Author Topic: Keeping Meat and Fat in the Fridge for Week(s)  (Read 9011 times)

Offline Isthmus

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
Keeping Meat and Fat in the Fridge for Week(s)
« on: October 10, 2011, 03:00:13 am »
I want to buy a large cut of meat to keep me going for like a week, maybe longer - cutting off what I want as I go.

I wanted tips or advice anyone might have in doing this. Do you have some suggestions of what cut of beef would be a good one? And does anyone have any experience of how long and how well it would keep in a fridge?

Also a source of fat to keep me going too. What about a large slab of suit? What is suet like, is it a good source of fat? Or what other rich sources of fat are there in beef?

Thanks for your help. Just as I have really got stuck into RP I am living away from my source of meat, and if I could buy in quantity and keep it going for a week or longer the better - that would be awesome.

Peace,
Isthmus
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 04:10:25 am by TylerDurden »

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Keeping Meat and Fat in the Fridge for Week(s)
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 08:31:43 am »
I do what you are asking about in a standard urban refrigerator. I buy a 4" thick "London broil" (top sirloin) steak, which weighs 4 - 5 pounds. I specify "Do not trim the fat." This fat tastes better than suet to me, and has a great mouth feel,  plus it is available, whereas suet is a hassle for me to find. I keep the cut of meat on a rack in the vegetable bin of my refrigerator. The meat gets a little aged, and I prefer the taste and tenderness when it is more than a week old. The surface gets that high-meat slime, but since it's only on the surface, the taste goes well with the rest of the beef without being overpowering.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 03:03:37 pm »
You can keep it up to 2 months hung this way in a fridge in which it is not too damp.
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 03:07:18 pm »
More photos. Most have already been posted but are sunk in the deep waters of this forum.
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 07:30:19 pm »
What is the white powdery looking stuff? in x.jpg?
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 08:18:17 pm »
A kind of very tasty yeast that naturally grows on the meat surface after a fridge has contained meat for a year or two and thus has been automatically seeded. This wild-boar meat was in that fridge for 2 months or so. Horse meat becomes most easily like that, as pointed out by Hannibal in some thread.

Offline RogueFarmer

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2011, 11:12:34 pm »
Yum, that looks really good iggy, I'm jealous. Can't wait to get my own meat fridge.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 08:31:24 am »
Iguana, WOW... Did you have bad results before you got this nice yeast? Like some growth that tasted bad? Or was it just nothing and then this yeast?

Does your fridge have a fan or anything special?
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline Isthmus

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011, 09:30:08 pm »
Hey eveheart, thanks for the advice. I think I'll experiment with a steak cut too. Do you store any other types of beef cuts?

Yeah Iguana, pretty cool pics. The yeast reminds me of salami, which can look similar. Sadly I am sharing a kitchen and fridge at the moment (student), so I don't have enough space to be hanging meat. Something I have been doing is turning the meat and replacing the plate it sits on with a dry one (in the fridge).

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2011, 01:48:24 am »
Hey eveheart, thanks for the advice. I think I'll experiment with a steak cut too. Do you store any other types of beef cuts?

I live in a small studio apartment and need refrigerator space for food for my grandchildrens' frequent visits, so I limit my muscle-meat storage to the two vegetable bins for a total of about 10 pounds of meat with good aeration. If it weren't for my family and career, I'd pack my tent and move to sabertooth's or iguana's and somehow convince them to feed me.

Something I have been doing is turning the meat and replacing the plate it sits on with a dry one (in the fridge).

This is how I keep organ meats. I buy enough at one time to last a week or less, or I freeze the excess when I have to buy a lot at once. That's my best option for the time being. I'm looking for someone to share a lamb or goat with me so I can buy the whole animal and get all of the offal. (That's in the San Francisco south bay area, plenty of good animals available within a two-hour drive.)
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2011, 07:43:49 pm »
Iguana, WOW... Did you have bad results before you got this nice yeast? Like some growth that tasted bad? Or was it just nothing and then this yeast?

Does your fridge have a fan or anything special?

No bad results. There was nothing special and then this yeast, which happens more easily on horse meat. If the piece becomes too damp, moist on surface, I take it out of the fridge and put it in the air flow of a fan for a few hours, as one the pictures show.

The fridge I have now has no fan, but it would be better with one.

Two more photos:

Offline Isthmus

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2011, 01:03:14 am »
Alright. Well I've been eating my raw beef heart for like four days now, as my staple along with some lamb's liver and raw Chicken. I'm feel I'm still a raw paleo newbie, though I've been gradually getting into it for close to a year. I'm basically 100% raw now, paleo except for dairy and goat milk.

The raw beef heart (been frozen I believe) is really good tasting, some of the easiest meat to eat in terms of flavour and texture (for a newbie) I have come across. Which might be surprising to people who haven't tried it before.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk