Author Topic: No Indoor Climate Control  (Read 3057 times)

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
No Indoor Climate Control
« on: October 08, 2011, 07:25:33 am »
    Somehow we neglected to pay the gas bill.  I an SO happy and feel so much better today with no heat in the house.  They're hooking us up again in another week.  I am going to enjoy this week.   

PS Another bill came today and it reads nothing about cutting us off.  I feel a lot better anyway, heating and air conditioning make me feel off.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: No Indoor Climate Control
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 09:29:04 am »
You made me giggle saying that your "heat" was off. I sometimes forget that's what climate control is used for by most. Here it dipped down to 89 degrees today and it felt like winter!

I wish I never had to have it myself - but alas - I don't live alone. I much prefer being acclimated to the outdoors. I always want to turn down the air conditioning - at least some - and we keep it around 80. When it's 110 outside and 80 indoors it's too much of a shock. I go around inside in the summer with a sweater on. If I go to a store or restaurant I have to put on layers in summer because the ac is so high. Silly.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 05:10:53 am »
You made me giggle saying that your "heat" was off. I sometimes forget that's what climate control is used for by most. Here it dipped down to 89 degrees today and it felt like winter! ... If I go to a store or restaurant I have to put on layers in summer because the ac is so high. Silly.

Same here Dorothy, I feel like putting on a sweater when going into the stores.  I think it's the lighting though that makes me feel ill.  In our place every time the temperature gets below 76F they turn on the heat, exactly, not living alone hmf.  Even thirty years ago I hated gas heat, or it hated me.  Once I tried electric heat about fifteen years ago I hated that too, and it was middle of winter, I had to hang my head out the window and go outside.  Heck, thirty-five years ago I prefered going out in the snow with a thin shirt and no winter gear, I felt healthy that way.  Alone I've never seen much of a reason to have more modern options than running water, and even running water was something cavemen must have liked or looked for.  But yes, reaclimatization is something we often have to do if not eating enough good raw fat or not at our peak.

"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 09:36:06 am »
If you don't heat your house it will get damp and fall apart, and there'll be lots of fungus. People have always heated their homes.
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 01:17:58 pm »
    Even in dry or hot climates?  I remember a time living in a hot climate.  I didn't have any water heater or furnace or any of that jazz in the house.  It got a teensy bit cool some nights, but closing the windows was enough to solve that.  My Mother was always upset I had no heater, she was sure I'd freeze and get sick.  I never did of course.  The house didn't rot at all either.  I did have to hang my clothes, sheets, curtains and towels in the sun often to prevent fungus.  It rained frequently though. 

We don't have any fungus here, yet.  I have found it helps to use hot water occasionally on the laundry.  Of course cheese gets moldy, and berries, but that's all the time, not because I gave up heat.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 01:32:11 am »
Even here in the dryer, warmer Southwest, mold in unheated and unventilated foreclosed homes is a problem. Any amount of moisture in air of any temperature is capable of condensing to form a mold-favorable environment. It's not necessarily a problem that crops up overnight in every climate, but it's good to be aware of the potential problem.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk