Author Topic: MSM Article Debunking the 8 Glasses of Water per Day thing  (Read 6950 times)

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
MSM Article Debunking the 8 Glasses of Water per Day thing
« on: July 17, 2011, 10:35:46 am »
http://shine.yahoo.com/event/summertimefun/do-you-really-need-8-glasses-of-water-a-day-2512002/

I think we raw omnivores know this already.

But its nice to see this on the front page of Yahoo news.

In his 1967 book, Dr. Henry Bieler already criticized this recommendation as coming from the water bottling companies.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 09:50:08 pm by goodsamaritan »
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline laterade

• Chief
    • View Profile
Re: MSM Article Debunking the 8 Glasses of Water per Day thing
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 10:48:00 am »
I live in the desert, the dry heat has been reaching over 100ºF for a few weeks now..
The last time I drank "water" was in May, about 8 ounces.
Feeling great, in case you were wondering!  ;)

Offline p0wer

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 05:49:08 pm »
While seating in your cold air conditioned room? :)
Go do an hour cycling in that desert at that temperature then tell me you're feeling great with 8 ounces.

Offline Techydude

• Shaman
  • The barefoot raw paleo nudist intactivist naturale
    • View Profile
    • Genital integrity through regenerative medicine
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 07:07:57 pm »
I live in the desert, the dry heat has been reaching over 100ºF for a few weeks now..
The last time I drank "water" was in May, about 8 ounces.
Feeling great, in case you were wondering!  ;)

You haven't had anything to drink in 2 months? LOLWUT! We may have a deity on our hands.

I only drink when i'm thirsty.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 07:18:41 pm »
You haven't had anything to drink in 2 months? LOLWUT! We may have a deity on our hands.
;D
I only drink when i'm thirsty.
You're wise!  ;D I also drink when I'm thirsty and I stop drinking when not thirsty anymore. Isn't that really mind-blowing?
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline p0wer

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 09:04:16 pm »
;DYou're wise!  ;D I also drink when I'm thirsty and I stop drinking when not thirsty anymore. Isn't that really mind-blowing?

Thirst can fool you in many situations. If I go by thirst when cycling for example, dehydration usually hits me in 2-3 hours (depending on temperature and how hard is the ride). With time you learn this but in the beginning..

From http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/dehydration/DS00561/DSECTION=symptoms

Unfortunately, thirst isn't always a reliable gauge of the body's need for water, especially in children and older adults. A better indicator is the color of your urine: Clear or light-colored urine means you're well hydrated, whereas a dark yellow or amber color usually signals dehydration.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 09:32:43 pm »
Never had such problem even when cycling for a whole day (or other situations such as being stuck 3 days at the Irak-Koweit border with 55° C in the truck cabin without AC) and I always drank according to my thirst during my 65 years lived on this planet.

Your quote from your linked website is just contradictory with what it says above:  
Mild to moderate dehydration is likely to cause:
    * Dry, sticky mouth
    * Thirst

Severe dehydration, a medical emergency, can cause:
    * Extreme thirst
    * Very dry mouth, skin and mucous membranes

If it were not the case, all animals and hominids would have died of dehydration before being able to reproduce because there were no website telling them to check the color of their urine to know how much they should drink, therefore we wouldn’t be here to exchange posts.
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline p0wer

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2011, 09:53:37 pm »
Your quote from your linked website is just contradictory with what it says above:  

No it's not. Of course you'll have extreme thirst when dehydrated (although it seems in old people this is not so true), but if you drink only until the thirst is gone it won't be enough. Especially not when you're losing like 2 liters of water per hour. I've seen max 44C on my bike computer, at that temp it's hell cycling on the asphalt, and from my experience senses get messed up at much lower temperatures. Maybe your thirst mechanism works extremely well who knows

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2011, 10:09:00 pm »
No it's not. Of course you'll have extreme thirst when dehydrated (although it seems in old people this is not so true),
After eating cooked junk for 70 years or more, no wonder that their thirst instinct fails. It might be the same for infants fed cow milk and junk.

but if you drink only until the thirst is gone it won't be enough. Especially not when you're losing like 2 liters of water per hour.
You have to drink again, very often. I drank up to 7 liters a day in some situations.

I've seen max 44C on my bike computer, at that temp it's hell cycling on the asphalt, and from my experience senses get messed up at much lower temperatures. Maybe your thirst mechanism works extremely well who knows
Then you're in a real hell, indeed! An animal (nor me!) wouldn't do it but rather stop somewhere and rest in a shady and cool place till the sun goes down...

Offline Techydude

• Shaman
  • The barefoot raw paleo nudist intactivist naturale
    • View Profile
    • Genital integrity through regenerative medicine
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2011, 10:10:05 pm »
Thirst can fool you in many situations. If I go by thirst when cycling for example, dehydration usually hits me in 2-3 hours (depending on temperature and how hard is the ride). With time you learn this but in the beginning..

From http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/dehydration/DS00561/DSECTION=symptoms

Yeah urine is a great indicator as well as dizzyness and always factor in heat.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk