the autumn. The cows are then housed indoors for the winter. They are fed grass silage in the winter that has been made from lush spring grass and clover. An organic pea bean and wheat mix is also fed to the cows to supplement their grass diet."

I've been phoning places, googling and asking around at the butchers near me, and I'm not getting very far. I get some pretty weird responses some of the time. One place I called turned out to be a distributor/abattoir not what I thought, they were really pretty hostile. One guy in a butchers was a bit slow, and didn't have a clue what I'd just asked him and started talking about the amount of fat on the meat. Another guy said something along the lines of "Well, yeah, I guess. I've seen the cows on the fields..." That didn't inspire me too much.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Grassfed, what's that?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 10:38:20 pm »
I've found this too, that many people get really hostile when you ask them how their animals were raised.. Either that or they just have no clue whatsoever.

One woman butcher told me she'd never heard of grassfed, and didn't know what it was.. She said that no beef was grass-fed, that it was impossible.
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline Isthmus

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 10:46:40 pm »
I've found this too, that many people get really hostile when you ask them how their animals were raised.. Either that or they just have no clue whatsoever.

One woman butcher told me she'd never heard of grassfed, and didn't know what it was.. She said that no beef was grass-fed, that it was impossible.

Yeah, it's an odd thing. To be honest it's pretty disturbing! The fact that someone whose life is dedicated to selling and dealing meat doesn't know basic things about his/her trade.

Offline Sitting Coyote

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 11:09:19 pm »
Same is true here in the US generally, but there are enough farmers and farmers waking up to the value of grass feeding that I have ready access to grass fed animal products.  Yeah, most farmers aren't too bright, particularly those who buy in to the industrial processes of raising plants & animals...

Offline Isthmus

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 05:43:13 pm »
Another farmer just got back to me: the cows are out in the fields in the summer but are fed an organic mix in the winter.

Can anyone from the UK comment on this, and give me any advice? How did you manage to find a reliable source!?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk