Author Topic: 'Unpasteurized Honey '  (Read 2792 times)

Offline Zack

• Forager
    • View Profile
'Unpasteurized Honey '
« on: February 14, 2014, 08:20:59 am »
So far the best honey I have found is one that has been heated to 60 degrees C (140 degrees F). Is this too hot?

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: 'Unpasteurized Honey '
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 08:43:15 am »
Yes, too hot. You want to stay under 35 C (95 F), and you probably won't get anyone to give you the actual numbers in degrees.

Instead, you can ask about extraction method. Since raw, unfiltered honey can be extracted by centrifuge in which the outer walls of the centrifuge are warmed so that the honey flows into the containers, you can look for honey that has been extracted by hand without heat. There are lots of threads on this forum about raw honey. You can snoop around there to find more information, or maybe someone else will post their favorite source here.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline Zack

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 04:10:37 pm »
I wanted to get Really Raw Honey. Sucks that they don't ship to Canada. Anyone know any good suppliers that will ship to Edmonton, Alberta?

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 01:00:10 am »
How about local beekeepers? They are everywhere. I went to a local beekeeper monthly meeting that I found out about online, learned about things like extraction methods and use of pesticides(!), and meet some local beekeepers that sell their honey at various places. It was very informal... I ended up buying honey from one family, who left the honey on their doorstep and I left a check in the mailbox.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk