Author Topic: Diatomaceous earth  (Read 3697 times)

Offline jamiekelly

• Forager
    • View Profile
Diatomaceous earth
« on: January 06, 2011, 08:24:14 am »
i wonder if anyone has any experience with food grade Diatomaceous Earth?

Offline 00nightstorm

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
Re: Diatomaceous earth
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 12:24:29 am »
I got an email from a local producer in Florida and they said this was only "natural" herbicide they used on their pasture.  Does anyone have any information on it?

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 12:34:53 am »
Diatomaceous earth is crumbled fossil creatures (called diatoms). It looks like a white powder, but each particle has a sharp surface that is capable of lacerating the body of pests like slugs and snails, thereby killing the pest. It is also a dessicant, and can make the ground inimical to the life cycle of fleas (by dessicating their eggs). Therefore, it is a pesticide, not an herbicide.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 01:36:55 am »
Be careful! There are two forms of diatomaceous earth. One is food grade and the other is not. Fire ants started to be attracted to my chickens' food so I put a little food grade DE in it and now the ants leave it and the coop alone. In the future I will put it AROUND their food dish and not in it. Chickens have crops where they will eat tiny sharp things to break down their food - so I doubt DE would hurt them - but I still don't want to take the chance if I don't have to with my girls. Many chicken foods include DE because it prevents bugs from getting into and eating the grains. 

People have used it to try to cure cancer - but I would not suggest it. It is a pesticide that does exactly what Eve said it does. People will spread it around the periphery of their homes even. As far as I'm concerned it's better than the chickens getting eaten by fire ants - but not to be used internally generally. Food grade should always be used as a precaution just in case it gets on or in pets or yourself - but eating something too sharp and dehydrating for bugs to live through contact with I wouldn't chance no matter what the claims are. Even as a pesticide it's a pretty nasty thing to do killing out all the bugs in an area if you use it all around your home and the bugs you kill will be going to a pretty horrific death. When it comes to fleas and dogs I find it better to give the dogs herbs to strengthen them and kill out all sorts of worms and bugs during the season which includes heart worms from mosquitoes which cannot be controlled by DE and keep the dogs' immune systems strong to fight off invaders generally.

There are very good gentle herbs that can be used internally instead and better cancer cures. But it's great when you have chickens and ants!

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 02:47:34 am »
I believe it is also used as a way to eliminate bedbugs
Cheers
Al

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk