Author Topic: Is this Chaga? (In Northern Ireland)  (Read 6150 times)

Offline Brady

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Irishaman
Is this Chaga? (In Northern Ireland)
« on: August 03, 2011, 11:40:35 pm »
Hi Guys,

I have been doing a little research on Medicinal Mushrooms and whether or not they grow where I live (Northern Ireland).
The most likely I thought is Chaga although there doesn't seem to be any eveidence that it grows in Britain or Ireland.
So I decided to go have a look.  After a short walk in a local forest where there are a lot of Birch Trees (Chaga grows on dying Birch Trees) I appear to have hit the Jackpot:

Can anyone with more knowledge or expertise than me confirm if this is indeed Chaga? Are ther any lookalikes that are poisonous? Would appreciate some input.

Many thanks

Brady
The culture and civilization of the White man are essentially material; his measure of success is, "How much property have I acquired for myself?" The culture of the Red man is fundamentally spiritual; his measure of success is, "How much service have I rendered to my people?"

Ernest Thompson Seton

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Is this Chaga? (In Northern Ireland)
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 02:19:02 am »
Looks like it. Is it growing on a birch?

Offline Brady

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Irishaman
Re: Is this Chaga? (In Northern Ireland)
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 09:10:55 pm »
Looks like it. Is it growing on a birch?

Yeah a dead (or dying) Birch.
Are there any lookalikes?
The culture and civilization of the White man are essentially material; his measure of success is, "How much property have I acquired for myself?" The culture of the Red man is fundamentally spiritual; his measure of success is, "How much service have I rendered to my people?"

Ernest Thompson Seton

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk