Raw Paleo Diet Forums > General Discussion

Sickness vs. Detox

(1/2) > >>

Squall:
I've read a lot on these forums about "detox" which sounds an awful lot like being sick, having a cold, getting a bug, etc. I remember AV talking about this in his books as well. In fact that was my first exposure to that perspective. It made more sense to me, too. Traditional viral theory never sat well with me. Plus I never got sick whenever other people did, and vice versa.

It all comes down to causes and effects. So which do you guys believe: virus populations in the body cause disease, or disease in the body result in virus populations?

The first argument paints the virus as an aggressor against the body. To use AV's terms, the second paints the virus as a "demolition crew". One is harmful. The other helpful. Interesting how it all turns on the simple observation that virus appears when disease appears. But to you guys: which one causes which? I find this a fascinating subject ...

TylerDurden:
I suspect that the truth lies somewhere inbetween. I mean wild animals on healthy diets can get diseases which kill many members of a herd. On the other hand, it's well-known that children of farmers get sick much less than children in urban environments. The author and former vet, James Herriott, noted that the healthiest children in the Yorkshire Dales were the children of the man at the slaughterhouse despite(LOL!) the fact that they regularly played with the rotting innards/guts of the animals their father slaughtered.

rawrock2:

--- Quote ---So which do you guys believe: virus populations in the body cause disease, or disease in the body result in virus populations?
--- End quote ---

I'm not sure that it matters.  The solution begins and ends with food.

Satya:

--- Quote from: TylerDurden on September 17, 2008, 04:48:21 pm ---I suspect that the truth lies somewhere in between. I mean wild animals on healthy diets can get diseases which kill many members of a herd. On the other hand, it's well-known that children of farmers get sick much less than children in urban environments. The author and former vet, James Herriott, noted that the healthiest children in the Yorkshire Dales were the children of the man at the slaughterhouse despite(LOL!) the fact that they regularly played with the rotting innards/guts of the animals their father slaughtered.

--- End quote ---

I totally agree.  Look at the Native Americans who were wiped out by small pox, yet they were a hell of a lot healthier than the European conquerors.  It works both ways.  I think positing that some pathogens are somehow helpful is fantasy.  That said, we civilized folk tend to be pathogen paranoid.  I like the middle path.

William:

--- Quote from: Satya on September 18, 2008, 12:43:27 am ---I totally agree.  Look at the Native Americans who were wiped out by small pox, yet they were a hell of a lot healthier than the European conquerors.  It works both ways.  I think positing that some pathogens are somehow helpful is fantasy.  That said, we civilized folk tend to be pathogen paranoid.  I like the middle path.

--- End quote ---

Maybe not all of them were wiped out - maybe just the corn-eaters?
Those who lived in the northern parts of what is now Canada could not grow corn, likewise the Inuit.

If you google Kouchakoff  you can see reports of his work that showed that eating cooked food causes changes in the blood that are characteristic of consuming a pathogen. So cooked-food eaters are just used to being a little sick. All the time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version