Author Topic: Reversal of White/grey hairs possible on paleo diet?  (Read 5745 times)

Offline zaidi

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
Reversal of White/grey hairs possible on paleo diet?
« on: July 03, 2011, 03:53:24 pm »
Question 1: Is reversal of White/grey hairs possible one paleo diet? Any one experienced it personally?

At same time, few other short (personal) questions too:

Question 2: In supermarket in Germany, there is meat with label "South American Meat". Is it same as Argentinian meat?

Question 3: At moment due to social and cultural problems I could not go on 100% raw paleo diet most of the times. Therefore the following question as alternative diet:

- "Are fermented Vegetables like German Sauer Kraut  better than using fresh Vegetables?"
- "Can the suet of bad supermarket quality lamb be used for cooking? Or should I use coconut oil for cooking in this case?"
- "In my family, mostly vegetables and Indian lentils are used for cooking and rarely there is meat (and fish is hardly 4-5 times a year). Should I use any vegetable alternative of protein too (like Hemp Seeds)?"
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 02:11:07 am by TylerDurden »

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
Re: Reversal of White hairs possible on paleo diet?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 04:59:59 pm »
Question 1: Is reversal of White hairs possible one paleo diet? Any one experienced it personally?

Mine has got greyer, some people like grey hair. I started going grey as a teenager.

“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Reversal of White/grey hairs possible on paleo diet?
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 11:35:00 pm »
- "Are fermented Vegetables like German Sauer Kraut is better than using fresh Vegetables?"

I eat uncooked fermented vegetables daily. By "uncooked" I mean that the vegetables are not heated in the canning process. Of course, I do not cook them, either. I prefer my own fermented vegetables because I can control how salty they are. My decision to eat fermented vegetables is based on my observation that I feel well when I eat them.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline zaidi

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 06:15:49 am »
I eat uncooked fermented vegetables daily. By "uncooked" I mean that the vegetables are not heated in the canning process. Of course, I do not cook them, either. I prefer my own fermented vegetables because I can control how salty they are. My decision to eat fermented vegetables is based on my observation that I feel well when I eat them.

I have a feeling that fresh vegetables are not suiting to me (at least not at moment).

Would you be kind enough and tell me:

1. Which vegetables do you ferment?

2. What is the process of fermenting the vegetables? (any link for detailed explanation?)

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 08:11:48 am »
1. Which vegetables do you ferment?

I ferment cabbage and other brassica-family vegetables. My favorites are regular sauerkraut and kimchi with napa cabbage or Korean radish. I make fermented beets and other greens a few times a year.

2. What is the process of fermenting the vegetables? (any link for detailed explanation?)

For Korean-style fermentation, I like this one: http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/easy-kimchi. My kimchi does not use oysters, and very little chili flakes, but I do make the "porridge" paste that is shown here. I use that paste for all fermented vegetables in the Korean style.

For traditional sauerkraut, here is a good site: http://www.wildfermentation.com/resources.php?page=sauerkraut.  I have Sandor Ellix Katz's book Wild Fermentation.

I have been fermenting for so many years, and I keep a simple style, using glass jars no larger than one or two liters. When I was growing up, we had to process so much at the end of the summer, it was weeks' work and very tiring. Now, I buy a cabbage or other vegetables any time of year, chop it up, get it into a jar, and I'm done in 20 minutes.

Offline zaidi

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 02:44:25 am »
I ferment cabbage and other brassica-family vegetables. My favorites are regular sauerkraut and kimchi with napa cabbage or Korean radish. I make fermented beets and other greens a few times a year.

For Korean-style fermentation, I like this one: http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/easy-kimchi. My kimchi does not use oysters, and very little chili flakes, but I do make the "porridge" paste that is shown here. I use that paste for all fermented vegetables in the Korean style.

For traditional sauerkraut, here is a good site: http://www.wildfermentation.com/resources.php?page=sauerkraut.  I have Sandor Ellix Katz's book Wild Fermentation.

I have been fermenting for so many years, and I keep a simple style, using glass jars no larger than one or two liters. When I was growing up, we had to process so much at the end of the summer, it was weeks' work and very tiring. Now, I buy a cabbage or other vegetables any time of year, chop it up, get it into a jar, and I'm done in 20 minutes.

Thanks a lot Miss. Your help is really appreciated as due to social/cultural problems I was not able to go for raw meat. But Kimchi seems to solving a lot of problems and I can perhaps hide the raw fish under vegetables of kimchi. Although fish will also ferment along with vegetables, but I think it is ok and fermented fish is also considered Paleo. Please confirm about fermented fish as being Paleo.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 08:21:58 am »
Please confirm about fermented fish as being Paleo.

Well, I don't think that there an official list of what is paleo, but fermentation occurs naturally in the right temperature conditions. As far as I understand, fermenting recipes and procedures merely help get a more consistent result. I find that people don't notice if I eat certain sliced raw food, especially if it is on the same fork with some vegetables. When I eat food in a more primitive style, like eating meat off the bone, I do that in private. Sliced raw fish looks okay because it does not look too raw and bloody, but that would also depend on how closely someone is looking at your food.

Best wishes in finding what is right for you.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk