Author Topic: Lasik surgery?  (Read 11931 times)

Offline bharminder

• Elder
    • View Profile
Lasik surgery?
« on: July 15, 2011, 12:25:34 pm »
What's the opinion on eye surgery to correct vision?

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Lasik surgery?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 12:43:44 pm »
My optometrist used to work for a lasik surgical group, and he left on ethical grounds. It was his observation that his patients experienced immediate vision improvement that eliminated the need for eyeglasses, BUT, within several years, vision changes occurred, and the patients needed glasses again. After lasik surgery, contact lenses cannot be worn. He felt that he was compromising his integrity by representing that lasik was a permanent solution for eyeglasses. After seeing less-than-long-term results, he wanted to stop recommending this surgery.

He told me this about ten years ago, when I asked him about surgery for myself. Things might have changed since then.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 01:23:31 pm »
Lasik surgery sounds scary to me.

As for vision problems I vow never to wear glasses forever.

There are new inventions that correct vision such as http://www.pinhole-glasses.com/

I  just bought 1 pair of these from my friend.  I wore it, my wife borrowed it, my sister in law borrowed it and now it's back with me.

It really works.  There is no need to wear prescription glasses and vision can be corrected.

I'm turning 42 and I have never worn nor been measured for prescription glasses.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 03:23:22 pm »
Pinhole glasses, however, are useless for peripheral vision.

There is the option of "orthokeratology". This involves special contact lenses which are made so that they temporarily alter the shape of the eye, so that people get perfect eyesight as a result. The catch is that one has to remember to put the contact lenses on every night and take them off after waking up. If one forgets to  do so, one starts losing perfect vision after 2 or 3 days. Plus, the specially-made contact lenses cost something like 2,300 pounds to make, so better not lose them!
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 03:33:56 pm »
Pinhole glasses, however, are useless for peripheral vision.

There is the option of "orthokeratology". This involves special contact lenses which are made so that they temporarily alter the shape of the eye, so that people get perfect eyesight as a result. The catch is that one has to remember to put the contact lenses on every night and take them off after waking up. If one forgets to  do so, one starts losing perfect vision after 2 or 3 days. Plus, the specially-made contact lenses cost something like 2,300 pounds to make, so better not lose them!

Link pls!
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline achillezzz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 05:48:17 pm »
you can train your eyes muscles to improve vision!

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 08:22:30 pm »
    It would depend on what the person's vision problem is, and how sensitive their eyes are.  I was told my eyes are too sensitive to risk surgery.  I know people who've gotten it, and in most cases it's lasted well enough for them.  I agree, eye exercises are better, but to each his own.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 08:40:43 pm »
I had severe astigmatism, so no amount of eye exercise would fix that.

My vision was about 20/ 200 and I literally could not make out the giant E on the eye chart. Even with glasses my vision was never 20/20

I had lasik surgery about seven years ago which improved my vision to 20/30 and my vision is still  good at 20/50. I could get an enhancement at some point in the future and possibly even maintain 20/20.

The lasik technology has improved so much in the last 10 years that its become much more precise than ever before and so less tissue has to be burned off to create a more perfect eye, with less structural weakening.
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 08:54:04 pm »
http://www.the-lasik-directory.com/article_customvue1.html

I paid an extra 600 dollars to get a type of custom lasik that is said to be 25 times more precise than the older methods, I remember them getting a computer map of my eye and they used that map as a template to program the laser to just take out the least amount of tissue necessary. Earlier lasik just burned a new sphere over the whole cornea, while the new technology just shaves off the imperfections leaving more of the tissue intact.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 09:50:59 pm by TylerDurden »

Offline klowcarb

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 11:52:31 pm »
I got Lasik in September 2006. I paid for it myself--it was $5,000 at the time. Best money I ever spent and I would do it a million times over.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2011, 01:39:16 am »
My GF and I started sungazing July 17 2009, according to Hira R Manek's method. It is free and easy, only requiring time.

My Gf's eyes were around 3.5 (I thought they were 3.0) At her annual checkup the previous January she was told she would require glasses for driving and an operation for glaucoma involving a small cut to allow fluid to drain at her next annual checkup.

Started SG in July and next appointment in February 2010 the doc checked her twice because he could not understand the results which were;
operation not necessary,
glasses not required for driving,
glasses prescription for reading went to 1.5 (back about ten years in prescription)
she can now read large print books and frequently doesn't need them to read.
She was told by way of explanation that sometimes people's eyes will improve just before they get really bad...

At her latest exam in Feb 2011 she was told her eyes were stable, doing well and she only required a return in two years for a checkup instead of the usual one year interval.

We went up to 45 minutes per session as per the instruction @ 10 seconds and adding 10 seconds more each day, then back to 15 minutes dropping 1 minute per day which we have done for a year, so now we just do it when we can. The instruction says to stand on dry warm sand, dirt or ground of some sort to get optimum results but this is not possible in Canada in the winter.

This is done in the first or last hour of the daylight so that the rays are not as strong. We've had no problems. Our appetite reduced naturally shortly after starting.

Six months after we started the gazing when we were doing approximately 30 minutes was when we started the raw primal diet which has reduced hunger and overeating dramatically

My eyes were around 1.2 for reading and now they are 1.0 or nothing, depending on my diet state of rest and ambient light. Also eating cooked food seems to mess up my vision.

I highly recommend the sungazing. Forget the surgery. Forget drugs.

If you are timid look at the sun initially through closed eyes for the first week or month.

HRM teaches this for free, travels around the world to talk to groups for free. He is retired and is doing this as his goal or public service. I met him in Toronto. He answers all my emails and is very helpful with advice for people who had operations or serious eye issues.
Cheers
Al

Offline p0wer

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2011, 02:56:54 am »
On wikipedia it says it's quite dangerous, and everyone seems to be commenting "in a few years you'll develop cataracts and I don't know what". You think there's some truth to this? I haven't had any problems with the eyes so far so maybe that's why I'm a bit afraid to try, wouldn't want to mess them up.

There's a documentary on sungazing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM9iDdkKZ7M

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2011, 09:49:07 am »
My GF and I started sungazing July 17 2009, according to Hira R Manek's method. It is free and easy, only requiring time.

My Gf's eyes were around 3.5 (I thought they were 3.0) At her annual checkup the previous January she was told she would require glasses for driving and an operation for glaucoma involving a small cut to allow fluid to drain at her next annual checkup.

Started SG in July and next appointment in February 2010 the doc checked her twice because he could not understand the results which were;
operation not necessary,
glasses not required for driving,
glasses prescription for reading went to 1.5 (back about ten years in prescription)
she can now read large print books and frequently doesn't need them to read.
She was told by way of explanation that sometimes people's eyes will improve just before they get really bad...

At her latest exam in Feb 2011 she was told her eyes were stable, doing well and she only required a return in two years for a checkup instead of the usual one year interval.

We went up to 45 minutes per session as per the instruction @ 10 seconds and adding 10 seconds more each day, then back to 15 minutes dropping 1 minute per day which we have done for a year, so now we just do it when we can. The instruction says to stand on dry warm sand, dirt or ground of some sort to get optimum results but this is not possible in Canada in the winter.

This is done in the first or last hour of the daylight so that the rays are not as strong. We've had no problems. Our appetite reduced naturally shortly after starting.

Six months after we started the gazing when we were doing approximately 30 minutes was when we started the raw primal diet which has reduced hunger and overeating dramatically

My eyes were around 1.2 for reading and now they are 1.0 or nothing, depending on my diet state of rest and ambient light. Also eating cooked food seems to mess up my vision.

I highly recommend the sungazing. Forget the surgery. Forget drugs.

If you are timid look at the sun initially through closed eyes for the first week or month.

HRM teaches this for free, travels around the world to talk to groups for free. He is retired and is doing this as his goal or public service. I met him in Toronto. He answers all my emails and is very helpful with advice for people who had operations or serious eye issues.

Wow. Super duper testimonial!  Thank you!

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2011, 12:08:59 pm »
On wikipedia it says it's quite dangerous, and everyone seems to be commenting "in a few years you'll develop cataracts and I don't know what". You think there's some truth to this? I haven't had any problems with the eyes so far so maybe that's why I'm a bit afraid to try, wouldn't want to mess them up.

There's a documentary on sungazing:

Everyone's face seems so wrinkly, except the little girl's.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2011, 08:39:26 pm »

There's a documentary on sungazing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM9iDdkKZ7M
Bearing in mind that the glasses/surgery model is an extremely financially rewarding experience for the professional participants, they have a very good reason to say it is dangerous. Notice that these "scientific" statements have no basis in fact. They give no examples that have been verified.

Wikipedia is sometime referred to as Wackipedia because any fool can edit it. If you are really disgusted by what is written in there as some people have been seriously tarred and feathered such as one of the politicos who worked with John Kennedy, you raise a big enough stink, the entry is titled at the top as being controversial and you are advised to be wary. The guy who worked with Kennedy was accused of being involved in the conspiracy to kill him. This was complete nonsense and the guy managed to have the nonsense expunged.

The medical community (Allopathic) was slammed with a huge study that said upwards to 80% of deaths in the US were associated with doctor/nurse/systemic mistakes. The study was quoted in Wackipedia originally correctly, but when the allopaths saw the entry, they edited and re-edited and watered it down with lying and misinformation till it seemed like only a "wee" problem. Then they added something about herbs and alternative practitioners as being part of the problem. The study was nothing to do with herbs or alternative practitioners, who have been restrained from doing most techniques by the allopaths lip-lock on the medical world in North America.

Remember that doctors do not get through medical school for being stupid. They know how to work the system.
Cheers
Al

Offline Techydude

• Shaman
  • The barefoot raw paleo nudist intactivist naturale
    • View Profile
    • Genital integrity through regenerative medicine
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2011, 10:15:20 pm »
Anyone find success with the Bates Method?

: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bates_method
http://www.i-see.org/bates_nutshell.html

Also uses the sun method as mentioned above. Heard sunlight is eye nourishing and vital for healthy eyes.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2011, 11:57:20 pm »
Iatrogenic deaths is the proper name BTW for what I mentioned in my previous rant : )
This is the wackipedia report that the doctors watered down and made a joke of:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iatrogenesis

Here is another link
http://www.ourcivilisation.com/medicine/usamed.htm
http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/medical/iatrogenic_disease.htm

Just Google Iatrogenic diseases or death and avoid the obviously medical community sites.

I tried the Bates Method and found that it was time consuming, but effective. My eyes are excellent but there used to be a forum that people who used it went to. They seem to get positive results. I knew a guy who did it properly and got very good results, however after a few years he got a bit lazy and the results slid but he didn't go back just reduced his max results.

I remember there being a lot of discussion on palming. That's where you cover both eyes completely with your hands with the eyes wide open. (no visible light) I remember some people saying that they did this for long periods daily and it was very beneficial. Don't ask me why. Some of these people doing it were legally blind and they got some vision from the process.

My GF and I do some of the exercises daily anyways. It's part of our daily routine and takes maybe 5 minutes. You can download the book for free if you keep searching around or buy it. Also practitioners teach it. Not sure about that.

Ayurveda says that the orange sky of sunrise and sunset is a very nourishing spectrum. There is something about it creating vitamin A ......... I am just getting a vague memory of that.

In India there is a celebration in which the celebrants look at the sun briefly.
Cheers
Al

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2011, 01:40:57 am »
I have been doing sun gazing for years without even trying to.

I work about 30 min. away from where I live and each morning I usually drive into the rising sun on the Man o war. Its a semi circular road that rounds a big part of the city. On the way home I get to drive into the setting sun. So each day I let the sun hit my open eye for a good stretch of time. The drive home is sometimes much brighter so I will squint a little so its not so intense or harmful.

I never use sunglasses, but I will wear a ball cap to shade my eyes under the mid day sun.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2011, 01:54:52 am »
I forgot to mention
http://solarhealing.com/solarlinks/

The basic manual dutch or English is on this link;
http://www.sungazing.tk/
Cheers
Al

Offline Techydude

• Shaman
  • The barefoot raw paleo nudist intactivist naturale
    • View Profile
    • Genital integrity through regenerative medicine
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2011, 02:39:26 am »
Yeah the easiest one is:

The peakaboo method: Know the peakaboo game?

Just cup your hands over your eyes so it's completely dark letting no light in. While your eyes are cupped, keep em wide open and gaze for as long as you can. They say start with 5 mins, progressing longer. Very relaxing too esp with calm music, almost meditative.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk