Author Topic: Raw Bison vs Raw Grass-fed Beef  (Read 15124 times)

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
Raw Bison vs Raw Grass-fed Beef
« on: March 14, 2011, 08:46:21 pm »
So, I just tried some ground bison for the first time, right now.  It's not bad, though I think I probably prefer the taste of beef, but this bison is alright.

But  I'm wondering if there's any health/nutritional benefits of bison vs beef.. and I only mean grass-fed beef.  I can get ground bison at the store just down the street from my house, and I can get ground 100% grass-fed beef from the trader joe's which is quite a bit farther from my house.  (I can't find any non-ground bison, and the only non-ground grass-fed beef is twice as far away and 4 times as expensive, and tastes like hay)  The only thing is that I have no idea if the bison is grass-fed or not, all the package says is that it's minimally processed and has no added hormones, so I'm not positive about the quality of the meat, but the location of the store that sells it is extremely convenient. 

So I'm wondering if I should try eating more of this bison, since it's easier to get than the beef, but the thing is that I know the beef is labeled 100% grass-fed while I don't know about the bison.. the bison doesn't even say organic on it, while the beef does.  Should I try going with the bison since it's easier to get?  Or try to stick with the beef that I know more for sure is organic and grass-fed?  if the bison happens to be grain-fed, is it any better than grain-fed beef?
Hi, I'm 32, around 5'4" and ~124lb, no real significant health problems other than hyperventilating when running/exercising (that my doc said was because of the smog/asthma), fatigue, and really bad acne.
I'd preferably be a carnivore/very low carb, but I have had a very hard time finding grass-fed or even organic fats, organs, and marrow. I consume raw dairy, but I do not eat much vegetables.. however, I do love fruit.
I live with my dad, so I also have to sneak any raw meat eating.

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Raw Bison vs Raw Grass-fed Beef
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 09:19:35 pm »
ask the people at the store who they order it from, contact those folks........
eatwild.org may have some ranches near you that sell what you are looking for to stores in your area, or if you can find a local meat processor/distributor you can often get meat/information
you have to ask the people that are actually supplying your meat, not random folks in other states and countries!         

often times if you order through the processor or rancher you do not pay the market mark up or can buy in bulk and all different types of cuts....
i really enjoy bison...i think its sweet and very satisfying...i am also in colorado where they are numerous...
elk is another animal i really appreciate, they are very nourishing and protein rich!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the meat is also rather sweet to me

i would not suggest buying meat from trader joes, regardless of the labels!!!!!!!!!!! they often sell really old meat that they have further processed, also their grass feed comes from multiple animals and farms, that is gross!!!! (they also add things like salt and rosemary to their ground poultry, sure it "enhances flavor" but i also think it is necessary to cover up the rancidity, both salt and rosemary are antimicrobial....i doubt what grows in those packages with the little sponge tampon thing can be considered beneficial!")i have only shopped there on occassion and while i appreciate their prices i would rather eat less and higher quality and search around a bit to support a rancher who i know :)

Offline Sitting Coyote

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 11:11:48 pm »
Most wild game raised on ranches in the US, including bison, is either grain-fed or at least fed grain as a supplement.  I also suspect that if you saw how those animals were reared you'd have no interest in eating them.  I have visited several 'wild game' ranches, and they're basically like outdoor CAFOs.

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 06:30:19 am »
Well the only other place I could find with grass-fed meat is too far away for me to go often enough to buy enough meat that will last me everyday, plus it's more expensive, and it tastes like hay.  And there's hardly any ranches/farms around where I live.. I can't order online because then my dad might find out I'm eating raw meat and kick me out of the house.  So the bison is probably no good?  I'm just trying to decide which will be better for my health-wise, the ground bison or the ground grass-fed beef.. since those are pretty much my only choices right now.
Hi, I'm 32, around 5'4" and ~124lb, no real significant health problems other than hyperventilating when running/exercising (that my doc said was because of the smog/asthma), fatigue, and really bad acne.
I'd preferably be a carnivore/very low carb, but I have had a very hard time finding grass-fed or even organic fats, organs, and marrow. I consume raw dairy, but I do not eat much vegetables.. however, I do love fruit.

Offline FoxWoman

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 07:56:24 am »
I eat a lot of bison meat, which is readily available in Alberta where I live. I know that here bison are free-range and mostly grass-fed (yet fed grains and hey in the winter when we have no grass due to cold climate) and completely free from hormones & other crap (so-called "naturally raised"). It costs more than "naturally-raised" beef and I do like the taste better, and bison also adds variety to the diet. Since I prefer to buy my meats always fresh and shop in a local supermarket, I do not really care about buying everything strictly "grass-fed" or "organic", but go for the healthiest choice available.

Offline laterade

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 09:11:28 am »
Bison is superior IMO.
More natural of an animal.
Tastes better too.

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 09:49:14 am »
for some reason i did much better with bison then beef, but now that i have my health back they are both just fine. 

but, when i was doing better with bison over beef.. this was even when i could only get grain-finished bison, and i was doing better with that for some reason even over the grass-fed beef that was easily available. 

i still tend toward bison.  i like the taste better, and i agree with actup90.

Offline CHK91

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 11:47:47 am »
Another +1 for bison.  ;D

It is more flavorful than beef, and I feel my best on it. If it is grain fed bison though, get the beef instead.
All I want is the truth... Just gimme some truth.
"I wanna be the minority."

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011, 11:57:36 am »
right, most bison are going to be fed some grain unless specified otherwise and have a trusted grass-finished labeling. Slankers sells 100% grass-fed bison but I think it tastes crappier than the stuff at WF. Don't get the cube steaks! heh heh.

The WF bison has no trace of intramuscular fat and is basically a lean pink mass of tasty natural animal. not the be all end all of comparison..but grass-fed beef or lamb has sometimes much more fat in the muscle.  So if these animals are being fattened up on grains..I don't exactly get a sense of that like I do in other more intensively grain-finished animals. Even being fed some grain..I'd agree with what I believe others are saying in comparison to ground-beef supposedly fed 100% grass. If someone has a direct supply to a farm where they can get their beef fresh and unfrozen or have a sensitivity to even the slightest bit of grain..I guess that would be different story. I would still include the bison in my diet personally.

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2011, 12:50:29 am »
Well the bison is probably grain-fed since it doesn't say grass-fed on it.  And there's no whole foods near me and I can't order online either.

But as far as fat, I'm actually lacking enough fat in my diet and would rather have a meat with a high fat content than not.

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2011, 12:55:21 am »
hey wolf, you'd have to check, but maybe ordering online and in bulk is cheaper?... maybe tell dad it's cheaper and grass-fed?... he doesn't have to know you're eating raw. idk, just an idea.

Offline Rawhanna

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2011, 10:30:21 pm »
I'm fortunate enough to have found a rancher with a herd of Bison that he sells at the farmers market and at Whole Foods.  Chances are you can track these folks down and ask them exactly what they feed their herd.  My guy here uses alfalfa pellets as a supplement and to attract them when they're our on pasture, for harvest.  It just depends and it's best to know your source--even drive out to the ranch and check 'em out.

Also, it's better for us that we prefer the fatty over the lean, as those are usually the cheapest cuts.  Bison tenderloin sells for ~$30 / lb here!  The least I can pay for cheaper cuts, stew meat and london broil, is $7.99/lb, so the best deal is buying the entire brisket, which is fatty and makes great jerky at only $5.99 / lb.

You never know until you know.  So go know who you're dealing with is helpful, or just stop caring and enjoy.  Sometimes ignorance is bliss as long as you're in the ballpark.

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2011, 12:58:25 am »
Well the bison is probably grain-fed since it doesn't say grass-fed on it.  And there's no whole foods near me and I can't order online either.

But as far as fat, I'm actually lacking enough fat in my diet and would rather have a meat with a high fat content than not.

sure, I was speaking to previous conversations which have tried to compare partially grain finished animals as closer to feed-lot beef than grass-finished. Since the buffalo I buy seems to have no trace of intramuscular fat (may not prove something is fed grains but is usually more present in grain fed animals) I have to assume the muscle retains alot of its integrity. To me, being a much more natural animal fed some portion of grain for a very short period is superior to feed-lot or 'organic' and 'vegetable' fed animals for sure, but also a diet strictly of grass-fed beef products.

as for getting fat from grain-fed animals as a regular staple in lieu of just lean sources...thats kind of a disputed area. IICR theres been a number of conversations about this for you before and I think it really would be wise to just change your circumstances.. I tend to be relaxed on some of this stuff but I personally would not eat alot of grain-fed animal fats regularly.

[err..edit: would not]
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 01:18:07 am by KD »

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2011, 04:22:17 am »
Well the bison is probably grain-fed since it doesn't say grass-fed on it. 

I was searching for something else, and this quote caught my eye.

I used to live down the street from a bison ranch, where it was explained that bison (buffalo) MUST graze... they stress and die or fail to thrive if fed any other way. You can check with other sources on this, but I believe it because I have always seen bison being pasture-fed only.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2011, 04:35:55 am »
i believe you're right eveheart. buffalo cannot be treated with antibiotics, hormones, etc. and graze.  but there are a lot of grain finished (3 months) buffalo out there :(

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2011, 08:51:29 am »
i believe you're right eveheart. buffalo cannot be treated with antibiotics, hormones, etc. and graze.  but there are a lot of grain finished (3 months) buffalo out there :(

I stand corrected, and thank you! I just had a talk with the butcher at WF about "finishing" buffalo with grain and Yes, indeed! his buffalo is grain-fed (finished).
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk