Author Topic: Zym's Journal  (Read 8591 times)

Offline Fermenter Zym

• Bear Hunter
  • microcosm monkey, navigating inner-space.
    • View Profile
Zym's Journal
« on: February 28, 2012, 08:42:54 am »
Most people find themselves on this forum in a desperate search of a healing diet. Many feel that they have tried everything without success and are willing to unravel every social stigma in order to find peace and avoid pain. I am beginning this journal about my own incomplete search so that people may learn from my successes and mistakes, and thereby decide what is best for their body, their intestinal bacterial symbionts, their spirit, and their joy.

If you ever have any questions concerning my journals and other posts, feel free to private message me.

zym.

---

2/27/12

I began eating raw paleo again after eating a week's long diet of eggs cooked with coconut oil, onions, garlic, and sea salt, as inspired by the full GAPS Diet. Eating mainly raw eggs and some meats was not providing me with enough fat (coconut oil without cooked food was unappealing), so I gave up on RPD that I have been playing around with for a month (with some success) to see if I could develop better stools and get this Candida / Gut problem in order. When I started feeling much worse, I decided I needed to give RPD a more serious try.

I bought two three pound chuck roasts and a 3 pound brisket and maybe 8 pounds of marrow bones from a wonderful local grass-fed supplier and have eaten nearly all of it over the past three days. Yes, that's three pounds of meat/fat a day. I have eaten very little of anything else (just a half cup of fermented ginger carrots this evening), so I essentially have been eating zero carb. From starting this my digestion has been killing me.

I am uncertain if my digestion is hurting because of Candida die-off or an inability to digest raw fats / raw meats. I have had intense cravings for these meats and fats once I had access to them, so instinct tells me its die-off, but it's always hard to tell, as Candida seems to be able to control the human organism to survive (Candida might like the undigested fats). My hope was to continue eating this way for a little while to see if it goes away, which would require that I take another thirty minute trip tomorrow to buy more beef / marrow.

My original plan was to buy A LOT of raw cream to make kefir sour cream as a source of fat and bacteria, but they were all out. The last time I ate kefir sour cream I felt great. I hadn't felt that way in years. I'm waiting on the farm to email me back about when they will be back in stock.

I have to be resilient in continuing the diet for a little to have enough information to decide if I am detoxing or just hurting my gut for food I cannot currently digest. Only time will tell.

Offline Fermenter Zym

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Zym's Journal
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 05:37:40 am »
2/28/12

My digestion still hurts, even though all I have eaten today is raw egg yolks, fermented ginger carrot juice, and filtered water (with some added trace minerals). I am keeping a close eye on my tongue to see if my oral thrush (which is a sign of Candida) goes away, which it is seeming to right now. I have read that fat is antimicrobial, so I consider it a possibility that it is killing off this pathogen.

I am going to purchase more raw beef and raw fat tomorrow and continue to experiment. I would like to get some raw kefir sour cream for probiotics (and taste, it is incredible), but I wouldn't introduce it for at least a few days to a week after continuing to eat raw fat and raw meat.

I have been feeling pretty healthy, despite the digestive pain, which has inspired me to continue going further. Good Samaritan has recommended overdosing on probiotics and I did this a little bit last evening and this morning, but the pain seems to be worse and I don't have the quantity of probiotics right now to continue doing that. I also don't know if I am willing to spend the expense at this time on that experiment.

Offline Fermenter Zym

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 10:22:02 am »
3/14/12

I have been eating a cooked Gut and Psychology Syndrome diet consisting of just fermented vegetable juices, bone broths, and chicken and have felt relatively good (with the exception of an ulcer which began when eating raw fats). I felt good until today when I ate a soup with cooked cauliflower, chicken, and coconut oil and felt incredibly spacey. I am unsure if it was caused by this or caused by drinking two GT's Kombucha's earlier in the day or possible die-off the raw garlic from the day before and the morning of (The garlic made my digestive pains much worse). I would like to get back more on a raw diet and am craving raw meats, but believe I can't digest raw fats. I plan on taking the advice of Good Samaritan and using more probiotics, and I am considering introducing raw kefir in order to inculcate my gut with bacteria.

I am struggling to find the balance of enjoying food and enjoying life to finding health and sticking to a diet plan. I will soon start working at an organic vegetable farm which will put me right by a great raw dairy and meat distributor so I am glad that I can continue to explore my diet choices. I am also starting to realize the importance of the mind and the breath in my healing and am enjoying the journey. I often feel like the wounded healer, and hope this path will bring me peace and joy.

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 10:26:13 am »
whoa zym those pictures are awesome haha!
i bet it was the GT's that made you spacey, that stuff used to space me out, kinda get me drunk feeling, i drank ALOT when they first came out and for a while thought it might be growing in my ears(no joke) so i discontinued and cannot even think about tasting that stuff again, toooooooo yeasty for sure, even homemade stuff and vinegar i stay away from

Offline Fermenter Zym

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 10:42:04 am »
whoa zym those pictures are awesome haha!
i bet it was the GT's that made you spacey, that stuff used to space me out, kinda get me drunk feeling, i drank ALOT when they first came out and for a while thought it might be growing in my ears(no joke) so i discontinued and cannot even think about tasting that stuff again, toooooooo yeasty for sure, even homemade stuff and vinegar i stay away from

I have read kombucha is antagonistic to the bacteria that causes ulcers, which I have been struggling for a couple weeks. Do you happen to know any other recommendations for ulcers?

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 10:48:02 am »
raw cabbage juice....perhaps even fermented? but for sure the raw stuff

Offline Fermenter Zym

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 09:12:53 pm »
That's a good idea. I made a bunch of sauerkraut so I think I will juice that and then get some cabbage soon. I remember reading somewhere that drinking a liter of cabbage juice a day will get rid of ulcers. That's a lot of cabbage juice!

Do you have any idea how I can better digest raw fats? Should I eat pancreas or just start eating more butter (which also contains the fat enzyme lipase)?

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 09:52:18 pm »
enzymes help a lot while you body is healing, also anything that stimulates and builds health to the gallbladder, liver and pancrease.  for me drinking stimulating teas like oregon grape root help.  also if you can get some raw butter, sour cream, and do you eat egg yolks?  i know that my gallbladder took hell from seed and nut butters and oils but using enzymes and switching to animal based fats has really made a great improvement in my digestion and absorbtion, do you like liver?

Offline Fermenter Zym

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 11:10:03 pm »
Thanks Jessica, I am considering some enzymes from Pancreas or from Dr. Ron's Pancreas supplement. I do like liver but haven't eaten it for a while. I should definitely get back into eating more organ meats.

--

3/15/2012 11:00 AM

I just ate some cooked chicken and coconut oil, which was a leftover. The right side of my body is in pretty severe pain now and my feet from the ankles down are in pain. I believe this symptom is related to eating cooked vegetables or kombucha last evening as this is a very similar symptom I had when travelling in the past and eating cooked cabbage and coconut oil. At that time my toes and my fingers felt like they were losing circulation. I feel a similar sensation but for both whole feet right now.

I'm glad to have this opportunity of experimenting with other foods, especially cooked foods. It is helping me to see the comparison of my physical health when eating raw versus cooked. When eating raw I experience poor mental health just because of a feeling of being socially isolated and awkward, so if I can accept my raw diet and move past that, I can experience both physical and mental health. It's not worth being in pain to eat an enjoyable food.

Now the question is whether I will be able to tolerate raw butter as a source of fat when I return to Philadelphia. And what should I eat for the next five days in Pittsburgh?

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 02:27:46 am »
have you ever thought it might be the coconut oil?

Offline Fermenter Zym

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 03:32:33 am »
have you ever thought it might be the coconut oil?

If the coconut oil does anything negative, it's usually just the feeling of being sick to my stomach. I'll definitely keep an eye out for it and compare my symptoms. Thanks for helping me, Jessica. I feel less confused and burdened when you provide your insight.

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2012, 11:27:37 pm »
hows your belly doing? have you tried cabbage juice?  there is a pretty simple way to make juices if you dont have a juicer, if you go to a health food store and purchase fine mesh produce bags you can use them as a super strong strainer.  i would roast the plethora of zuchinni we had on the farm to soften them and get the fibers broken down, blend it up and then pour the mush in one of those bags and squeeze the ! out of it, it strained out most of the fiber, but not all which is fine...always chew your juice regardless!  it was seriously the most mineralizing water to me....so sweet and delicious...doing something similar might help, i also suggest red cabbage + cilantro juice.  i also thought if you can find a source of whey that might help the gut better then kefir or kombucha.  but definitely try eggs and butter to heal your intestines.
i wanted to let you know i made some carrot kraut using a starter batch from some seriously fermented raw kraut i bought at the health food store.... rejuvenative foods brand.  i looooove their kraut, and this stuff bubbled up out of the jar its so alive so i grated up some carrots and added a little salt and water and a few spoonfuls of the bubbly cabbage in your honor.  tasted it today its already noticeably sourer :)  also

Offline Fermenter Zym

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2012, 11:36:35 pm »
Hey I'm still out of town so I unfortunately have not been able to do much in terms of changing my diet for the better. I will definitely do that though. I will probably use kefir whey, butter, and cabbage use when I return home to Philadelphia. Thank you so much for your help again!

Speaking of fermented goodness... do you think that fermented veggies are problematic in a raw diet wherein the majority of what one eats is meat / fat / dairy?

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2012, 11:44:25 pm »
yeah i think it was best explained here in these forums that eating fermented veggies only makes sense if you are planning on digesting veggies, and fermented meat for meat, dairy for dairy, etc....because it will contain the proper and native bacteria for digesting those particular foods.  since i love/crave vegetables i have started to make sure that i eat at least a little fermented veggies with my meal, seriously in the last week my digestion is excellent, the same goes for meat and dairy...a little fermented/high with eat serving of not so high. since you are going to be doing raw cabbage it would be best to take down a bit of fermented juice/kraut with it.  it just depends on what your body is craving to eat and what works best...i think our food is so devoid of any bacteria and life that it is best to promote it anyway possible.

Offline Fermenter Zym

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2012, 11:54:22 pm »
Thanks. That's a really interesting perspective. Do you struggle with eating high meats while living on a farm with people whom I presume do not eat raw?

That's the situation I'm finding myself.

Offline Adora

• Chief
  • to thine own self be true ... Shakespeare
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2012, 03:30:22 am »
Hi Zym
   I feel your pain too. It hasn't been an exponential road to health for me either. I think you should try raw pancreas. I eat it as often as I can. I never disliked it, but I only ate a bit at first. Each time I eat it, I like, and want more of it. It is creamy, that's the insulin. I like it mostly for that, but it is the easiest thing I have ever digested. I've never tried the supplement you mentioned. If it had to be frozen I think it would still be very good.
   I like your earlier post with the wounded healer poster. I don't know if you like meditation, but I like one called the wounded healer a lot, it is from healingtowholness.com, it seemed appropriate so I thought I'd include it. Anyway your post helped me to feel better about the wounded healer thing myself.
                                                             The Wounded Healer
In Process Coaching we are the Healer when we come to the aid of a part of ourselves. And interestingly there is a shadow aspect to the Healer. The 'Wounded Healer' is a powerful archetype in the healing arts. Carl Jung uncovered this archetype in himself and traced it back seven millennia to the ancient Greek myths of Chiron, the wounded centaur, and his student Asclepius, who later became the god of medicine and healing.

The archetype is probably older than this, however. Many shamanic traditions have held that a healer must first be wounded themselves before they can be truly effective in helping another heal. When we have known pain and suffering ourselves, we can relate well with another's wounding, and feel a deep desire to heal. Process Coaching is like shamanism in this way, however rather than an external shaman doing the healing, we are the one who heals our own inner wounds.

Healing happens when we give unconditional love to the hurt, scared and angry parts of ourselves. The Healer identity is necessary to deliver the potent healing medicine of real love to the feeling parts that are triggered. However, this can only happen when we are actually the self-parental Healer, and therefore resourceful enough to fully love the parts of self that have been experiencing pain.

Ironically, one of the most common experiences we have when identified as the Healer is to become wounded; we get triggered and lose ourselves in an imprint. One moment we are resourceful and self-parental, going about our life in love and harmony, and then suddenly we're triggered. Something happens 'to' us, and in an instant of shock our resourceful state slips away and a painful state takes over.

The Healer is wounded and becomes temporarily disabled. 'I am' the Healer and I have just been triggered. With identity being flexible, the 'I am' quickly shifts to a hurt part of self. Now 'I am' hurt. A typical exclamation at times like these could be, "Oh (expletive), not again!" Or, "What's wrong with me!" Or, "I can't believe I did that!? Judgments may also come rushing in to make the pain even worse, "Stupid," "Worthless," "I'll never be able to..."' The rush to judge or blame ourselves is a powerful clue that we are wounded and not the loving Healer.

So who heals the Healer? The answer of course is the real Healer. By definition, the real Healer is resourceful, non-imprinted and in complete acceptance of whatever is happening. This means that the wounded Healer is a fragment like any other hurt part of self that needs help.

Becoming disabled like this is not wrong or bad, in fact it's good. Painful experiences are one of the ways the Universe wakes us up to an opportunity to evolve and heal. And if there had not been a lost part of self that was already wounded, this experience of pain couldn't have happened. The present circumstance is triggering a reenactment of an older, much deeper trauma. An old wound is being reopened and the healing of the deeper trauma is now possible.

As we feel into our wounds with love and compassion, they let us know about what has been in our shadow. We then have the opportunity to reclaim these parts of self by loving them back into wholeness with the rest of us. And in this way the Healer persona evolves into an ever more resourceful Healer. The more we heal, the more we learn and the more quickly we evolve toward wholeness.

The most important part of the following practice is to realize that you have just been triggered, and therefore you are no longer the real Healer. An easy way to discover this is to realize that right now you don't fully accept what is happening in the moment. Another important element of the practice is to remember that the Healer's Creed is still true: "The Universe is good and operating correctly at all times." And I now have an opportunity to become more of who I truly am.

The Wounded Healer Practice

The first step in healing is simply to have the awareness that you are triggered and falling into an imprint. It only takes a few seconds to regain the Healer identity if awareness of being triggered comes quickly enough, before a story can develop and a victim identity becomes established. And even if this awareness didn't come quickly enough to reestablish yourself as the Healer right away, this practice can still be done at any time after the triggering event.

Here are the steps:

1. Experience that you've just been triggered. (To experiment with this without being triggered, or to practice it after the fact, remember a triggering event that happened recently.) In Observer Positiion, look back and see that the trigger was experienced by the person you just were, and see that this is only a part of your whole self.

2. Do a deep denial release and/or judgment release, if necessary.

3. As the observer, look back on the event and realize that in that situation you were doing the best you could. Also see that there was some unconsciousness on your part. And most importantly, see that what you just experienced was supposed to happen. Yes, even at that moment, the Universe was good and operating correctly!

4. Say to yourself, "This was supposed to happen." Right now you don't have to know why it was supposed to happen, you are simply trusting that there was a good purpose, and that more will be revealed eventually.

5. From a high observer position, again look back at yourself at the moment of the experience and take loving Spirit's point of view. See yourself as a learner who is evolving, and remember that experiences like these are part of the learning process.

6. Now open your heart as the Healer and channel unconditional love to this recent part of yourself. Feel compassion for that part of you that was trying so hard and was as unconscious as you were at the time. And besides, this event was supposed to happen.

7. Once you have regained your true identity as the real Healer and you are no longer identified as a hurt part of yourself or as a disabled healer, you can find the place in your body where you felt the initial trigger.

8. Feel into the energy of the feeling in your body, and use Deep Practice, Loving LIfe Force Energy, or any of the other Process Coaching tools to bring unconditional loving acceptance to the part that had been triggered.

know thyself and all of the mysteries of the gods and the universe will be revealed.
Oracle at Delphi

Then began I to thrive, and wisdom to get,
I grew and well I was;
Each word led me on to another word,
Each deed to another deed.
Odin, who chose to be weak and hang form the tree of the world (the universe), to capture the Runes (wisdom), so he (omnipotent) grew...
Each true word and deed leads to my manifestation of the true me.

Offline Fermenter Zym

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2012, 11:23:02 pm »
3/23/2012

I began eating raw paleo again two days ago with some liver, chuck roast, and beef fat. I noticed a worsening of candida symptoms in my throat and mouth so that is some concern, as I have also been feeling quite spacey as well. I drank about a cup of raw kefir yesterday and felt good after drinking it but had some pain in my toes and today I now have pain in my knees and joints (which could also possibly be attributed to the fat worsening the candida symptoms). I am planning on driving to a local raw dairy so that I can get some quality butter and cream (to ferment into kefir sour cream), but am worried to introduce it until after a conference I am teaching at this weekend. It would probably be wisest to not introduce it all until Monday. We'll see.

Offline Adora

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2012, 06:05:28 am »
It is spring and my cream is yummier than ussual I hope it helps. You could make it now while the fat is richer and just save the kefir until you're ready. I let my kefir sit on my counter after I have strained the grains out until it really separates, then I let it strain through a fine mesh strainer. It is metal and were not supposed to let it touch metal, but I do it anyway. I make soft cheese this way. I've been adding fresh herbs lately to it too.
know thyself and all of the mysteries of the gods and the universe will be revealed.
Oracle at Delphi

I grew and well I was;
Odin, who chose to be weak and hang form the tree of the world (the universe), to capture the Runes (wisdom), so he (omnipotent) grew...

Offline Fermenter Zym

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2012, 07:02:12 am »
Oh I do that too. Well I actually let mine ferment for like two days with the grains then possibly another day without. Then its really sour!

What's your diet consist of, Adora?

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2012, 08:43:40 am »
3/23/2012

I began eating raw paleo again two days ago with some liver, chuck roast, and beef fat. I noticed a worsening of candida symptoms in my throat and mouth so that is some concern, as I have also been feeling quite spacey as well. I drank about a cup of raw kefir yesterday and felt good after drinking it but had some pain in my toes and today I now have pain in my knees and joints (which could also possibly be attributed to the fat worsening the candida symptoms). I am planning on driving to a local raw dairy so that I can get some quality butter and cream (to ferment into kefir sour cream), but am worried to introduce it until after a conference I am teaching at this weekend. It would probably be wisest to not introduce it all until Monday. We'll see.

Joint pain from dairy CAN be calcium buildup in the joints.  Butter contains almost no minerals, so it wouldn't cause calcium buildup.

Offline Adora

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2012, 03:23:47 am »
I eat raw grass fed dairy. I stopped about a month because without soap and crystal deodorant on my pits I stink. I think I just have more bacteria because my sweat smells sweet before it starts to stink. I think it's just a diabetic thing, but I thought it was a dairy allergy, but I didn't smell any better without it so I enjoy it now whenever I want. I get fresh beef when I can. I ate a little raw pork with no problem, but I'm not comfortable with it raw. Though I have no good reason so, occasionally I eat cooked pork. I was cooking my egg whites but I've  been eating the whole egg raw and liking lately - before raw whites upset my stomach. I eat all fresh uncooked vegetables, raw chicken, and fish. I started eating all I want of fresh fruit about a week ago. I supplement with 2-3 emergency C life's, I add clay water and gel to most of my water and when I feel like it. I eat fat from meat and around organs as much as I can. I just started eating raw coco beans. That's about it.  :)
Oracle at Delphi

I grew and well I was;

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk