Author Topic: Wild Food Sources  (Read 7156 times)

Offline Techydude

• Shaman
  • The barefoot raw paleo nudist intactivist naturale
    • View Profile
    • Genital integrity through regenerative medicine
Wild Food Sources
« on: July 12, 2011, 03:51:40 pm »
Anyone have online food sources/sellers for:

Wild Plants and Wild Animals/Game

And In addition: The rare food: A source/ seller for Insects

Share your experiences too!

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Wild Food Sources
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 05:54:35 am »
What insects are you looking for? I've raised some. Like anything - you have to think about the fact that you will be eating them and not just feeding them to pets or fishing with them - which is what most of them are raised for in the US and therefore - their diets are geared towards making them inexpensive.

Take for instance eggs - I mean those are raised to be eaten by humans and yet the chickens can be fed a horrendous all GM grain diet and sprayed with petroleum.

Like so many things it might be best to raise them yourself and feed them right.

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
  • country chickens and lambs and wild bugs
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 11:41:09 am »
Wild food sources are the best option for paleo dieters on budget. If you have a land in country side, you will be surprised what you can find there.
bugs or country chickens

Offline Techydude

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 02:39:15 pm »
What insects are you looking for? I've raised some. Like anything - you have to think about the fact that you will be eating them and not just feeding them to pets or fishing with them - which is what most of them are raised for in the US and therefore - their diets are geared towards making them inexpensive.

Take for instance eggs - I mean those are raised to be eaten by humans and yet the chickens can be fed a horrendous all GM grain diet and sprayed with petroleum.

Like so many things it might be best to raise them yourself and feed them right.

What would you have to feed em? For example like uhm, worms/grubs etc. Not sure of anything specific.

And does anyone know of any hunters you can contact via online that sells their catch/game?

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 12:13:15 am »
Read "Stalking the Wild Asparagus". It's all about gathering wild food wherever you live. The author went for a 1/2 hour walk and picked up dinner for his family.
Cheers
Al

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 12:16:21 am »
Lots of maggot culture information if you google raising maggots bait. For example, this one: http://www.crappie.com/crappie/panfish-bream-brim/65273-raising-maggots-w-little-smell-no-mess.html. I never tried this myself.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2011, 12:20:54 am »
I was visiting a store last night where you can get bows and arrows for a very reasonable price.
Cheers
Al

Offline Techydude

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2011, 02:30:59 am »
Lots of maggot culture information if you google raising maggots bait. For example, this one: http://www.crappie.com/crappie/panfish-bream-brim/65273-raising-maggots-w-little-smell-no-mess.html. I never tried this myself.

can't you just like cut a few holes in some raw meat, hang it, and let the flies swarm?

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2011, 04:28:14 am »
can't you just like cut a few holes in some raw meat, hang it, and let the flies swarm?

Yes, of course you can just hang the meat and let the flies swarm, as long as the meat doesn't dry out first. The advantage of some other set-ups is that you can let the maggots reach a full, plump size and drop off the meat into the container. Having them drop into an absorbent medium gets rid of their smelly excrement. You can also just leave the meat on the counter and let the maggots wiggle off when they're big, but then you have the source of their smell, too.

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2011, 07:46:57 am »
Techy - when raising worms and crickets I made sure to feed them organic produce. You put in say a carrot and it provides moisture and food. I put down a base of organic non gmo chicken feed for the mealworms and superworms and gave the crickets organic soil to lay their eggs in.

If you give gmo stuff then you eat gmo whem you eat the bugs. If the maggots are eating meat that has hormones etc. then that is what you are eating.

Maggots are much better than many bugs at getting rid of bacteria and toxins.

If you eat bugs that have been in lawns that have been treated with fungicides and pesticides - not good. You can kill a lizard feeding them these foods - so can't be great for humans either I would think.

Offline wildoscar

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2011, 12:31:36 pm »
And does anyone know of any hunters you can contact via online that sells their catch/game?

Unfortunately, wild game is not permitted to be sold in the USA.  Thanks to the powers that be ( fedzilla ).

The game can be donated/given as a gift, though.

Make friends with a hunter, or take up hunting yourself.

I am a bowhunter 90% of the time.

Good luck.

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2011, 06:31:24 pm »
In some states, selling of wild game is permitted in certain circumstances. Check your local game laws.

Offline FRANCIS HOWARD BOND

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2015, 12:38:47 am »
QUOTE:Offline Techydude
Shaman

The barefoot raw paleo nudist intactivist naturale
View Profile  Genital integrity through regenerative medicine  Email  Personal Message (Offline)

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2011, 02:30:59 AM »
Quote from: eveheart on July 24, 2011, 12:16:21 AM

Report to moderator     Logged
Foreskin Restoration+Regeneration: www.tlctugger.com www.foregen.org
Keep your kids whole: http://www.drmomma.org/2010/01/are-you-fully-informed.html
 Online eveheart
Mammoth Hunter

View Profile  Personal Message (Online)

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2011, 04:28:14 AM »
Quote from: Techydude on July 24, 2011, 02:30:59 AM

Yes, of course you can just hang the meat and let the flies swarm, as long as the meat doesn't dry out first. The advantage of some other set-ups is that you can let the maggots reach a full, plump size and drop off the meat into the container. Having them drop into an absorbent medium gets rid of their smelly excrement. You can also just leave the meat on the counter and let the maggots wiggle off when they're big, but then you have the source of their smell, too.
Report to moderator     Logged
REPLY:
Techy, you seem a born experimenter, and certainly one of our more adventurous Members.   Try hanging a piece of meat or fish and see what attention it gets from flies, encouraging them if you can, and allow it to develop.   Keep it moist though, and you may need to cover it as maggots emerge to keep it from drying.   It should be fairly warm to help the maggots mobility.   They are very agile, and keeping them where you want them is a challenge.   Good luck and hope you enjoy results!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk