Author Topic: Is Swiss Appenzeller cheese really raw?  (Read 2980 times)

Offline macgeek2005

• Forager
    • View Profile
Is Swiss Appenzeller cheese really raw?
« on: December 04, 2011, 01:51:59 pm »
I was looking through the cheese section at Whole Foods recently, looking for raw cheeses, and came across Appenzeller, which said "Raw full fat cows milk" in the ingredients, which sounded great. So I bought it, and it was the most delicious thing I've ever eaten in my life.

My question, obviously, is, is it really raw? Or is there heat involved in the making of it, even though the milk is "unpasteurized"?

Offline balancing-act

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Is Swiss Appenzeller cheese really raw?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 08:16:46 pm »
We just had this conversation in the "goats cheese vs. cow's cheese" thread. I've never even heard of Appenzeller, though, so I personally can't help you. I will say that I've noticed a clear difference in the positive from quitting dairy recently- that's just me, though.
Interested in deep political matters? www.rigorousintuition.ca

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 11:06:10 am »
Appenzeller is heavenly. But I'm afraid to tell you that no matter what it says on the label, the only way to know if no heat was used or not is to call the manufacturer.

Raw milk means that it was not pasteurized before production but it might very well have been heated during production. Ingredients: raw milk, means that, just an ingredient. 

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 11:40:55 am »
Generally Appenzeller is a cooked-curd cheese.  So, no, not raw.  Any hard cheese is probably cooked, unless you know otherwise, directly from the cheesemaker.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk