Author Topic: What would you do in my situation?  (Read 4753 times)

Offline bacchus

• Forager
    • View Profile
What would you do in my situation?
« on: June 21, 2011, 06:46:10 am »
Hey

I doubt that I will be able to find a supplier of quality meat in the near future. I also doubt I can afford eating a lot of meat, especially if I want it pastured and hormone-free. This leaves me with a couple of choices:
Fruitbased diet with some raw (organic supermarket) eggs. Kind of like wai, but with vegetables and no weird olive oil n orange juice cocktails
Fruitbased diet with raw eggs and raw grainfed meat (possibly supermarket)
Cooked LCHF-paleo diet. I cook very gently.

I have no car and if I can get a hold of meat in the city it is pretty much only going to be poor grainfed and hormone pumped animals. Maybe some hormone-free and fed organic grains but they will be expensive. Overall I know very little of meat prices, just that the most regular supermarket muscle meats are expensive/calorie compared to bananas. Are there cheap cuts with loads of quality fat calories that one can get at a good price because they are frowned upon by most people? Can I sustain myself on raw animal products on a budget?

Of course long term I plan to live in the forest, harvest wild edibles and hunt down my meals with bow and arrow, but for now I have to settle for 2nd best. Or 3rd best if 2nd is too pricey.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 02:28:22 pm by TylerDurden »

Offline Max

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: What would you do in my situation?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 11:33:55 am »
I don't know,

But if I had to take a stab at it... Eat as much healthy raw grassfed meat and wild game as you can.  Hunt yourself, or make friends with hunters for meat.  Try and find a source of healthy grassfed meat and try to make a deal where you can buy organs and fat cheap.  You can try organic grainfed meat raw and fresh and see how you react.  Then I would eat a lot of eggs (free range, pastured) and eat fruit to make up the rest of your calories.  Also you could try things like coconut butter, and Raw Honey to get your calories.

Do your best, one step at a time.  Make lifestyle changes to give yourself more money for raw foods.  Move if you have to (and want to).  Think of changing careers if it would make you more money, happier or both.  Do the best you can one step at a time, one day at a time.

And keep posting on this forum.  (It has helped me a lot.)
"The strong white teeth sank into the raw and dripping flesh in apparent relish of the meal, but Clayton could not bring himself to share the uncooked meat with his strange host; instead he watched him, and presently there dawned upon him the conviction that this was Tarzan of the Apes....." - Edgar Rice Burroughs, 'Tarzan of the Apes'

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 11:47:20 am »
I won't try to give you information for Sweden, but I hope to give you a little encouragement in your search. I have been eating RVAF for 2 months. At the start, I was unclear about what I would buy and where I would buy it, especially grass-fed beef. As I read more and try new foods, I also learn about what I like and where I can find it within my budget. I mostly buy lamb, eggs and fish now.

I have also given thought to what I will eat when I cannot get RVAF food, which has happened once or twice.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 05:05:25 pm »
You could try and get frozen New Zealand lamb mince (ground meat)

1 - 1 1/2 packets of that a day with a few added eggs or fish to snack on should do you for meat and fat, so if you add it up it might not be too expensive. You can make burgers with that by just shaping and grilling and cook them rare, or it will be fine to go raw.

Failing that, I wouldn't do a 'fruit based' diet. Grain fed meats still going to be better than nothing in the long term by all accounts. If I was in that situation I think I would eat rare grain fed beef burgers, eggs cooked if I didn't trust them and fruit.

I eat standard fruit and try and choose kinds low in pesticide like melon.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 05:36:01 pm by Josh »

Offline klowcarb

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 11:02:51 pm »
Eat lean conventional meat and supplement with grassfed fat.

Offline bacchus

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 03:35:46 am »
Thank you for the responses, it was very helpful.

Offline afroza

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 10:05:05 pm »
Hi Bacchus, fellow Swede!
I know it seems very difficult to find your way to good raw animal foods at first, but start small and take it from there. Sweden has a lot of good raw food, once you know where to look, and a lot of the normal meats in the market is okey, lamb in Sweden is pasture fed most of the time, and most of the beef is out grazing all summer and hay-fed in the winter. Try to buy local as much as possible, that way you can ask what the animals are fed. The sea-food is excellent, any big supermarket with a fish counter will have a variety of wild caught fish to choose from (don´t miss the oysters!). You can contact the local hunters, they usually sell wild game when it´s season. Any big supermarket will have organic, free range chicken meat. I always go shopping on sundays, and often find chicken, fish and meats on discounts because the date is soon to expire and that doesn´t bother me. If you want to try raw dairy you can contact a local farm and buy the milk directly from them. Most farmers have free range eggs, too. There is berries in abundance in the forests, during season.
Good Luck!

Offline achillezzz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 07:15:37 am »
I think the best solution for now is eat the best lean meats you can get and for fat add quality eggs and order some grassfed fat soluble vitamins minerals supplement add fish oil to that eat some salads with fibrous vegetables to have minimal constipation as at first a paleo diet with low carbs tend to make u constipated usually.  And just work your way to get more income or something or even change country??

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2011, 09:09:12 am »
Of course long term I plan to live in the forest, harvest wild edibles and hunt down my meals with bow and arrow

Bow-hunting is apparently illegal in Sweden, sadly... Were you unaware of that, just don't mind, or were you planning to move elsewhere?
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2011, 09:59:29 am »
Eat lean conventional meat and supplement with grassfed fat.
Very clever idea. Fat normally stores toxins or so I have been led to believe.
Cheers
Al

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk