Author Topic: High meat from prefrozen meat?  (Read 18232 times)

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: High meat from prefrozen meat?
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2011, 10:22:04 am »
I think AV may have started using jars as a way to make high meat without bugs, perhaps it is the aversion to insects that is the main issue.

My open air rotted meat does get dry on the out side , but on the interior there is the development of some of the tastiest and most biological active high meat I have made. Perhaps methods could be developed to keep it in high humidity so that it can rot more completely.

There may not be any method to the "madness" of current prevalent rotten meat techniques. It breaks down just as well in the open air as it does in properly aired jars, as long as the chunk is large enough that the crust over the surface locks in the moisture. The only issue with meat that its exposed to the open air is ;" it will get maggots", and I think that Bugs were the reason for beginnings of Jar high meat. Trust me its not for the taste, my open air high meat taste so much better than any jar high meat I have ever made.

no offence man, but is this something you heard AV or anyone else ever say?

"There are approximately 17 stages of bacterial developments. Airing the meat is required to progress the bacteria through the stages....."
-aajonous

i don't know what defines or constitutes a better product, i'm saying if you you are talkign about creation of 'high meat' you are talking about something more specific than ageing and decay. fruit will turn alcholic pretty quick left out of the fridge or exposed to sun, so will meats. The point of the container seems to be to cultivate something in a container instead of it moving freely in the surrounding environment, identical to any other cultureing, fermentation and lab stuff. obviously meats have different bacteria than vegetation and much of this is unknown, but we know with certainly that you can't ferment vegetation healthfully or at all in some cases without it being in a container.

http://www.rawpaleoforum.com/display-your-culinary-creations/high-meat-recipe-preparation-for-more-advanced-rafers/msg22344/#msg22344

more indepth discussion here of course for people who havn't read it.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2011, 04:16:25 pm »
 I may have heard or read someone say that the propose in making high meat in jars is to keep it away from bugs as well as to keep it from stinking up your house.

Such details are really a side note, please forgive me for making assumptions.( when you make an assumption you make an ass out of you and umption) ???

I never read AVs books personally, but I thought his first experience with high meat came from the Inuit, so I assume it wasn't rotted in jars, and  also assumed that he began making it in jars more out of convenience than for its superior quality, and perhaps to keep bugs off or to keep it from drying out.

All I am saying is, If you use a 5 pound chunk and age it in a cool moist place, then it has the potential to turn out better in taste and overall quality quality than jar meat.( of course no one can really argue these matters of taste) All I am suggesting is that for other high meat connoisseurs to give my method a try, if they are wanting to experience the deliciousness I speak of, for themselves

The point is that I have been making and using high meat for over a year now and I am putting my word out, that I believe open air high meat has superior qualities to it than the jar made high meat. Its freaking delicious the way it gets a crust of dry meat on the outside with the inside turning rotten, and the maggots are a bonus in my opinion. The taste is superior and has a richness that's impossible to describe.

It may not be as potent as some completely composted Jar meat but the taste is so much better that I can eat a larger amount and get the same effect.

I used a 5 pound chunk of meat and kept it in my shed for about 2 months during average temperatures ranging from 40 to 60 degrees. The humidity was also fairly high.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 04:29:39 pm by sabertooth »
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2011, 11:32:48 pm »
Right, but its not like some esoteric mystery. You can actually read about the inuit or other cultures that ferment meat and look at the processes of ageing meat and those of traditional open air drying and the obvious differences. There's been a few discussions on this site and at dirtycarnivore that include other traditional peoples and their methods. Some dry meat out of the reach of animals, some specifically ferment meat in containers.

a container doesn't have to be a jar. often traditional peoples burried it in the ground and other such places that wouldn't be removed necessarily from insects but regulate oxygen in some capacity. This is what they do with tubers and other such foods or other plant alcohols that equally DO break down sitting in a room, just not as particularly useful food or medicine.

basically when you say "open air high meat" your are talking about aging meat in a room with higher surface area and at a higher and more variable temperature than traditonal dry aged beef hung on hooks. ageing meat tends to have alot of support behind taste and positive attributes for people with digestive issues but that doesn't mean its for the same reasons as proper fermentation. It wasn't uncommon prior to refrigeration to have meat lockers and meat sheds etc and to air dry meat and sausages for long periods of time. I don't think this is the same as culturing bacteria in an enclosed and regulated environment.

The inuits probably had not a huge insect problem and weren't too concerned with smell for that matter and like many people outside of civilization had all kinds of things sitting around 'rotting' in some capacity as well as the meats they specifically prepared and fermented.

---
the issue is the idea that this isn't actually meat decaying in the wild. particularly if someone is using a jar..being outside the fridge is probably super risky particulary if one doesn't know what its supposed to smell or taste like. Some of the ideas i've read just seem scary and seem like weird excuses so their parents they live with don't see it or something..its petty wacked. I could probably buy some expired cut meat from the store (which yes, actually is bad for you), put it in a plastic bag and pin it to a clothesline or something and within days it would probably smell and look ranker than anything one would typically eat, but there is huge dismissal of wisdom as well as common sense to do that.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 11:36:42 pm by TylerDurden »

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2011, 09:29:44 am »

This is my chunk of meat before me and the maggots started eating on it. I still claim that this is the best tasting stuff ever. It's basically meat aged at higher temperatures. I have already eaten half of this chunk of semi rotted meat and I feel as good as ever. I just don't see any risk to doing it this way, based on my personal experience.

Side note, this meat was started a couple of months ago back when it did get below freezing at night so it did actually freeze solid and thaw out on several different occasions, before it finally got warm enough to rot more completely and harbor maggots
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Offline zeno

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2011, 08:32:58 pm »
After buying much too liver at once, the warm, high desert air and plethora of flies got to it; the liver began to decompose at a rapid pace and the meat became infested quickly.

Following sabertooth's lead, I'm going to experiment with maggot infested high meat and see if I can dig it or not.

I'll be taking small bits of the liver at my liking hence forward.

Offline FRANCIS HOWARD BOND

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2015, 06:29:19 pm »
QUOTE:
sabertooth
Mammoth Hunter

View Profile  Email  Personal Message (Offline)

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 02:08:33 PM »
I like open air high meat, the only problem is that in the spring time the maggots take over. And yet perhaps the maggots help speed up the process, I am still new to using maggot meat, but it seems to work just as good as regular high meat. Its kind of weird n especially if you get a maggot crawling back up your throat. but so far no negative effects.

REPLY:
Must be best way with high meat as 'maggots help speed up process', also enhance flavor and add to nutrient quality.   Flies provide all this benefit free, and should therefore be welcomed on our meat, fish and poultry rather than excluded from it as so many choose to do!    Well worth trying and enjoying!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk