Author Topic: Should we be grooming and climbing/navigating in 3d?  (Read 2278 times)

Offline Modern Primate

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Should we be grooming and climbing/navigating in 3d?
« on: August 04, 2011, 11:52:15 am »

We know that when you take key things away from a humans natural environment, that terrible developmental and psychological issues can occur. For example, children who have been utterly neglected sometimes just sit in the same space and rock back and forth, it's horrible.

Another example is that mice, when deprived of any sort of stimulating environment at all, lose a lot of brain function and cells, only for them to dramatically grow back a while after being exposed to a feature-rich environment. We know that if an eye isn't used early in life it never develops properly, just disintegrates. We know if we don't use muscles they eventually atrophy irreversibly. Could the same sort of thing be happening to parts of our brain/hormones/physiology from not being exposed to these things? Even our ears for example, are highly used when we try to balance.  

We need contact with others. We need time to relax. We need dignity and respect. We really like to watch others and read about other so-called "important" people in the news. For the most part, these things our ancestors did have been passed down.

But what about grooming and climbing/navigating in 3d? Are we neglecting these fundamental aspects to our psychology?

I wish I could find a grooming partner, but I'm sure most people would think I'm nuts for even suggesting such a thing. l)

What about climbing and tree navigation also? What about the large area of our brain devoted to climbing and being extremely careful in trees? I think you could make an extremely strong argument that this type of immense judgement and coordination required for navigating them without falling and breaking your neck had a huge influence in making primates so intelligent.

Sometimes when I play certain fast videogames with multiple platforms/levels, I like to think I'm playing in a 3d environment. :P But perhaps that is nonsense when compared to *actually* manouvering a 3d environment.

I would like to "re-awaken" these instincts within me. Baby baboons are known to fear snakes just by pure instinct. If I saw a lion and I was on a tree, would pure instinct take/help me up the nearest tree? I read before about a primatologist experience such a situation, where it was not just him and his companions that fled up the tree, but a whole group of baboons also. In fact one baboon calls the others to alert them, I wonder if a human could make such a call also to the baboons to warn them. There is something about that incident I find intriguing. Just a few primates, altogether looking down on the danger below.

But if you think about it, we went from being in a 3d environment almost all the time, to basically never being in a truly multi-levelled 3d environment, apart from using stairs or something.  

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Should we be grooming and climbing/navigating in 3d?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 12:12:21 pm »
I wish I could find a grooming partner, but I'm sure most people would think I'm nuts for even suggesting such a thing. l)

There are some 21st Century grooming activities. When you think about it, spa treatments are forms of grooming. These can be performed within a family. At least, this is true in California.

For instance,  I like back scrubs, so my grooming partner is my adult daughter. Perhaps if you put the right words to it, you can find a grooming partner without sounding too weird or too primitive.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 02:51:22 am »
How do you know that we have part of our brains devoted to climbing?

Offline Modern Primate

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 05:11:39 am »
How do you know that we have part of our brains devoted to climbing?

I don't know for sure, but there are parts of our brain located to different tasks. Searching google there is a part for balance, which could be left only partially developed/active if we never use it for climbing and fine balancing.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 06:47:29 am »
I always felt at home in a tree, and love climbing around like a monkey. When I was a reckless and wild drifter I would climb water towers, bridges and fire escapes just for fun. I would even camp out on rooftops.

My job has me running up and down ladders, using scaffolding and scaling obstacles all the time.

When I had long hair I would have my granny braid it, I wish my wife was more into grooming me, but it seems she just wants to scratch and claw at me.

I navigate all of central Kentucky when I travel from job to job. Every job is different and I always find some problem task to solve.

So there would be no way I would want to live a life without those instinctual activities.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 07:23:25 am by sabertooth »
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk