Author Topic: High meat indoors  (Read 4627 times)

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
High meat indoors
« on: March 12, 2011, 01:18:16 am »
I have acquired a mini drinks cooler - like a little fridge that runs on a fan. It's too expensive and noisy to run, but was thinking of using it for high meat.

Thought I'd run the plan by you guys in case I've missed something..

Put meat in a jar in a plastic bag. Place into mini drink cooler. Put it in my bay window with the window ajar and inside door closed so stink can get out.

To air high meat, step inside bay window and close door. Wipe cooler clean to remove fly eggs if present. Open window wide and Air meat. Let stink out of window. Go back out and close door. Repeat every couple of days.

Any thoughts?

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
Re: High meat indoors
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 01:53:28 am »
    That's kind of what I do if I'm staying at someone's house for a couple of days.  I would imagine you should keep that cooler at the lowest setting possible.  That would probably be a little warmer than a fridge and just perfect then for high-meat.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 02:31:02 am »
I was planning to not plug the cooler in, just use it as a sealed box. It's got a ridiculous power rating, just a cheap piece of crap I got free.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 04:07:08 am »
    I have almost a cup's worth of poultry high-meat in a quart glass jar right now in a non electrical cooler with ice packs I change out.  I need to eat some now, but I don't know where to go to do it.  Any idea?  I would hate to have to eat my food in the bathroom, and don't know if I want to eat it in public in front of people.  I could let it ferment longer, but my body says it needs it now.  I guess I'll take a long walk with it and find somewhere.  The bedroom I'm keeping it and myself in seems to be making this whole place cold.  That's just the way it is.  It's incredibly drafty.  I've been airing it out indoors.  Maybe I should eat it in the room later.  

Why do they get to eat in the dining room?  I could try to eat it there too, but I don't feel like explaining if asked, today at least.  Sorry about talking to myself here.  Maybe I will eat in in the dr.  Give em a chance to clear up their colds.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline MaximilianKohler

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 12:21:32 pm »
you can leave an open box of baking soda in the cooler and it'll absorb all the smell.

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 03:42:47 pm »
I've put the cooler in the window, bit of baking soda inside and it seems to be going ok so far. It smells a bit but is mostly contained in the window. We'll see when the gases really get going though, and when the weather gets warmer. I might need ice packs. Bit of a faff but probably worth it for high meat.

RawZi, what I did was go in the window, cut a cube and down it, then pack up and go out. I don't know if you could do something similar.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 01:50:42 am »
    I sneaked a (dull) knife and a plate into the bedroom where the cooler is yesterday.  I quietly cut it up.  It was more like 11 oz.  I ate it all as quick as I could, without being missed, and sneaked the plate and knife back out and cleaned them/dried/put away.  The knife was actually missed.  Who would think?

I felt warmed up all through my body after eating about 60% of it.  My health has felt a lot better since.

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
My high meat jar got warm in the sun yesterday...
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, 04:27:41 pm »
My high meat jar got warm in the sun yesterday...

Should I eat it?

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 10:37:59 pm »
I ate it. If I die, you can have my high meat collection.

Offline MaximilianKohler

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 02:28:35 am »
lol

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk