Author Topic: Insomnia & RPD  (Read 8899 times)

Offline quietmule

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
    • The Crumbs of Society
Insomnia & RPD
« on: February 26, 2011, 11:33:31 pm »
 I have really bad insomnia problems that didn't go away from eating raw meat/ high meat for a year. I was wondering, would high meat be contributing to my insomnia? My dad says migraines are linked to insomnia, so he showed me a sheet which shows foods not to consume, and it says "aged cheese, wine, pickled products, etc." because they contain tyramine, which I also read bad things about elsewhere on the board in relation to it being in avocados and stuff.

Does anyone know if theres any connection? Does high meat have this stuff?

thanks

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
Re: Insomnia & RPD
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 11:56:57 pm »
My dad says migraines are linked to insomnia, so he showed me a sheet

Hi.  Is your dad following the same diet as you?  Have either one of you gotten a migraine?  I know tyramine is in bananas and yogurt.  Red wine and cheese, just the smell of either used to give me a migraine.  They too have tyramine.  There must be charts on line to figure out if meat could possibly make tyramine.  Are you eating red meat or white?  Do you eat nuts and seeds?  I find nuts interfere with sleep.  What are the effects of your insomnia?  How old are you?  What gender?  I don't have to know, just wondering if it has correlation.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline Caveman

• Bear Hunter
  • Man of the cave
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 12:48:48 am »
How late do you eat your last meal? When do you go to bed?

If I eat anything after 6 PM, it will make a huge difference for me and my sleep.

Ever since I started eating my last meal around 4 PM, my insomnia seems to basically disappear.

Last time I ate a meal at 8 PM, I couldn't get a minute of sleep all night.

I still have problems with sleep, like not sleeping deep enough, long enough or waking up feeling hungover, but not eating at night has made a big difference for me.

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 12:55:21 am »
do you exercise?

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 02:15:22 am »
A female member of another raw forum complained that after eating "high-meat" in the evenings she felt so wired-up and awake that she couldn't get to sleep. It was suggested by another member  that she only eat "high-meat" in the mornings. There was no suggestion that this had to do with migraines/tyramine, but with the fact that the bacteria in "high-meat" boost serotonin in one's brain which enhances concentration/mood etc.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline stoneforest

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 03:12:51 am »
Your mind-body complex may require additional foods that are not stimulating or hot (by Chinese and Ayurvedic standards).  These include greens and or fruits.  I would start off with low carb veggies ery

Offline quietmule

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
    • The Crumbs of Society
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 06:39:07 am »
    Hi.  Is your dad following the same diet as you?  Have either one of you gotten a migraine?  I know tyramine is in bananas and yogurt.  Red wine and cheese, just the smell of either used to give me a migraine.  They too have tyramine.  There must be charts on line to figure out if meat could possibly make tyramine.  Are you eating red meat or white?  Do you eat nuts and seeds?  I find nuts interfere with sleep.  What are the effects of your insomnia?  How old are you?  What gender?  I don't have to know, just wondering if it has correlation.

20, male. nah, he doesn't eat rpd at all haha. I wake up multiple times during the night. Usually fall asleep ok.
How late do you eat your last meal? When do you go to bed?

If I eat anything after 6 PM, it will make a huge difference for me and my sleep.

Ever since I started eating my last meal around 4 PM, my insomnia seems to basically disappear.

Last time I ate a meal at 8 PM, I couldn't get a minute of sleep all night.

I still have problems with sleep, like not sleeping deep enough, long enough or waking up feeling hungover, but not eating at night has made a big difference for me.

yeah, thats a good idea. I'll try to eat earlier.

A female member of another raw forum complained that after eating "high-meat" in the evenings she felt so wired-up and awake that she couldn't get to sleep. It was suggested by another member  that she only eat "high-meat" in the mornings. There was no suggestion that this had to do with migraines/tyramine, but with the fact that the bacteria in "high-meat" boost serotonin in one's brain which enhances concentration/mood etc.

yeah I only eat high meat in the mornings, I usually have fish and olive oil for dinner or something.

Your mind-body complex may require additional foods that are not stimulating or hot (by Chinese and Ayurvedic standards).  These include greens and or fruits.  I would start off with low carb veggies ery

yeah I eat a lot of fruit earlier in the day.

Its hard to eat earlier/exercise because I'm at college all day and have to commute back. =\

thanks for the suggestions guys

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 07:11:10 am »
People don't need as much sleep as they believe

http://www.sleepdex.org/restriction.htm

“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline Caveman

• Bear Hunter
  • Man of the cave
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011, 07:20:15 am »
People don't need as much sleep as they believe

http://www.sleepdex.org/restriction.htm

Yes! Thanks for bringing that up. Whenever I kind of force myself to stay in bed and fall asleep again when I truly awake for the morning (usually around 5 AM), I always feel much worse when I really get up out of bed, like feeling hungover..

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 08:25:46 am »
I agree with wodgina. I'm often told that I don't sleep often enough every night, but I find the 8 hours a day every day spiel to be unnecessary for me.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2011, 08:33:29 am »
I've had sleep problems. I can function ok on only 2.5 hours sleep and with 4-5 hours sleep I'm fine especially if I get maybe a 7-8 hours sleep on occasion. Sometimes I wake up at 2 or 3am and just get up and on with my day, whereas years a go I would stress about getting back to sleep and think I was going to struggle with my day ahead.

Insomnia is more likely related to stress/obsession than diet.
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2011, 09:24:14 am »
I've had sleep problems. I can function ok on only 2.5 hours sleep and with 4-5 hours sleep I'm fine especially if I get maybe a 7-8 hours sleep on occasion. Sometimes I wake up at 2 or 3am and just get up and on with my day, whereas years a go I would stress about getting back to sleep and think I was going to struggle with my day ahead.

Insomnia is more likely related to stress/obsession than diet.

Unless you drink caffeinated beverages.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2011, 01:17:22 pm »
20, male. nah, he doesn't eat rpd at all haha. I wake up multiple times during the night. Usually fall asleep ok. 

thanks for the suggestions guys

Air dried sausage could have tyramine.  Are you around?  Sleeping better?  I find (raw) red meats (salmon/beef) more up, and (raw) white meats (pork/chicken/scallops) more calming.   

Are you sleeping a short time but refreshed?  Or exhausted?  When I don't eat carbs or dairy (yes getting enough fats), I sleep less hours each night, but more deeply yet very well.

Nuts alone or too often can make insomnia or bad dreams.  Making it into nut formula shortly before bed and eating it a little less often can help keep you well and asleep at night.

Sorry I never got back to this thread before.  I don't often follow a thread.

yeah I only eat high meat in the mornings, I usually have fish and olive oil for dinner or something.

Maybe it was the salmon oil dinner.  Heavier fats work better at sleep-time for me, not fish or olive oil.  EVOO just makes me uncomfortable in temperature and throat.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk