Author Topic: recommend products to me  (Read 11650 times)

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
recommend products to me
« on: September 09, 2008, 01:09:18 am »
Ok first of all I want to get a good water filter for drinking water. I was looking at BEV or BFRV filters and then read about Daulton gravity filters. Recommendations?

Also for making my meat mix I want either a glass food processor (my current one is plastic) or a meat grinder (stainless steel I suppose). I was looking at grinders online and there are many options online from $30 home units to >$1000 professional ones. It seems like most food processors come with a blender (like mine did) so I might just get rid of my blender/food processor combo and get a new one with both units glass. I liked the one I had because it fits Mason jars like AV recommends you get, but Osterizer probably makes the same thing with a glass food processor.

Lastly I was thinking of getting a meat slicer for helping finely slice meat for drying into jerky. When I sliced it myself it seemed a bit thick and especially the ends were hard to slice safely. When it was done drying it seemed a little thicker than I would have wanted it. Also Satya recommended trying to use jerky as a chip for dips and the jerky I had was too thick for that definitely. Meat slicers are much like the grinders online, tons of options and a huge price range.

Thanks in advance!

William

Re: recommend products to me
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 04:17:51 am »
I have a Black Berkey and am happy with it, replaced by maker with Doulton. If you get one and ever use city water with it, get the extra filter for fluorides. I know of no other filter that has the fluoride option.

I make jerky for pemmican from grassfed organic ground beef, that's all I can afford. Grind it in an old Green Life twin gear juicer (remove the juicing screen!), then a three second spin in a cheap coffee mill.

Grinding in the traditional tinned cast iron manual meat grinder (Porkert) was way too much work.

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 08:30:06 pm »
This filter business is much more difficult than deciding a grinder and meat slicer because I don't want to be taken for a fool by some company making outrageous claims that aren't true about their products. I know a lot of filter makers are probably doing that.

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 05:57:19 am »
kyle did you ever decide on a particular water filter? im now looking for one too and am curious as to what you found. anyone else feel free to comment as well.

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 06:05:02 am »
I bought a $150 filter that fits into a hole in my sink from Aquasana. Also I got a shower filter from them. Every 6 months I can pay about $50 or so and get replacement filters from them. From a review site it shows that this filter takes out mostly everything. The water tastes great, I reuse a glass water bottle from Voss that looks really nice, I wash it out every couple of days with hot water. That's about it! At $200 approximately for the shower and counter filter, I'd say that's pretty damn cheap for very good quality water. Compare that to a couple bucks a bottle in a toxic plastic bottle.

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 06:20:37 am »
cool, thanks for that kyle. i think i need to get myself a glass water bottle. the aquasana filter looks good, but my local health food store has these filters on sale for $89: http://www.newwaveenviro.com/premium-10-stage-water-filter-p-86.html

pretty cheap in my opinion, and i have a friend who recommends them. anyone else have this filter? any suggestions? they also offer a similar shower filter.

ps: kyle, does the aquasana remove fluoride? im still a little confused about whether fluorine is good or bad. im studying environmental engineering at my university and my extremely well respected professor is an expert on drinking water treatment. he's probably the best professor i've ever had and i have a good deal of trust in him. i asked and he told me that fluoride is natural in most waters and that if they didnt add it in treated drinking water we would lose tooth enamel. i generally believe this, but im not so sure about the quality of the sources of fluoride added. i've heard some municipalities add the fluoride left over in manufacturing processes...

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 06:25:26 am »
Fluoride is supposed to help coat enamel or something like that, but my coworkers when I used to work for the local water company said it's also a toxin and they don't add it. People actually call to ask them to sometimes. It's naturally occurring of course, but I'm assuming that's not the stuff they put in. I as well have heard that it's a by-product of manufacturing, and putting it in drinking water is a cheap alternative to whatever else they would have to do with it. I'm assuming if the water company people I worked for didn't do it, and they would have financial incentive to, then it's probably not good. Not to snub your prof, but "water treatment" experts have been saying all kinds of shit is fine in the water. They usually work for waste disposal or water treatment plants and take their info from studies funded by those entities.

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2009, 06:34:46 am »
thanks for the reply. i definitely am skeptical of my professors opinion as he is in the field so he is a stakeholder. it's just he's an old hippy guy and i would totally expect him to be against adding stuff to drinking water. but, he's also a vegetarian so i guess i shouldn't respect his opinion too much, ha. so does your filter get rid of fluoride? or is there just no fluoride in your local tap water? i wonder if you can buy natural fluoride and add it to fluoride-free filtered water?

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2009, 09:39:08 am »
IIRC the naturall-occurring version is Calcium Fluoride.  The version that gets added to water supplies is Sodium Fluoride.  Which do you think would be better for your teeth, simply from the elements in the compound?  Duh, it's obvious.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2009, 01:23:06 pm »
... naturall-occurring version is Calcium Fluoride.  The version that gets added to water supplies is Sodium Fluoride.  Which do you think would be better for your teeth, simply from the elements in the compound?  ...

I know the sodium clay that was pushed for years (it's called bentonite) was horrible for my health, but the same clay yet calcium based instead (terramin) is much better.

I have a Black Berkey and am happy with it, replaced by maker with Doulton. If you get one and ever use city water with it, get the extra filter for fluorides. I know of no other filter that has the fluoride option.

I may try those William.  Thank you.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline nurture

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2009, 01:09:54 pm »
As far as I know, most everything fringe-related says fluoride is a terrible, terrible poison. It decreases IQ, causes fluorosis, makes brittle bones, etc. etc.

http://www.fluoridealert.org/fluoridation.htm

Also check out the book or documentary "The Fluoride Deception"

William

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2009, 03:09:10 pm »
Heads up! There's a new poison being added to municipal drinking water.
http://www.whatdoesitmean.com/index1312.htm

Like compounds of fluorine, it is intended to make us into zombies.

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2009, 11:28:53 pm »
Well my company said it didn't add fluoride, so I'm assuming it's not in there. But I believe my filter takes it out. I remember googling a search for reviews a while back, maybe you can find it. Mine is aquasana, and if you google something like "comparison filter performance" or "what filters remove" you'll should be able to find third party testing of many filter brands such as my own.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2012, 04:07:26 am »
... I might just get rid of my blender/food processor combo and get a new one with both units glass. I liked the one I had because it fits Mason jars like AV recommends you get, but Osterizer probably makes the same thing with a glass food processor. ...
I'm looking to get a food processor. Can someone please explain what it means that it "fits Mason jars"?

These food processors are highly rated at Amazon, do either of these fit Mason jars or can anyone recommend one that does?:

Cuisinart DLC-2009CHB Prep 9 9-Cup Food Processor, Brushed Stainless - Cuisinart
$145.74
4.5 stars, 326 reviews

Cuisinart DLC-10S Pro Classic 7-Cup Food Processor - Cuisinart
$99.95
4.5 stars 357 reviews
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2012, 10:22:04 am »
I can't recommend a glass one - but I got an amazing plastic one not too long ago that I just love.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2012, 10:50:08 am »
Which is what brand and model?
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2012, 12:13:22 pm »
I'm looking to get a food processor. Can someone please explain what it means that it "fits Mason jars"?

I think it just means that the standard 1-quart Mason brand canning jar will fit the equipment.  Basically, the mason jar becomes the container that the blade assembly fits into, and the actuall chopping/processing occurs inside the jar.  I realize that people north of the Mason-Dixon line don't always know about Mason jars, etc.. ;)  I literally have 5 or 10 in my (redneck) kitchen right now, though.   It's a very useful little 1-quart glass jar.

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2012, 12:43:21 pm »
Which is what brand and model?

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/cuisinart-elite-die-cast-16-cup-food-processor/?pkey=e|cuisinart%2Bfood%2Bprocessor|12|best|0|1|24||9&cm_src=PRODUCTSEARCH||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_-Top_Wide_Agrarian%20-%20copy-_-

I love this thing. It's really big so I can get done what I need to all in one shot. It's heavy so it never ever goes rocking or stops and rarely overheats unless I go on forever with it. The blade doesn't come out when you turn it upside down. It has a dough setting which was perfect for making butter. It has this cool holder for all the parts. You can fill it all the way with liquids and they don't spill out. You can adjust the blade in tiny stages too which is nice and only two blades do a tone of stuff.

The separate sized containers I never use - they're kind of a pain in the butt to separate and think about - but that wasn't why I bought it. I needed a really big processor that wouldn't get jammed or that I would have to be careful with liquids in. I hate having to clean out a processor and go back multiple times to make what I want. This one fits everything just about every time. If I'm going to go through using a food processor I usually want to make a bunch of something - but it works well for small stuff too especially if you use just one of the small containers. I find it easy enough to clean too.  It never ever gets unbalanced, never gets jammed and no amount of abuse seems to affect it.

This thing will probably last 100 years it's so solidly built. I use it more than I thought I would because it's so good. I keep it on my counter when I didn't expect to.

It's pricey but it's totally worth it. Buy it once - keep it forever, do anything anyone could ever want with a processor and never worry about it breaking. If you can swing it - there is nothing like having good tools.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2012, 08:13:21 pm »
I think it just means that the standard 1-quart Mason brand canning jar will fit the equipment.  Basically, the mason jar becomes the container that the blade assembly fits into, and the actuall chopping/processing occurs inside the jar.
Interesting, why would one use the Mason jar instead of the container that comes with the device? I'm ignorant of food processors and a bit puzzled, because I saw Aajonus use the original plastic Cuisinart container in a video:
Fast, Nutritious, & Delicious Raw Food Recipes DVD Sampler
I realize that people north of the Mason-Dixon line don't always know about Mason jars, etc.. ;)  I literally have 5 or 10 in my (redneck) kitchen right now, though.   It's a very useful little 1-quart glass jar.
Huh? :o Them's fightin' words! ;) I've always thought of the Mason jar as part of frugal Yankee culture and I'm a history buff, so I looked it up. The Mason jar was invented shortly before the Civil War by a New Jersey-born man living in Philadelphia at the time. It was Yankee factories in Camden, NJ and other Yankee cities that made mass production of Mason jars possible and that were also crucial in Yankee victory in the Civil War. Mass production food preservation methods involving Mason jars and other inventions like tin canning revolutionized the food industry (much to the detriment of long-term health, unfortunately). The Union used Mason jars in feeding its enormous armed forces that subdued Southern secessionists. The immigrants who flocked to the North to work in the factories that made things like Mason jars also helped fill the ranks of the Union Army.

My mother read about ways to use Mason jars in another Yankee institution--Yankee Magazine, which uses the narrower definition of Yankee as New Englander, with a focus on the culture passed on from early English settlers of New England. So the Mason jar is indeed a Yankee (Northern) cultural artifact popular with the famously frugal traditional New England Yankees. If I hadn't heard about Apalachian Southerners drinking moonshine from Mason jars, I'd be surprised that people south of the Mason-Dixon line are familiar with the Mason jar or don't despise it as a symbol of Yankee craftiness and oppression. ;)

It's the food processor that I'm unfamiliar with and that's foreign to traditional Yankee culture. My parents and I have never owned one and my mother has spoken derisively of it, but I can see some potential uses for it now. My youngest sister is more new-fangled. I think she was the first in the family to get one, though I've only seen her use it on one or two occasions, I think.

Of course, it's common for people to acquire the inventions of foreign divils and make them their own, so I don't at all mind that using the Yankee Mason jar has also become a cherished part of "redneck" Southern culture. So if you should take a drink of moonshine/mountain dew/white lightning/poitín from an old Mason jar, be sure to toast the Yankee who invented the jar. :)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 08:27:15 pm by PaleoPhil »

Offline Adora

• Chief
  • to thine own self be true ... Shakespeare
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2012, 09:06:56 pm »
Hi Phil- processing  directly in the mason jar means that there's one less thing to wash. Mine fits to the wide mouth, so you can use any size  jar with wide mouths.
know thyself and all of the mysteries of the gods and the universe will be revealed.
Oracle at Delphi

Then began I to thrive, and wisdom to get,
I grew and well I was;
Each word led me on to another word,
Each deed to another deed.
Odin, who chose to be weak and hang form the tree of the world (the universe), to capture the Runes (wisdom), so he (omnipotent) grew...
Each true word and deed leads to my manifestation of the true me.

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2012, 12:56:29 pm »
I don't like using high powered machinery with glass. Call me a coward - but just one mishap could be deadly - and I'm a Klutz in the kitchen.

I'm the first in my line to use a food processor too Phil - and I just got mine a year or two ago and what a great tool it has turned out to be. It's a marvel how many things can be done in a food processor.   

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2012, 06:20:58 am »
Thanks, Dorothy. You've been such a help. What brand and model is it? With all my moving around, I'm down to one 3+ cup wide mouth Mason jar and some other odd jars, though I can buy other Mason jars if needs be. It sounds like an interesting idea to have the option of using a mason jar instead of the plastic container, even with potential risks. What size jar and machine is normally used for this?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 06:27:01 am by PaleoPhil »

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2012, 10:58:13 am »

Of course, it's common for people to acquire the inventions of foreign divils and make them their own, so I don't at all mind that using the Yankee Mason jar has also become a cherished part of "redneck" Southern culture. So if you should take a drink of moonshine/mountain dew/white lightning/poitín from an old Mason jar, be sure to toast the Yankee who invented the jar. :)

Most people I know are either rural Southerners or Northern/Western transplants from suburban areas.  Certainly anybody raised in the 'burbs anywhere in the US is likely to know squat about Mason jars, canning, etc.. We don't get a lot of transplants here who grew up in rural or semi-rural areas outside the South. I suppose that's why I've never known a Northerner who had heard of Mason jars, or knew anything about canning. 

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2012, 02:57:58 am »
Here's the link to the exact thing that I bought Phil.

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/cuisinart-elite-die-cast-16-cup-food-processor/?pkey=e|cuisinart%2Bfood%2Bprocessor|12|best|0|1|24||9&cm_src=PRODUCTSEARCH||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_-Top_Wide_Agrarian%20-%20copy-_-

You can NOT use it with a glass jar - but even if you could you would use half of the beauty of the thing. With it you can slice and chop in quite amazing ways - and that you will never be able to do with a jar because the discs for all those things fit the container it comes with. The container also is HUGE which is half of why the thing is so good. You can take a cabbage or two and make all the slaw you would want in one shot - super fast. It will not leak liquids so you can use it to make smoothies. It's so powerful that you can easily make nutbutters in it. It has a dough blade and setting that makes putting a gallon of cream in there to make butter is the easiest, cleanest and fastest way to make butter out there.

There are three important words when evaluating a food processor - capacity, power and weight. The 16 cup is the largest capacity outside of restaurant models. It also has smaller containers in case you don't need that much capacity - but when I want to food process it's the capacity that I want! The power and weight go hand-in hand. Almost all food processors get jammed up and start to walk off the counter or overheat during normal operation. This one simply doesn't. It's the only one that doesn't that I was able to find in all the reviews. I searched for months before deciding on this model. You have to have enough weight to withstand the power so that the thing doesn't go running away. This one is amazingly stable.

In my opinion if you want a really useful device when it comes to food processing holding out for glass is just going to be disappointing. You won't be able slide, chop etc. - just mash and you will never find a machine with glass powerful enough and stable enough to do much of anything. I'm totally into glass for everything else - even a blender makes more sense - just not with a food processor. And..... if you are going to buy one - if there's any way you can afford it - just get the one that is the most functional. Big when it comes to processors truly is better. Otherwise - you're not going to have something much better than a blender.

Offline Alive

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2012, 12:52:26 pm »
I can recommend the Magimix 4100, it has a slow speed high torque motor that shreds!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk