Author Topic: Survey re: Kombucha, beet kvass  (Read 6217 times)

Offline SoulJourner

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Survey re: Kombucha, beet kvass
« on: May 26, 2011, 02:59:09 am »
I'm curious how Primal Diet adherents feel about kombucha and beet kvass?  I was interested in kombucha because it helps my husband stay away from soda, of course the tea is cooked in the process. Beet kvass is raw, although not as appealing to him in that way. Any other fermented foods that you eat or believe to have some value?

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Survey re: Kombucha, beet kvass
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 04:19:57 am »
water kefir, which is kefir that is made from honey or sugar and water.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 10:49:15 am »
I make kombucha for another family member, who drinks it as a soda alternative. It doesn't fit in with what I define as appropriate foods for me. Kvass and beet kvass usually involve using grains or a culture such as whey, which I do not have or use. I wouldn't go as far as saying something was primal or non-primal for other people, but I do think it's a good idea to have a clear personal definition of what one considers appropriate.

I do eat fermented foods, such as a mild kimchi that I make at home. I only make kimchi from brassicae.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline HIT_it_RAW

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 07:08:00 pm »
I eat both milk and water kefir and have benefited a great deal from it. My digestion is better and more predictable. I often drink milk kefir when I eat meat. It helps it digest. Off course if you are dairy sensitive this might not be a good food for you. However some dairy sensitive people can handle raw milk kefir quite well.

Mead is a honey fermented drink. I am making some right now but so far haven't tried it yet.

I also sometimes make a strained vegetable smoothy with carrot, spinach, lemon juice and honey. This ferment very quickly. I make it in the morning and leave it at room temp. In the afternoon its nice and tangy fermented.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 08:22:12 pm by TylerDurden »
“A man should be able to build a house, butcher a hog, tan the hide,
preserve the meat, deliver a baby, nurture the sick and reassure the dying, fight a war … specialization is for insects.”

Offline SoulJourner

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 10:13:37 pm »
Interesting, never heard of water kefir, can you give the recipe?  I would also like to know how the kimchi is made.

Offline HIT_it_RAW

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 12:51:46 am »
Interesting, never heard of water kefir, can you give the recipe?  I would also like to know how the kimchi is made.
http://users.sa.chariot.net.au/~dna/kefirpage.html
“A man should be able to build a house, butcher a hog, tan the hide,
preserve the meat, deliver a baby, nurture the sick and reassure the dying, fight a war … specialization is for insects.”

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 05:38:04 am »
I would also like to know how the kimchi is made.

There are many (zillions) of kimchi variations, but here is a basic one: http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/easy-kimchi. Mine is similar, but without the squid, and with a minimum of pepper flakes. Other vegetables can be used: daikon radish, bok choy... basically, anything will ferment.

"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 11:57:53 am »
Traditional home-made kombucha is not bubbly like soda. It needs to breath and I make it covered with a cloth - so no carbon build up. It also is not sweet - it is traditionally not drunk until it tastes vinegary and that's how I drink it. 

You use different kinds of kefir grains to make water kefir vs. milk kefir. Some also like to make a coconut water kefir. I make traditional German quark.

I would like to make mead. How did your mead come out Hit it?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk