Author Topic: Monitors  (Read 2082 times)

Offline MoonStalkeR

• Warrior
    • View Profile
Monitors
« on: May 03, 2011, 08:53:13 am »
Since building this new PC 3 months ago, I was limited to this old Dell E176FP LCD from a purchase made around 7 years ago, and it's not very friendly on the eyes. The previous computer I used was a Vaio all-in-one with a 22" screen, it was considerably more comfortable than the other monitors I used.

Recently I bought a Samsung 23" LED-backlit monitor http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-PX2370-23-Inch-Widescreen-Backlight/dp/B003HFG6S0/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top and it was terrifying. No matter how it was calibrated, the brightness was excessive and I couldn't look at it for more than a few seconds without eye-burning, so I returned it. The plus is that it could double for use in a tanning booth.

Currently I am looking for a monitor that I can spend extended periods of time looking at, preferably 22" or larger. I would like one with a 16:10 aspect ratio (1680x1050, 1920x1200), but nearly all the modern monitors are too wide and have little vertical space. This type of setup is uncomfortable to use, but I may have to deal with the 16:9 panel fascism and just stick to a 1920x1080 monitor, or settle for a 19" 16:10 monitor. If you have experiences with monitors, please share which one is best for sensitive eyes.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Monitors
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 10:02:10 pm »
You mean that even with adjusting the preferences on the screen output it was still too strong? Wow maybe I'll keep my iMac for as long as possible as I am not a big fan of bright screens.

Probably not useful to you but the new Apple iMac 24 & 27" screens are not bad, although I prefer my older generation ones with the softer screen.

The newer ones are shiny and reflect light but they are much less of an energy hog @ around 35% less juice.
Cheers
Al

Offline MoonStalkeR

• Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Monitors
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 04:48:59 am »
Yes, it was excessively bright no matter the calibration, as well as generally uncomfortable for eyes.

The iMac screens look decent (albeit 16:9), and I had better experience with glossy monitors compared to matte ones. I already have a PC and use windows so an iMac won't be of much use to me. Thanks for sharing, however.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk