Author Topic: Dietary and Lifestyle Changes to Promote Deep Sleep  (Read 5189 times)

Offline zeno

• Elder
    • View Profile
Dietary and Lifestyle Changes to Promote Deep Sleep
« on: December 13, 2011, 11:42:42 pm »
I've been dealing with insomnia irregularly for about five years. Cutting out cooked foods and creating a good rhythm have helped dramatically in sleeping soundly.

On this forum I've heard that vitamin D supplementation has helped others in sleeping more soundly. Are there any other changes in diet or lifestyle that anyone can recommend for a dramatic difference in sleep?

Often, I'll wake up in the middle of the night to urinate or defecate even though I don't eat or drink several hours before sleeping. I think I'm going to experiment by eating only while the sun is out to see if there is any effect.

I also tend to go to bed while my mind is still active which keeps me from relaxing and falling into a deep slumber.

CitrusHigh

Re: Dietary and Lifestyle Changes to Promote Deep Sleep
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 11:47:39 pm »
Do you meditate at all and/or control your breathing before bed?

If your mind is super active, you need to learn to control it. Being able to summon a quiet mind at will is one of the most valuable tools for equanimity.

Personally, a sense meditation a la Jon Young is what works best for me. Traditional meditation isn't as reliable or rather is not as swift and effective as sense meditation. It works by getting you to focus on all of your senses leaving little room for left brain linear thought. This also has spiritual implications because awareness awakens certain spiritual forces that lie dormant when the linear mind of our modern civilization is given free reign.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 12:49:17 am »
You could try melatonin supplements. They really work well, but you have to avoid taking them regularly as, after a time, they stop working for you as the body starts reducing its own melatonin output to compensate.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline zeno

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 02:38:26 am »
Personally, a sense meditation a la Jon Young is what works best for me.

Where can I learn more about sense meditation?

CitrusHigh

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 02:56:37 am »
You can just skip to the end, but I suggest you read the whole deal...

http://www.strategicliving.org/KamanaFE2Sample.pdf

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 04:01:28 am »
Are there any other changes in diet or lifestyle that anyone can recommend for a dramatic difference in sleep?

Keep it dark when you are sleeping.  If you do get up at night, keep the lights out.  Light messes up your circadian rhythms.

Get some exercise during the day. 

Don't use the internet, video games,  or TV right before bed.

There are a couple of yoga postures that are very good for relaxing.  Cow face pose, including the lower-body portion of the pose, is very useful.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk