Author Topic: Tree Ripened Fruits  (Read 9380 times)

Offline Techydude

• Shaman
  • The barefoot raw paleo nudist intactivist naturale
    • View Profile
    • Genital integrity through regenerative medicine
Tree Ripened Fruits
« on: July 08, 2011, 07:45:01 pm »
After searching I hear a lot of mention of how reg fruits aren't very beneficial, and tree ripened fruits are much better. I didn't see a topic dedicated to this either.

Where can I buy tree ripened fruit? Where can I literally like walk up to a tree, bush, etc and pick fruit besides during farm specials, etc.
What are the benefis of tree ripened fruit? I remember someone calling them medicinal.

What are your experiences with Tree Ripened Fruit?

Furthermore, is Ethylene Gas(for ripening) toxic?

Offline cliff

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Tree Ripened Fruits
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 08:22:47 pm »
Tree ripened fruits have more nutrients because they have matured longer, some fruits are pretty inedible unless tree/vine ripened.

You probably won't find any tree ripened fruits commercially for the most part, maybe at the local farmers market if your lucky.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 08:26:16 pm »
I live in a country with tons of fruit.
Tree ripened fruit is super best.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 12:41:14 am »
grow your own fruit trees.. I know I used to eat peaches right off the tree, because our neighbor's tree stretched over our fence.. they were absolutely delicious, although it was a long time ago when I was like 6 or 7 and I was eating a sad diet and I didn't notice if there was any benefits.
Oh yeah, there was also a time that I ate blackberries straight off the bush in my friend's backyard, those were absolutely delicious too.  That was still when I was eating SAD though, so I dunno if they were helpful or not.  all I know is that homegrown fruits eaten right off the tree/bush are a billion times tastier than the store fruits.

But the other day I visited my grandpa, and he had a bunch of little peaches that had fallen off the tree from his neighbor.. and he let me take a bagful of them.  They're delicious, but I only ate two so far (because I forgot I had them) but if I notice any benefits from them I'll be sure to mention it here.

I don't know anything about ripening with ethylene gas except that Food, Inc. said that tomatos are grown halfway around the world, picked when they're green, and ripened with ethylene gas.. and it sounds disgusting, I would not want to eat any fruits ripened in such a way.  Unfortunately I don't think there is any way to tell if your fruit has been ripened with gas or not..
Hi, I'm 32, around 5'4" and ~124lb, no real significant health problems other than hyperventilating when running/exercising (that my doc said was because of the smog/asthma), fatigue, and really bad acne.
I'd preferably be a carnivore/very low carb, but I have had a very hard time finding grass-fed or even organic fats, organs, and marrow. I consume raw dairy, but I do not eat much vegetables.. however, I do love fruit.
I live with my dad, so I also have to sneak any raw meat eating.

Offline Techydude

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 06:13:13 am »
grow your own fruit trees.. I know I used to eat peaches right off the tree, because our neighbor's tree stretched over our fence.. they were absolutely delicious, although it was a long time ago when I was like 6 or 7 and I was eating a sad diet and I didn't notice if there was any benefits.
Oh yeah, there was also a time that I ate blackberries straight off the bush in my friend's backyard, those were absolutely delicious too.  That was still when I was eating SAD though, so I dunno if they were helpful or not.  all I know is that homegrown fruits eaten right off the tree/bush are a billion times tastier than the store fruits.

But the other day I visited my grandpa, and he had a bunch of little peaches that had fallen off the tree from his neighbor.. and he let me take a bagful of them.  They're delicious, but I only ate two so far (because I forgot I had them) but if I notice any benefits from them I'll be sure to mention it here.

I don't know anything about ripening with ethylene gas except that Food, Inc. said that tomatos are grown halfway around the world, picked when they're green, and ripened with ethylene gas.. and it sounds disgusting, I would not want to eat any fruits ripened in such a way.  Unfortunately I don't think there is any way to tell if your fruit has been ripened with gas or not..

Lucky lucky you are :) my grandma would eat peaches off the tree as well as oranges in the south.

Unfortunately I live in the city in  an apartment so I can't grow my own trees :( . I wonder for this thread too if there's a test to tell if a fruit is TRULY tree ripened or if a fruit has been ethylene gas ripened.

Offline cliff

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 07:33:03 am »
I wonder for this thread too if there's a test to tell if a fruit is TRULY tree ripened or if a fruit has been ethylene gas ripened.

The riper a fruit gets naturally the more appealing it looks most the time.  Smell, color and appearance are all good indicators.  Most fruits in a grocery store aren't really worth bothering with except for maybe melons or dates.  If you live where there are farmers markets you will probably have a easy time finding somewhat tree ripened citrus and maybe stone fruit if your lucky(always ask for over-ripe stuff as that's usually the good stuff)

Offline Techydude

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2011, 09:02:07 am »
The riper a fruit gets naturally the more appealing it looks most the time.  Smell, color and appearance are all good indicators.  Most fruits in a grocery store aren't really worth bothering with except for maybe melons or dates.  If you live where there are farmers markets you will probably have a easy time finding somewhat tree ripened citrus and maybe stone fruit if your lucky(always ask for over-ripe stuff as that's usually the good stuff)

Thanks I love overripe fruit! So sweet sometimes slightly an alcoholic taste via it was starting to ferment making it even tastier :)

Offline laterade

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2011, 11:55:31 am »
I had the opportunity a few weeks ago to climb into a tree and pick the final plums. Those plums might have been a bit worn scratched pecked, but they were amazing. Concur with the taste of ethanol, still so much sweeter.

The primary reason why vine/tree ripened are better, I'd imagine, is because you are likely eating them closer to the time they were picked. Much fresher than one that spent a few days on a truck. If they spent that time on ripe fruit there is a good chance it would be "spoiled" by the time it arrived.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2011, 10:49:26 pm »

The primary reason why vine/tree ripened are better, I'd imagine, is because you are likely eating them closer to the time they were picked. Much fresher than one that spent a few days on a truck. If they spent that time on ripe fruit there is a good chance it would be "spoiled" by the time it arrived.

No, the reason why tree/vine-ripened is better is because the Brix and mineral levels get higher and higher, the longer the fruit is on the tree.  It becomes more nutritious, literally.

If the soil is poor, then tree-ripened is still low-quality. 

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2011, 10:59:28 pm »
No, the reason why tree/vine-ripened is better is because the Brix and mineral levels get higher and higher, the longer the fruit is on the tree.  It becomes more nutritious, literally.

So true! Ripening OFF the tree/vine forces the fruit to go into survival mode. This forced ripening is the plant's way of achieving reproductive maturity (producing a viable seed) without the nourishment from the soil to mature. Even though the fruit may look ripe, biologically it is stunted, because it had to use its internal resources to become ripe. This stunting is why the optimal Brix level cannot be achieved in a force-ripened fruit.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2011, 05:59:48 am »
Strangely enough I find that because I cannot get tree-ripened fruit - that frozen organic is often the best. Of course it's better not to freeze - but often the fruit is picked at its peak just before freezing and therefore feels better to my body than the fruits that I can buy in the store.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk