Author Topic: College food problems  (Read 11731 times)

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
College food problems
« on: March 08, 2011, 11:50:14 am »
So I'm going to college next year and just visited campus to check it out. Their meals were surprisingly paleo friendly but other than raw fruit there is no raw food I can eat. No fridge/freezer and no stores to get raw grass-fed beef or even regular beef for that matter. Anyone have any advice? I'm not even 100% raw but I feel like this is going to be a major turn backwards in terms of health.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
Re: College food problems
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 11:55:54 am »
Can you get a small refrigerator in your dorm?
Can your folks send you meat by packages and you store them in the refrigerator?
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline Löwenherz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 08:46:24 pm »
So I'm going to college next year and just visited campus to check it out. Their meals were surprisingly paleo friendly but other than raw fruit there is no raw food I can eat. No fridge/freezer and no stores to get raw grass-fed beef or even regular beef for that matter. Anyone have any advice? I'm not even 100% raw but I feel like this is going to be a major turn backwards in terms of health.

Sorry, I can't give you really helpful advices (other than to buy a fridge and order some generous amounts of grass fed meat). The social aspect of living truely healthy can sometimes be a little bit challenging especially at your age because young people can be apparently healthy on 100% junk food.

To be honest I would cancel the idea to go to a college... the whole society and most of the ideas there are based on sugary junk food and meat from diseased animals. Nobody realizes the far reaching adverse impact of bad foods on our brain and behaviour. I wished I had the knowledge about health and a raw paleo diet when I was 18. I would have gone directly to farming business without all the useless bullshit I have learned while stying at a university and eating pasta.

Löwenherz
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 09:01:24 pm by TylerDurden »

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 01:02:58 am »
Sorry, I can't give you really helpful advices (other than to buy a fridge and order some generous amounts of grass fed meat). The social aspect of living truely healthy can sometimes be a little bit challenging especially at your age because young people can be apparently healthy on 100% junk food.

To be honest I would cancel the idea to go to a college... the whole society and most of the ideas there are based on sugary junk food and meat from diseased animals. Nobody realizes the far reaching adverse impact of bad foods on our brain and behaviour. I wished I had the knowledge about health and a raw paleo diet when I was 18. I would have gone directly to farming business without all the useless bullshit I have learned while stying at a university and eating pasta.

Löwenherz

Yah the quitting college thing is a no go. As much as I would love not to go to college it is going to happen.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline riy freeman

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 02:34:06 am »
The reasoning for not going to college is probably the most ridiculous i have ever heard

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 02:52:05 am »
The reasoning for not going to college is probably the most ridiculous i have ever heard
Agreed. I know a lot of raw fooders are against it and most of their reasoning is bull sh!t.

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 03:24:27 am »
it is not the most ridiculous.
it depends on one's goals.  while college education is beneficial for most people, for some it is a complete waste of time and money. i know few people who went to college, they did not get anything out of it, they simply wasted their time and money.

Offline Sitting Coyote

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 05:43:50 am »
I agree with ys.  I am just finishing up a PhD, so I've been through college and graduate school.  If you don't have a clear set of goals in mind, you will waste a lot of time and money going to college.  You also have to have at least a sense of what skills you want, what role you want to play in your community (worker bee vs. entrepreneur) and choose schools that can give you the type of skills and mentoring you feel will be helpful for you.  I always encourage people to work for at least a couple years after high school and get involved in the community to get a sense for what the real world is like before they go to college.  This will teach you about what it means to grow up and become a productive member of society, so you won't treat college like an expense-paid (or debt-financed) drunken free-for-all.

I see so many college students, particularly undergraduate students, who wander aimlessly through college programs only to walk off the stage with a BS or BA in whatever, are still barely literate, have no useful skills and a s@!tload of student loan debt to pay off.  They are forced to take menial, low-paying jobs to keep up with their loan payments, and just seem miserable. 

And you don't want to do another four years worth of damage to your body because your school can't or won't provide decent food.  You are young and the damage won't show up now, but in 10 years it will start to.  Then it will be a relentless scourge and you will curse yourself for not having eaten well sooner.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 06:08:19 am »
FYI, my younger brother lived in a college dorm during the first year of his college life (out of town college) and he became gravely ill because we were health stupid during those times (living on fastfood and junk food).  That was when his psoriasis first flared up immensely.  My parents had to move him to the local college branch.

But you are well informed so you will make better food and living choices.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 09:06:44 am »
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2011, 09:44:05 am »
Agreed. I know a lot of raw fooders are against it and most of their reasoning is bull sh!t.

It is perfectly fine if you are looking to do someone else's dirty work.  Most college grads are slaves to some boss, bureaucrat or company.  You don't learn a thing about what people in the real world want in their exchanges with others--value.  In fact you don't learn much of anything that you can't learn outside of school.  It is a racket, which is my reason for discontinuing my "education."  Of course, I value learning itself more that being inducted into the elite of academia and their corrupt attempts to control the population.

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 12:18:35 pm »
I think the middle ground..and where kurite and gosu are correct, is its pretty silly for people to make widespread generalizations that some individual that they don't know anything about should or should not go somewhere or do something. This ultimately is just as foolish to assume everyone benefits from such systems.

Education is not just about learning facts figures and landing a job. Theoretically its about self betterment (usually a Renaissance idea of being 'well rounded') and a huge part of that is just learning how to socialize and be part of a group and having a variety of experiences that exist apart from the same facts and figures. In high-school you learn all kinds of things one never remembers but expending energy studying such things leads to understanding and better comprehension in general. Just because one can upturn some of those conventions with new 'knowledge' does not make such things useless. If one has a good base of understanding and is exposed to a variety of peoples' perspectives, then one is in a way better position to go against the grain and do something else or question things.

If one has a heavy skepticism, then it has to go hand in hand with a very grounded and secure life or its not going to be very usefull. The most truly tuned in and aware people you'll meet are probably warming their hands under a bridge somewhere.

In a practical sense, you certainly can make your own education even at a not so great school. One can also avoid the higher priced schools or get scholarships.

Theres plenty of things one can pursue in college that clearly do not lead to any kind of profitable pursuit and that is nothing new. What is new is that many people even succeeding in higher education in typical fields might not be insured jobs of any related kind, so in a sense it makes even more sense to pursue the kinds of things one can't learn in books or off the internet. Its possible that people can self-direct this, but I think if most people are honest about where their head was when they were 17-18..odds are their self-direction wouldn't lead in a very good direction without some sense of a structure of some kind.

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2011, 07:39:05 pm »
I think the middle ground..and where kurite and gosu are correct, is its pretty silly for people to make widespread generalizations that some individual that they don't know anything about should or should not go somewhere or do something. This ultimately is just as foolish to assume everyone benefits from such systems.

Education is not just about learning facts figures and landing a job. Theoretically its about self betterment (usually a Renaissance idea of being 'well rounded') and a huge part of that is just learning how to socialize and be part of a group and having a variety of experiences that exist apart from the same facts and figures. In high-school you learn all kinds of things one never remembers but expending energy studying such things leads to understanding and better comprehension in general. Just because one can upturn some of those conventions with new 'knowledge' does not make such things useless. If one has a good base of understanding and is exposed to a variety of peoples' perspectives, then one is in a way better position to go against the grain and do something else or question things.

My problem is not education or learning, but the politicization of education and learning.  There is absolutely no reason for the current system of higher learning other than to foster obedience to authority.  I could learn anything outside of an institution and put what I learn to use in a profession, helping others or making products that people want.  The institution exists to control who gets to be an authority.  They are just gate keepers and I reject their system of control.

Theres plenty of things one can pursue in college that clearly do not lead to any kind of profitable pursuit and that is nothing new. What is new is that many people even succeeding in higher education in typical fields might not be insured jobs of any related kind, so in a sense it makes even more sense to pursue the kinds of things one can't learn in books or off the internet. Its possible that people can self-direct this, but I think if most people are honest about where their head was when they were 17-18..odds are their self-direction wouldn't lead in a very good direction without some sense of a structure of some kind.

Self-directed or not, learning outside of institutions controlled by authorities (government) is superior.  I don't dispute the importance of mentors, teachers and coaches.  What has corrupted the institutions is this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/US_Department_of_Education

Since established institutions have a buddy in government to strong-arm schools and the population into accepting their system of accreditation and oversight, individuals have little choice with respect to their education.  Accredited schools are like banks, just an extension of the government.

If learning is your passion and you have learned to learn, you can expand your mind by reading or using sites such as:

http://www.khanacademy.org

http://ocw.mit.edu/index.htm

Offline riy freeman

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2011, 10:59:19 pm »
I believe what your main problem is applies more to compulsory education than in making decision a to go to university.

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2011, 07:25:11 am »
I believe what your main problem is applies more to compulsory education than in making decision a to go to university.

College is little different than K-12 compulsory education. 

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2011, 07:52:19 am »
Looking back from my POV in Manila:

- college should be used to gain connections, networking, bonding

- I took up engineering and that seems to be immune from political crap because we handle reality, if our education was mis-education, machines and industries wouldn't run.

- I theorize this is why I was able to break out of the common medical mindset because none of their theories and methods were working for me and my family. They score a big fat ZERO.  Which caused me to rethink everything.  Which led me to be a real healer.  And raw paleo diet.  Theory is quaint.  But it has to work in practice, on real people, in the real world.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 07:57:22 am by goodsamaritan »

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2011, 08:44:29 am »
Looking back from my POV in Manila:

- college should be used to gain connections, networking, bonding

Doesn't this happen in the real world?  Why is college necessary for networking, et cetera??

- I took up engineering and that seems to be immune from political crap because we handle reality, if our education was mis-education, machines and industries wouldn't run.

- I theorize this is why I was able to break out of the common medical mindset because none of their theories and methods were working for me and my family. They score a big fat ZERO.  Which caused me to rethink everything.  Which led me to be a real healer.  And raw paleo diet.  Theory is quaint.  But it has to work in practice, on real people, in the real world.

I would not say engineering is immune, it is still embedded in the institution, which decides who becomes an engineer.  Now that is all fine so far as everyone is free to choose their occupation, where to go to school and so on.  But the taint begins with government loans and funding of higher education, grants for research, including money from the military-industrial complex, and so on. 

You are right however that engineering in itself is free from BS when you have a free market and the concomitant competition.

Offline riy freeman

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2011, 09:36:05 am »
I have a hard time believing that some dude who goes on Khan Academy for the "love of learning" and "expanding the mind", and forsakes serious study at an institution where you are directly competing with other people, is going to amount to a person who is going to accomplish something good for society.

Hippies often are very smart and have an "expanded perspective" but they just sit around grumbling about the innate unfairness in the structure of society and accomplish nothing.

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2011, 09:56:27 am »
I have a hard time believing that some dude who goes on Khan Academy for the "love of learning" and "expanding the mind", and forsakes serious study at an institution where you are directly competing with other people, is going to amount to a person who is going to accomplish something good for society.

Hippies often are very smart and have an "expanded perspective" but they just sit around grumbling about the innate unfairness in the structure of society and accomplish nothing.

Thank you for sharing your beliefs.  You must know a lot of hippies.  I don't have the pleasure of knowing any. 

And I am serious about study.

In the real world we are all competing, in case you weren't aware.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2011, 10:49:38 am »

Too much under the sway of 'The Man', he is. Much anger there is in him. Too much pride in his qualifications.

Clear, your mind must be if you are to discover the real villains behind the plot.
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline riy freeman

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2011, 11:05:24 am »
rofl miles, rofl

Offline pioneer

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2011, 12:36:07 pm »
Hey, I am a sophmore in college and for the past year I have been eating raw foods most of the time. This is what I do: I have a fridge in my dorm room and just buy beef and store it in my fridge. I take out a couple of pounds of beef and fat at a time then leave it on my desk in my room to let it get to room temperature. My room mate is grossed out but I just say f**k off. THen I eat my food. THats it. I just waste my meal plan money. I know it sucks, but until we get apartments, we are SOL in terms of money. Id say spend your money on your raw meat, it is worth it. Get a job, that is what I did. Jobs also open up a lot of doors for you in the future.
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke

"There is a lot of pressure to be sexualized but not to actually be sexual."
- women's health member

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2011, 06:49:55 pm »
Too much under the sway of 'The Man', he is. Much anger there is in him. Too much pride in his qualifications.

Clear, your mind must be if you are to discover the real villains behind the plot.

You mistake confidence for pride, and assertiveness for anger.

gosu44's responses have evaded the topic and the questions I posed, and turned rhetorical:

"I believe what your main problem is ..."  (directing the discussion at me rather than addressing the issue being discussed)

and here:

"I have a hard time believing that some dude who goes on Khan Academy for the "love of learning" and "expanding the mind", and forsakes serious study at an institution where you are directly competing with other people, is going to amount to a person who is going to accomplish something good for society."  (this is a strawman argument)

"Hippies often are very smart and have an "expanded perspective" but they just sit around grumbling about the innate unfairness in the structure of society and accomplish nothing." (again, either a strawman argument or indirectly calling me a hippie--vague)

I am sensing cognitive dissonance, but I will let it drop since gosu44 does not seem interested in discussion anyhow.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk