Author Topic: Why do people & dogs stick tongues out when winded?  (Read 5568 times)

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
Why do people & dogs stick tongues out when winded?
« on: March 08, 2011, 06:23:30 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXpvsAYyiLY&feature=player_embedded

"[Dog] Exhaustion is characterized by lethargy and also the tongue, if it is hanging out to the side, they are OK, but if it is hanging out very far to the front, they need rest. The further out the tongue hangs the more tired your dog is." Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_long_can_a_dog_run_per_hour#ixzz1Fwuk628n

-->"I think the open mouth and extended tongue help with air intake or aerodynamics ... Or at least it looks cute."--the photo taker

"when running I find it easier to control my breathing if i run with my tongue out and to the side.  Sounds (and looks) a bit silly but this controls how much air i try to GASP in." (http://www.google.com/url?q=http://community.active.com/thread/118071%3Bjsessionid%3DB7A471C5AEA580DCEF48173135B0BEEF.node0&sa=U&ei=G0B1TbulL4KBlAeShqVV&ved=0CCIQFjAH&sig2=QVsShV3zhbLOSntbt2eGCA&usg=AFQjCNF7d54nvETFBNj3hMvQCxA3bAlhlw)

I suspect that these people are on to something, because I seem to get more oxygen intake while running with my tongue out. The more winded I am, the farther my tongue goes out. I have no idea why having the tongue out would help with oxygen intake, though. It's puzzling.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Why do people & dogs stick tongues out when winded?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 09:18:32 pm »
Duh -[ , the answer to this question turned out to be so obvious I should have figured it out more quickly. I noticed that the tongue flattens when it is stuck out. The further out it's stuck, the flatter it gets, thus freeing more space in the throat, allowing more air to flow through and improving oxygenation.

I wonder if the coach of that Olympic runner told him to stick his tongue out for a little added advantage? If so, brilliant stuff!

One source said that huskies tend to stick their tongues out more than most dogs because they have fewer sweat glands than most breeds and the tongue also serves as a cooling device in dogs (which you'll notice on real hot days where dogs will have their tongues lolling out even if they haven't been running). I'll bet the improved air flow also plays a role, though, as huskies also have to run while pulling sledges and it's generally rather cold in the Arctic, so cooling is less of a need.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline Löwenherz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 09:33:43 pm »
I don't do this. :)

Löwenherz

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 09:46:22 pm »
Right, it's a tiny minority of people who do it while they run, though I've noticed that many do it at the end of a really exhausting run, when they're really winded, with their heads down, which partly hides it. Enough people and animals do it when severely winded that I realized that there could be physiology behind it. Maybe the title should have been "Why do some people...," but I'm less interested in the precise details of who does what than I am in the underlying physiology and performance. I was curious why at least some people and apparently all dogs do it--what performance factor or other factor is behind it--and I think there may be an advantage to it, as it does appear to improve airflow. Most folks wait until the end of the race to gasp for breath with their heads down and tongue sometimes protruded, but that runner above doesn't wait and puts his tongue out, opening up the airflow, early on. It would be interesting to learn if he does it for performance, whether consciously or uncsciously, and to compare his performance with tongue out vs. in.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 09:58:11 pm by PaleoPhil »

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 01:19:54 am »
IMO in humans its just a habit. We unlike other animals have major sweating to cool us down. I'm not saying it's not a possibility just unlikely.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 02:29:01 am by TylerDurden »
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 04:20:12 am »
I've done it but only at the end of a run but more like the Haka thing.. Same how I like of bound a bit when I'm stopping, and stare at people like I'm teh apex predat0r.

I think that guy's probably doing the same, just showing off and feeling badass. Seems pretty dangerous doing that for long though when you're actually running. I bit my tongue in half jumping between court-yard benches when I was younger because I couldn't keep my tongue in my mouth >.>

Otherwise panting is a method of cooling, and is the main method for most non-human mammals.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 04:28:46 am by miles »
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 06:40:33 am »
IMO in humans its just a habbit. We unlike other animals have major sweating to cool us down. I'm not sayin its not a possibility just unlikely.
OK, thanks. In humans I suspect it has more to do with opening up the throat to allow more air through than with staying cool. Humans tend to stick their tongue out when thoroughly winded, rather than when hot, although I have seen some people make a tongue-out gesture (usually accompanied by a hand swipe across the forehead) when it's hot, so I suppose I can't eliminate the possibility that putting the tongue out could have a small cooling effect in humans. Like you said, humans have much less need for a cooling effect than canines because we have lots of sweat glands. My curiosity is much more in the improved airflow and the potential this theoretically could have for athletic performance.

I've done it but only at the end of a run but more like the Haka thing..
Yes, that's the most common time that I've seen people do it, including myself. Up to now I've only done it during a particularly strenous run, such as an intense sprint or uphill run. I don't remember doing it in the past, so I'm not sure why I'm doing that nowadays, but maybe I just never noticed that I was doing it. Maybe I'm getting old and need more oxygen--except that my oxygen saturation levels have consistently measured as 98-99%, which is excellent.

Same how I like of bound a bit when I'm stopping, and stare at people like I'm teh apex predat0r.
;D I've noticed that since I've been eating a lot of meat that I find myself being less self-conscious about looking directly and confidently at people and that other people tend to look away first now, whereas I tended to in the past. Maybe we do become more like predators when we eat lots of meat. :D

I think that guy's probably doing the same, just showing off and feeling badass.
My guess is that he probably doesn't know why he started doing it, but that it improves his air intake nonetheless.

Seems pretty dangerous doing that for long though when you're actually running. I bit my tongue in half jumping between court-yard benches when I was younger because I couldn't keep my tongue in my mouth >.>
Wow, that's too bad. I used to be concerned that Michael Jordan would bite off his tongue when he did slam dunks with his tongue out. I would think there would be much more risk when jumping like you and MJ did than when sprinting on a smooth, flat racing track.

MJ reportedly picked up the tongue-out habit subconsciously from seeing his father do it, and his father apparently did it when he was concentrating on a task. Oxygen reportedly improves concentration and mental task performance (http://iopscience.iop.org/0967-3334/28/4/005/pdf/pm7_4_005.pdf), so it's fun to speculate that MJ's father might have picked up the tongue-out habit because it was reinforced by the slightly improved mental functioning he got from it.

Also, you don't have to put much of the tongue out beyond the teeth to get some of the benefit. Even just putting the tip of the tongue out to the lips flattens it some. The tip can be quickly and easily retracted such a short distance before jumping, so risk is minimized, and anyone who's super concerned about what people might think can also thus get some oxygen-intake benefit discreetly.

Otherwise panting is a method of cooling, and is the main method for most non-human mammals.
Right, and as mentioned above, that's not the main method for humans because of our plentiful sweat glands.

Offline achillezzz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 12:24:42 am »
I do it all the times when I do suicides on basketball court.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPL487ToJt8

I saw a program on national geographic where they explain this...

Human skin can sweat so it can constantly cool itself in nature but dogs dont so they usually stop and put their tongues out to get cooled this is one of the main reasons we human are the best runners on earth!!!!!!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk