Author Topic: Medicine Men Go Wild  (Read 3158 times)

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Medicine Men Go Wild
« on: December 30, 2011, 07:35:39 am »
If anyone has netflix they should check this show out on instant watch. Overall it is pretty good and I was surprised how many times the doctors concede to the superiority of ancient techniques of medicine presented in the show although they do not concede every time.

Of particular interest however was the third episode in which they visit the Chukchi people who live off of basically a raw paleo diet of seals and whales and such with very little plant matter. One of the doctors takes on their diet for a short period of time and showed improvements in all of the tests he took afterwards.

I was surprised by this fairly unbiased portrayal of the raw meat diet coming from the discovery channel. It showed it in a pretty positive light. Check it out if you get the chance.
-----------

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
Re: Medicine Men Go Wild
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 08:18:06 am »
What a coincidence. I recently finally got around to purchasing and viewing the video CD.
Of particular interest however was the third episode in which they visit the Chukchi people
Yeah, that's the only one I much cared for, though I think it alone is worth the price of admission. It was excellent. I love seeing the Chukchi children laugh while the doctors squirm at the sight and smell of fermented walrus. LOL

One of the doctors takes on their diet for a short period of time and showed improvements in all of the tests he took afterwards.
Unfortunately, the idjit doctors assumed that the Chukchi key to success is omega 3's from seafoods, without realizing that wild land mammal flesh is healthy too.

Wildness is clearly the key factor, based on mountains of evidence, more than the sea. If they had stayed with the caribou-eating inland traditional peoples (Chukchi, Evenk, Nenets, etc.), they probably would have found similar results.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 08:37:06 am »
Unfortunately, the idjit doctors assumed that the Chukchi key to success is omega 3's from seafoods, without realizing that wild land mammal flesh is healthy too.

Wildness is clearly the key factor, based on mountains of evidence, more than the sea. If they had stayed with the caribou-eating inland traditional peoples (Chukchi, Evenk, Nenets, etc.), they probably would have found similar results.

Indeed. Their focus on omega 3 is a bit misguided but i did find the episode relatively unbiased and portraying the chukchis lifestyle in an overall positive light. I think the doctors did truly do their best in trying to get to the bottom of things. Yet years of medical school indoctrinationmake a full understanding of the issue quite difficult.
-----------

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 09:34:05 am »
Indeed. Their focus on omega 3 is a bit misguided but i did find the episode relatively unbiased and portraying the chukchis lifestyle in an overall positive light. I think the doctors did truly do their best in trying to get to the bottom of things. Yet years of medical school indoctrinationmake a full understanding of the issue quite difficult.
The omega 3 angle didn't bother me too awful much (though it's annoyingly reductionist and ignores the splendiferous benefits of high-quality raw saturated fat). It was more the bizarre assumption that only seafoods can be healthy and all land mammals must somehow apparently be magically poisonous that tempts me to hunt them down and cleave their arrogant heads. Utter nonsense.

I do agree that they did at the end of each video make an attempt to move beyond their modern, reductionist biases (with one of them usually only doing so grudgingly and the other more open-mindedly--whether honestly or for drama purposes), which is more than most moderners do. The fact that they didn't utterly condemn the Chukchis for killing animals is a miracle in this misguided, wimpified, artificial age.

Their ignorance re: all the peoples they studied was rather telling, though. I can't imagine traveling thousands of miles and countless hours to study peoples and not bothering to learn jack shit about them before doing so (though maybe this was required by the producers, knowing the bizarre ways that TV and book producers/publishers tend to think).

One confusing element is that the coastal peoples of Siberia are apparently widely varied, which the video doesn't get into.  Reportedly, there are Chukchi, Siberian Yupiks, Sireniki Eskimos, Koryaks, Chuvans, Evens/Lamuts, Yukagirs, etc. on the Eastern Siberian coast, not just Chukchis. Too complex for this world of attention deficits.

One thing I learned from the Chukchi, Inuit, Yupik, zhu/wasi Bushmen and other peoples who live in harsh environs, is that the harsher the environment the less likely it is to be over-exploited (though even harsh environs eventually come under pressure, unfortunately). This is one factor that persuaded me to move back to Vermont from Florida. The general rule is, the harsher the better to live in (as usual, the opposite of what most folks assume), as it keeps many moderners (aka Outlanders, Skraelings, Heavy People, etc.) out and helps preserve traditions (unless moderners discover gold, oil or something else of value in the land).

The harsher the environment the better (as a wise old man once tried to explain to me), the harsher the bed the better, the less cushy the shoe the better, and so on.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 09:44:08 am by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk