Author Topic: Magnetic's Journal  (Read 38195 times)

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
Re: Magnetic's Journal
« Reply #75 on: August 20, 2011, 07:55:06 pm »
I started drinking Perrier this morning. Here is the mineral composition I found online (http://mineralwaters.org/index.php?func=disp&parval=1953) and the amount per 750mL bottle, as well as a comparison to Ferrarelle:

Acidity (pH): 5.46
Total Dissolved Solids: 475 mg/L = 356mg/750mL
Calcium: 147.3 mg/L = 110.5 mg/750mL >> Perrier has less than 1/3 as much
Magnesium: 3.4 mg/L = 2.6 mg/750mL >> Perrier has about 1/7 as much
Sodium: 9 mg/L = 6.75 mg/750mL >> none listed for Ferrarelle
Potassium: 0.6 mg/L = 0.45 mg/750mL >> Ferrarelle has about 115 times as much
Bicarbonate: 390 mg/L = 293 mg/750mL >> Ferrarelle has almost 5 times as much, it is much fizzier
Chloride: 21.5 mg/L = 16.1 mg/750mL >> only 20% less than Ferrarelle
Sulphate: 33 mg/L = 25 mg/750mL >> 11 times more than Ferrarelle
Fluoride: 0.12 mg/L = 0.09 mg/750mL >> Ferrarelle has about 10 times as much
Nitrate: 18 mg/L =13.5 mg/750mL >> Perrier has about 2.5 times more

After drinking a bottle of Perrier, I can say I definitely prefer Ferrarelle. I have a case of Perrier so I will be drinking it for the next 3-4 days. Maybe I will acquire a taste for it.

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 20, 2011, 08:11:25 pm »
One thing that stands out about Perrier is the relatively high levels of sulfate and nitrate. There seem to be conflicting studies regarding whether nitrate is healthful or harmful at certain levels. For instance:

Can nitrate affect adults?

Although red blood cells quickly return to normal, some health conditions can make people more susceptible to health problems from nitrate. Individuals with the following health conditions should not drink water with more than 10 mg/L of nitrate:

* Individuals who don’t have enough stomach acids.
    * Individuals with an inherited lack of the enzyme that converts affected red blood cells back to normal (methemoglobin reductase).
    * Women who are pregnant or trying to become pregnant. High nitrate levels may increase the risk of spontaneous abortion or certain birth defects.
(http://www.doh.wa.gov/ehp/dw/Programs/nitrate.htm)

For half a century, inorganic nitrate has been associated with negative health effects, but more recently, evidence of the contrary has mounted. In the 1990s, a research group at Karolinska Institutet demonstrated how the body can convert nitrate to NO, a molecule involved in many important bodily functions, such as blood pressure regulation, the immune defence and cell metabolism. These compounds can ameliorate mitochondrial dysfunction related diseases, The results, which are published in Cell Metabolism, are of sports-physiological interest, as they show that nitrate reduces oxygen consumption during physical exercise; however, they are also of potential significance to diseases involving mitochondrial dysfunction, such as diabetes and cardiovascular disease. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrate#Human_health_effects)

For sulphate...

Adverse effects have been noted in individuals whose drinking water source contains high levels of inorganic sulfate. Osmotic diarrhea resulting from unabsorbed sulfate has been described and may be of particular concern in infants consuming fluids derived from water sources with high levels of sulfate. Some association between increased hydrogen sulfide production and risk of ulcerative colitis has been noted as well, but has not been adequately evaluated. Overall, there is insufficient information available to set a Tolerable Upper Intake Level for sulfate. (http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=10925&page=424)

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 21, 2011, 08:43:26 am »
Today, my meal consisted of 1 lb. ground beef, 4 oz. buffalo liver, 7.5 oz. beef marrow fat, all raw.

That's 124g protein, 240g fat and 4.4g carbohydrate. 2684 calories, 81% fat, 19% protein, less than 1% carbs. KR=2.72

I also drank 3 750mL bottles of mineral water throughout the day. And I took 1 tsp. of Himalayan sea salt in the morning.

I am now out of my regular grass-fed beef and marrow bones. The only animal fat I have access to is raw grass-fed butter and pastured pig lard, so maybe I will try those. I get more marrow bones on Thursday next week.

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 22, 2011, 07:16:17 am »
I had a BM last night after my meal, same as usual. I also had one tonight after my meal, though this one was diarrhea-like. It only lasted a short time and was not too painful. I am not sure what caused it. Perhaps it was those eggs that I ate? Everything else has been beef until the buffalo liver I ate yesterday.

Today, my meal consisted of 13 ounces ground buffalo, 6 oz. buffalo liver, and 1 chicken egg, all raw. I also had a tiny bit of lard left over from my cooked-paleo transition to raw paleo a month ago. It was less than an ounce, about a spoonful or 1/2 ounce, I would say.

That's 114g protein, 51.3g fat and 7.1g carbohydrate. 956 calories, 48% fat, 49% protein, 3% carbs. KR=1.26

I also drank 3 750mL bottles of mineral water throughout the day. And I took 1 tsp. of Himalayan sea salt.

This is a departure from what I have been eating, but now that I am out of marrow I will have to rely on my body's store of fat for a little while. The calorie intake is low, but if my body is adapted to burning fat, it should be able to easily switch to using my belly fat that I have stored. I have a few extra pounds on my belly from eating so much marrow, now I will find out if my body is ready to use it. I am relying on mostly protein to take care of hunger.

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 23, 2011, 06:30:36 am »
Today, my meal consisted of 14 ounces ground buffalo, 3 oz. buffalo liver, and 2 chicken eggs, all raw.

That's 109g protein, 41.3g fat and 4.2g carbohydrate. 829 calories, 45% fat, 53% protein, 2% carbs. KR=1.22

I also drank 3 750mL bottles of mineral water throughout the day. And I took 1 tsp. of Himalayan sea salt.

What I found surprising was that I was not hungry all day, not until my meal time. I ate around 5:30pm yesterday and just after 6pm today, so my small meal yesterday was enough to keep hunger at bay. I suppose my body is using its fat stores. Today's meal was also small. I finished the buffalo and free-range chicken eggs, next on the menu will be pastured ground pork and pork liver.

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 23, 2011, 07:00:17 pm »
Here is a picture of my rotting gums. I have no picture to show recent improvements, but my girlfriend tells me that the pink area has expanded, the dark red areas above the teeth used to go much higher but have receded. The brown decay on the teeth used to extend several times further down on the teeth. She looked at my teeth closely back in January, before I started any kind of paleo diet and was still eating a high carb, processed food diet.

I am hoping for improvements and I will continue posting pictures as time goes on.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 07:05:50 pm by magnetic »

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 24, 2011, 07:51:41 am »
Today, my meal consisted of 16 ounces ground pork and 3.5 oz. pork liver, both raw.

That's 97.3g protein, 99.4g fat and 2.4g carbohydrate. 1320 calories, 68% fat, 31% protein, 1% carbs. KR=1.95

Again I was not hungry all day, not until my meal time. I ate just after 6pm yesterday and around 7:30pm today. I liked the ground pork but not the pork liver. It tasted okay, like beef liver but milder. But the texture was rubbery. Beef liver is moist and slimy in comparison.

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 25, 2011, 10:32:42 am »
Today, my meal consisted of 21 ounces of raw keta/chum salmon.

That's 118g protein, 22.2g fat and 0g carbohydrate. 706 calories, 28% fat, 72% protein, 0% carbs. KR=1.05

Again I was not hungry all day, not until my meal time. I ate just after 7:30pm yesterday and around 10pm today. I wasn't excited about pork, I think I will give it away to my friends or the cat. The cat loves the liver so getting rid of that will be easy.

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 26, 2011, 09:22:15 am »
I have been on my current diet for about a month now and I seem to be doing great.

Today I got more marrow bones. I could not get beef kidneys so I got pork kidneys. I did not mind them as much as the pork liver, but I don't like them too much either. I like ruminants much more.

For my meal I ate 3 ounces of pork kidney and 3 ounces of high-fat ground beef, and 9 ounces of marrow fat. I am going to eat adequate protein, high fat for awhile and see how I feel. My meal had 0 carbs, 235g fat and 45.3g protein, 2304 calories and KR=4.67.

With so much fat and such limited protein, my diet will be much more ketogenic. I want to stay on this for the next 2 months, at which time I will have been on an all-animal food diet for 3 months. I plan on going to a doctor and getting some tests done at that time.

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 27, 2011, 06:16:55 am »
Today, my meal consisted of 6 ounces high fat ground beef (78/22) and 8 ounced beef marrow, both raw.

That's 44g protein, 225g fat and 0g carbohydrate. 2211 calories, 92% fat, 8% protein, 0% carbs. KR=4.64

I also drank 4 750mL bottles of mineral water throughout the day. And I took 1 tsp. of Himalayan sea salt.

I am still craving carbs, completely apart from hunger. The strongest cravings are for fruit and dairy. It is strange, maybe there is something else my body needs. I want to stay eating 100% animal foods until I get my physical in November though, just to see where the numbers are at on this diet.

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 27, 2011, 08:47:42 am »
I have been drinking San Pellegrino for the past 4 days, I like it much better than Perrier, which has a bitter aftertaste. pH is 5.2. Here is the mineral content:

Calcium: 178mg/L
Sodium: 34.9mg/L
Potassium: 3.3mg/L
Fluoride: 0.56mg/L
Magnesium: 50.4mg/L
Bicarbonate: 194mg/L
Nitrate: 0.64mg/L
Chloride: 55.4mg/L
Copper: not detected
Sulfate: 439 mg/L
Arsenic: 0.0031
Lead: not detected
TDS: 864

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 27, 2011, 09:25:56 am »
WOW! I thought Evian(which I've been drinking now for the last few weeks) was high at 80mg calcium/L. How does that San Pellegrino stuff taste? The taste of Evian is very smooth, kind of sweet and has something of the taste of milk in it, very nice.
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 27, 2011, 06:45:56 pm »
WOW! I thought Evian(which I've been drinking now for the last few weeks) was high at 80mg calcium/L. How does that San Pellegrino stuff taste? The taste of Evian is very smooth, kind of sweet and has something of the taste of milk in it, very nice.

Pellegrino is sweet and sharp, but not as sharp as Ferrarelle, which I like better. The sharpness comes from the carbonation. Give it a try, it is easy to find. Ferrarelle is a bit harder to locate, my supplier is having trouble reordering it.

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 27, 2011, 06:50:30 pm »
I had a BM this morning, 5 1/2 days since the last one. This isn't surprising given my much lower fat intake. It was very dark brown, very heavy and concentrated. Still, no trouble passing it. If you look back, I had no bowel movements since my last high fat meal. The most fat in any meal since 5 1/2 days ago was 100g, and most meals had much lower fat intake. Last night's meal was high in fat.

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 28, 2011, 07:00:29 am »
Today, my meal consisted of 8 ounces high fat ground beef (78/22) and 6.5 ounced beef marrow, both raw.

That's 50.8g protein, 200g fat and 0g carbohydrate. 2019 calories, 89% fat, 11% protein, 0% carbs. KR=? (I'm not at my computer with the spreadsheet I normall use to calculate this)

I was really weak all day, I think it must be due to my diet being more ketogenic, with the lower protein intake. I also experienced the other symptoms besides muscle soreness: shortness of breath and the "fake" headache. I increased my protein intake a bit today to see if it helps alleviate the symptoms.

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 28, 2011, 06:39:55 pm »
Okay, KR for my last meal was 4.11.

I had a BM this morning shortly after waking. It was gray and clay-like in appearance and consistency, a type 4 on the BSS, and it passed easily. I am not sure what accounts for this change. Maybe this was the pork that I ate? Maybe pork just looks different coming out than beef? I would like to get some activated charcoal so I can time stuff going in and coming out, and to help some friends who have constipation issues. I think I shall buy some.

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 29, 2011, 07:41:51 am »
Today, my meal consisted of 8 ounces high fat ground beef (78/22) and 7 ounced beef marrow, both raw.

That's 51.8g protein, 212g fat and 0g carbohydrate. 2130 calories, 90% fat, 10% protein, 0% carbs. KR=4.19

I had more energy today, I think I am meeting my protein needs.

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 30, 2011, 07:37:22 am »
I did not eat anything today.

I drank 3 750mL bottles of mineral water throughout the day.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #93 on: December 31, 2011, 12:40:29 am »
With so much fat and such limited protein, my diet will be much more ketogenic. I want to stay on this for the next 2 months, at which time I will have been on an all-animal food diet for 3 months. I plan on going to a doctor and getting some tests done at that time.
I am still craving carbs, completely apart from hunger. The strongest cravings are for fruit and dairy. It is strange, maybe there is something else my body needs. I want to stay eating 100% animal foods until I get my physical in November though, just to see where the numbers are at on this diet.

What's going on? Can you try to get your salt from meat?  I think there's salt in the blood and kidneys, not to mention ocean fish.  Do you eat brain or other unfrozen fats? Any poultry? What kind of high meats if any?
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 31, 2011, 09:07:04 pm »
What's going on? Can you try to get your salt from meat?  I think there's salt in the blood and kidneys, not to mention ocean fish.  Do you eat brain or other unfrozen fats? Any poultry? What kind of high meats if any?

I reintroduced carbs into my diet, then switched to a different diet. I am eating vegetarian w/ raw animal products, a yoga or sattvic diet. I find myself unable to stomach raw flesh foods. So I am currently eating:

Raw Dairy: limited to raw grass-fed milk, yogurt, butter, ghee and cream. I do not eat any other dairy. No cheese, sour cream, kefir, etc.

Cooked vegetables: a combination of organic vegetables, typically a root vegetable and a green leafy vegetable or brassica. I have been eating lots of beets, swiss chard, collard greens, sweet potato, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, etc. I do not eat any garlic or onion, or other pungent vegetables.

I am not eating fruit or honey as it is winter here in the northern hemisphere and I am of (predominately) Northern European descent.

This is my diet 99% of the time. I use little or no spices, and no salt. I drink nothing but spring water.

Most of my protein is raw animal protein from grass-fed animals, since I do not eat legumes, grains or nuts. My Omega-3 to Omega-6 ratio is 1:1, since all of my fat also comes from grass-fed animals and vegetables. I have been tracking what I eat for the past few months on Cronometer. Nutritionally, the diet is excellent and balanced, and I feel as healthy as I did eating RZC.

Eating 100% raw grass-fed flesh foods was very therapeutic and did wonders to restore insulin sensitivity and overall balance to my digestive system, but I am not interested in eating that way long-term.

I could never get brains or testicles, though I wanted to try them. I made some high meat in the past.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk