Author Topic: What Exercises Should I Add??  (Read 23032 times)

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
What Exercises Should I Add??
« on: March 06, 2011, 11:42:53 pm »
So right now I am doing the following exercises, to exhaustion:

pull ups
push ups
squats
walking lunges
body row
dips
knee and leg raises (abs)

Anything I should add?  I am aiming to be toned and muscled all around.  I have just begun with weight training.  Thanks!

Offline SkinnyDevil

• Chief
  • "...embrace your fear..."
    • View Profile
    • Skinny Devil Music Lab
Re: What Exercises Should I Add??
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 10:21:39 pm »
Either sit-ups/crunches or some sort of cardio (tabata is mean or you could just do some miles).
-
--
David M. McLean
Skinny Devil Music Lab
http://www.skinnydevil.com

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 04:55:02 am »

morte explaination on spear making exercise
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8pe9StIxcw

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 09:07:49 am »
Either sit-ups/crunches or some sort of cardio (tabata is mean or you could just do some miles).

Thanks.  I do leg raises which exercise my abs just like sit ups.  I don't want to do too much cardio as I think it is harmful if done too much, I don't believe the "more is better" mantra that many fitness experts advise.  But I plan on doing a few minutes of intense cardio every couple of days.  Basically like the tabata but not so planned.  I don't like counting or timing or anything, that seems too OCD for me.  Just push it as hard as I can every time.  Thanks for the suggestions!

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 09:18:27 am »
you should try martial arts

also maybe some of these exercises taht i do will help

Great videos, I especially like the first one, it looks like you are whittling.  Is that correct?  I want to make some spears and practice fishing with them, so hand fashioning them would be like the exercise in the first video.

I cannot really do those nature exercises, I am in the city.  It is all concrete, or parks but they have no boulders or fallen trees.  They look like good exercises though. 

I took martial arts for a year when I was younger and would love to train more.  I cannot afford classes from win an instructor, I can barely afford to eat grass fed meat, but it is important so I scrounge up what I can and make it happen.  Maybe I will train by myself until I can find someone else to spar and train with.  I have watched your videos with punching bags and they made me want to get a bag and go at it.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 11:51:05 am »
I cannot really do those nature exercises, I am in the city.  It is all concrete, or parks but they have no boulders or fallen trees.  They look like good exercises though.

? What about railings, walls, scaffolding etc?? Ever heard of parkour?
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 11:56:42 am »
? What about railings, walls, scaffolding etc?? Ever heard of parkour?

No, what's it about.  I see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parkour

It looks like a lot of wall climbing.  I think I need to survey my surroundings, most of what I see each day is just street and homes, businesses, not a lot of walls, barricades and things to climb.  But if I look maybe I will find something.  You see, Detroit is basically a wasteland.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 12:03:13 pm »
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 12:05:16 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GV9fd-IbvD4

That's by the river.  Where I am there is a freeway and a lot of empty lots.  Cool video though.

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2011, 03:07:25 am »

That was in a city, in a park, not in true nature. Milwaukee is a big city, but has parks. Aren't there parks near you?
And yeah as Miles said, parkour free running.

You don't need classes for martial arts. Would be nice to have an instuctor. Watch some videos oin youtiube on how to do stuff and do it. Simple as that.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 03:17:21 am »
You don't need classes for martial arts. Would be nice to have an instuctor. Watch some videos oin youtiube on how to do stuff and do it. Simple as that.

Yeah and then you can even find people to practice stuff and spar with, for free - in a park, your garage etc.

The important part is practising, learning how to actually use stuff through experimentation, not learning a load of fancy techniques. Much better to be able to do a few simple things well, in a lot of different situations, than know a load of fancy shit you can't even use.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 03:25:53 am by miles »

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2011, 08:03:47 am »
That was in a city, in a park, not in true nature. Milwaukee is a big city, but has parks. Aren't there parks near you?
And yeah as Miles said, parkour free running.

I am gonna do that.  I never liked classes, but I have always had "problems" with authority. 

None of the parks have anything in them.  There is one down the street but the homeless used all the trees for burning fires and one homeless guy who was living in the kid's play structure set it on fire so the city came and bulldozed it.

Offline sarahmiles60

• Forager
    • View Profile
    • Elliptical Trainer Reviews
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2011, 09:12:43 pm »

pull ups
push ups
squats
walking lunges
body row
dips

Anything I should add?  I am aiming to be toned and muscled all around.  I have just begun with weight training.  Thanks!

You can also do elliptical training. This exercise simulates walking and stair climbing. It's a great exercise. But you need your own Elliptical Machines to do it.
Sarah Miles
Elliptical Machines
Best Resource of Info on Elliptical Machines

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2011, 06:25:31 am »
You can also do elliptical training. This exercise simulates walking and stair climbing. It's a great exercise. But you need your own Elliptical Machines to do it.

I will never do elliptical exercises again, or any kind of walking/running on a machine.  I tried the elliptical thing and it was just dumb, boring and really ridiculous (a machine to simulate activities that you can do just by going outside).  I am going to go outside and run around instead.  Thanks though.

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2011, 08:24:16 pm »
I need to do something to exercise my pectoral muscle, but I do not have a weight bench.  What other exercises can I do?

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2011, 10:11:54 pm »
I need to do something to exercise my pectoral muscle, but I do not have a weight bench.  What other exercises can I do?

Dips, Pull Ups, one-arm push-ups.

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2011, 06:50:29 am »
Dips, Pull Ups, one-arm push-ups.

I guess they are getting exercised then.

Offline pioneer

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2011, 11:15:08 am »
Dips, chins, sprints, squats, deadlifts
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke

"There is a lot of pressure to be sexualized but not to actually be sexual."
- women's health member

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2011, 04:26:46 pm »
Dips, chins, sprints, squats, deadlifts

Thanks, I definitely need to do a little running.

Offline pioneer

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2011, 03:48:16 am »
Just make sure you do sprints and not much of the endurance running. Take a look at a sprinter vs a marathoner, which would you rather look like? Sprints are way better for muscle and fat loss.
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke

- women's health member

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2011, 07:10:05 pm »
Just make sure you do sprints and not much of the endurance running. Take a look at a sprinter vs a marathoner, which would you rather look like? Sprints are way better for muscle and fat loss.

I know, I try to tell long-distance runners/joggers that they are just wearing their heart out (if not other muscles too) and they think I'm crazy.  It's the whole more is better mentality at work.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2011, 10:47:37 pm »
I know, I try to tell long-distance runners/joggers that they are just wearing their heart out (if not other muscles too) and they think I'm crazy.  It's the whole more is better mentality at work.

You are crazy.

Offline pioneer

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2011, 11:05:41 pm »
You are crazy.

Actually he is not, not trying to get into an argument here, but it was proven by physiologists that the heart gets no benefit after 27 minutes of cardio work. Anything after that increases arterial inflammation. Why do you think so many marathoners drop dead from heart attacks? We'll this was already looked into, and researchers found that they had as much arterial inflammation as your average 50 year old potato chip eating idiot.

- women's health member

Offline HIT_it_RAW

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2011, 07:43:03 pm »

pull ups
push ups
squats
walking lunges
body row
dips

You should aim for the most productive exercises that stimulate the largest muscular mass. Try doing the exercises in the order off muscular size. Those exercises that hit the biggest muscular mass should be trained first as they give the greatest stimulus for growth/improvement. A good exercise protocol should look somewhat like this

Full Squats ass to the grass
Heavy partial squats or leg presses
Calf raises
Pullovers/pulldowns
Dips
Bent over rows
Standing presses
Deadlifts
(Biceps curl)
(Triceps dumbbell)

1 set each to failure 2 x a week. Try hitting failure between the 8-12th rep. Doing very high reps 15+ moves the exercise into the aerobic realm and stimulates little growth/size.

These exercises hit all large muscular structures very hard and stimulate large scale strength/size increases throughout the body.

Being toned just means being lean&muscular so keep calories&carbs down to stay lean. Sprinting is another full body high intensity exercise you can use but don’t overdo it because that will slow down growth.
“A man should be able to build a house, butcher a hog, tan the hide,
preserve the meat, deliver a baby, nurture the sick and reassure the dying, fight a war … specialization is for insects.”

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk