Author Topic: Night cramp  (Read 11523 times)

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Night cramp
« on: December 10, 2011, 02:39:24 am »
I woke up today to a pretty bad leg cramp for the first time in my life. I ate my first wild hare yesterday which may be related. I also heard it may indicate a lack of potassium or b12 and b6. Does anybody know anything about this?
-----------

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Night cramp
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 12:35:22 am »
I woke up today to a pretty bad leg cramp for the first time in my life. I ate my first wild hare yesterday which may be related. I also heard it may indicate a lack of potassium or b12 and b6. Does anybody know anything about this?

Leg cramps number one association is with dehydration. This can affect the balance of potassium and sodium, concentrations of certain minerals and vitamins and your electrolyte balance in general. Instead of trying to figure out what mineral or nutrient might be lacking - try increasing water (or increased fat if your fat intake is low) first. That might be all it takes to balance it out. The hare could be a coincidence or the proverbial straw that broke down an on-going imbalance or deficiency or level of dehydration or took your inflammation to a new high. My way is to always start with the simplest and easiest and more accepted cause - that would be dehydration. In the mean time heat, massage and stretching can help.

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 01:15:58 am »
It probably is dehydration since I made a point of drinking less water after reading that aajonus said processed water (ie unnatural/not spring water) is bad for you and just leaches away nutrients. On the other hand he drinks plenty of raw milk which probably serves to hydrate him rather than water. I however cant get raw milk since this piece of crap government made it illegal in New York. Yet its perfectly legal to gorge on mcdonalds while sipping diet coke. Iv been searching for raw milk for a couple months now with no luck. It seems like its easier to get a pound of heroin in this city than a glass of raw milk which is ridiculous. I guess ill start drinking some more water and see how that goes.
-----------

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 02:54:23 am »
You probably know these sources already - but just in case:

# New York City: Amaar Milk, Moady Amaar, Phone: (862) 262-4449, Email: m_amaar80@yahoo.com . Organic grass-fed cow and goat dairy products, cheeses, pastured eggs, meats, raw local honey, healthy oils, snacks, more. They deliver to the NY metro area including all of New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, and Westchester. Dairy comes from Pennsylvania farms. Click here for reader feedback on Amar Milk.
# New York City: Udder Milk Creamery Co-op offers milk from two farmers that have mixed herds of cows, including Short Horns, Dutch Belted, Guernseys, Brown Swiss and some Jerseys, and two farmers with all-Jersey herds. They deliver to New York City, Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island, Westchester and all of New Jersey. No delivery charge. Visit http://www.uddermilk.com/ to become a member.

When I lived in NYC before the internet and was a raw vegan I thought to myself - "Hey, maybe I can get raw milk - that's probably good for me too!" So I called a farm upstate and I never heard such an angry self-righteous person in all my life (and that's a lot to say for a New Yorker). She wanted to know my name and if I had kids and I thought for sure she wanted to report me and get me jailed for all eternity for even thinking about drinking raw milk. I stopped looking - until not long ago when others on the internet helped me find a source here. Lots of farmers won't even put their names on realmilk.com for fear of being attacked by the authorities - but they're out there!

How I found sources was through my local Weston A. Price foundation. Email the person that runs yours and see if they can direct you. They have to be really careful so you might have to go to a meeting or something - but it's worth it. Be as gentle as you can possible be for a Troll.  :P They scare easy.

http://www.wprice-nyc.org/

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 02:57:35 am »
Well apparently amaar is a fraud and udder milk isnt operating anymore. I tried weston a price and they linked me to a distributor who i registered with online but its been a week and no response. As far as going to a meeting they dont have any new ones listed. It makes me so angry how difficult this is.
-----------

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 03:23:58 am »
I used to get raw milk on the d/l at Union Square. Grain fed to some degree for sure.

There is - or was - some Amish coop that delivered @ usually some out of the way drop off in Brooklyn or Queens. Like...way out. A buddy of mine was on it and would get me things. I don't have a current lead but I am near positive SOMEONE is getting their raw milk in NYC. Ask around the market to start even though no one there will likely have raw grass-fed milk. Theres a place called 'The Meat Hook" in Brooklyn that has great meat now (there was no place to go when I was there). They might know. if not... great meat.

I know alot of people expect the worst, but I can't imagine this food legality thing will hold up in the coming years. I'm not big on milk now, but I've always through it would be cool to have a Korova Milk Bar in NYC, maybe a back room for RAF...

---

Cramps for me was an adjustment thing..I believe. I got them so incredibly badly and then now..pretty much none. Hmm...none, even with shifting into more forefront running/squatting. I do eat some Redmonds salt (or add it to water anyway) but probably not even at a dose people would generally see as beneficial. Even amongst the most dogmatic, some salt is seen as beneficial in moderate amounts for some folks. Other dietary factors also likely contribute, but seems to be common with LC folks.

No way I would go without water without doing the regular juices/milk/tomatoes etc.. I think this is the worst construed point of AV. Alot of people report problems with digestion and water when eating in the way he recommends - so that is one thing - but as per the minerals thing I wouldn't worry about that till down the road (if at all) as you are going to do more harm than good that way, without the other hydrating food/high 'lubricating' fresh fats etc..

Making some trips to get real spring water, always a good thing as well
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 03:30:10 am by KD »

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 11:53:53 am »
Just tell people you want the raw milk for your pets.  It's much easier. But yes, the WAPF people are the best ones to talk to.  They always have sources.

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2011, 04:03:04 pm »
I tried union square and everyone there is EXTREMELY paranoid about selling raw milk now. I wouldnt want it unless totally grass fed anyway.
-----------

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2011, 08:45:20 pm »
I've purchased raw milk from Shunpike Dairy in Millbrook, NY before. It would be a long drive for you though; it's probably 1 1/2 to 2 hours north of the city. It was good quality milk though and I guess if you could work out a co-op run weekly or bi-weekly it might be worth it for a couple people to go in together. :)

AFAIK it's not illegal to buy it in the state but I think you're supposed to buy it at the farm.
Connecticut might be another option for you. It's legal to buy in stores there.
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2011, 08:55:12 pm »
Cramps for me was an adjustment thing..I believe. I got them so incredibly badly and then now..pretty much none. Hmm...none, even with shifting into more forefront running/squatting. I do eat some Redmonds salt (or add it to water anyway) but probably not even at a dose people would generally see as beneficial. Even amongst the most dogmatic, some salt is seen as beneficial in moderate amounts for some folks. Other dietary factors also likely contribute, but seems to be common with LC folks.

No way I would go without water without doing the regular juices/milk/tomatoes etc.. I think this is the worst construed point of AV. Alot of people report problems with digestion and water when eating in the way he recommends - so that is one thing - but as per the minerals thing I wouldn't worry about that till down the road (if at all) as you are going to do more harm than good that way, without the other hydrating food/high 'lubricating' fresh fats etc..

Making some trips to get real spring water, always a good thing as well

I agree with KD. For some reason many people who try out LC/ZC report having cramping how you describe. I had it on and off over the first year but each instance would be a shorter duration and I haven't had any problems for a long time.

I too use a bit of Redmond's Real Salt but I sprinkle it on my meat. I also drink a fair amount of water each day (1/2-1 gallon). I try to time most of the water between waking and my first meal so that I don't disturb digestion. I probably drink 1/4 of my water intake between my first meal and bed unless I have a meal high in lean meats which makes me thirstier.
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2011, 09:00:31 pm »
Well apparently amaar is a fraud and udder milk isnt operating anymore. I tried weston a price i

Udder milk sent out the bimonthly order request on November 23, 2011. They are impossible to deal with though, unless you win the trillion dollar lottery.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2011, 01:09:59 am »
I just got a response from a club that delivers to nyc after waiting a while and it appears as though I will be getting some raw dairy this week. Its the connect I got through weston price.
-----------

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2011, 08:56:30 am »
I just got a response from a club that delivers to nyc after waiting a while and it appears as though I will be getting some raw dairy this week. Its the connect I got through weston price.

WOOT!!! Yeehah!

I wish you happy, healthy drinking.

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2011, 04:25:29 am »
Thanks, I will let everyone know how it goes. I know the dairy drinking is controversial here so I will be drinking lots of it to judge the effect for myself.
-----------

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
  • country chickens and lambs and wild bugs
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2011, 01:33:10 pm »
You can buy raw cow milk (grassfed) or goat milk from my farmer. They deliver twice in a month all over NYC and NJ area.
bugs or country chickens

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk