Author Topic: Whole Sea Bass - Where to start?  (Read 3171 times)

Offline Isthmus

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
Whole Sea Bass - Where to start?
« on: March 12, 2011, 01:55:11 am »
Hey guys,

I got a whole sea bass here. Where do I start? What bits are good to eat? Stomach and intestines I should discard. Are the organs good to eat?

I am a major rookie here! All the help you can offer on where to go with a whole fish will be super appreciated.

Peace,
Sam

Edit: It being a relatively small fish would you bother with any of the innards or not?

Edit Edit: What about bones? :D
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 02:11:12 am by Isthmus »

Offline Isthmus

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Whole Sea Bass - Where to start?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 03:10:15 am »
Hey,

Before I bombard you with more questions, which must seem pretty stupid to you guys. Maybe one day I'll be wised up and be able to come here and laugh at newbies asking the same old stupid questions ;) If I am honest I was having a little bit of a hard time with the raw venison and calf liver. But just eating some raw sea bass a minute ago has totally reinvigorated my passion for raw meat - man that was delicious! It had all the taste like cooked fish, but with extra subtleties and a real freshness: fantastic!

Now for some more questions:

#1 Any good tips on scaling the fish? It has those transparent scales on the outside which are really inedible huh?
#2 I found the skin really tough, too tough for me to eat. What you got to say about that?
#3 The bones were super sharp! I was worried about eating one and it poking a hole in me somewhere :)
#4 I have some clams, they look like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Clams.JPG
They good to eat raw? One or two of them are open. Those should be chucked yes?

Many thanks again,
Sam

« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 04:18:53 am by Isthmus »

Offline FoxWoman

• Trapper
    • View Profile
Re: Whole Sea Bass - Where to start?
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 06:31:46 am »
Hey guys,

I got a whole sea bass here. Where do I start? What bits are good to eat?

I would prepare a sashimi-style meal - scale and filet the fish, and then cut the filets into neat bite-size pieces (for "presentation" :)  ). Arrange some edible flowers around (OK, jk). Enjoy!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk